Does muscle mass stands to you as you age?

Discussion in 'Deadbear's Gym' started by I'll Be Waiting, May 2, 2018.

1. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

A mate of mine told me that if you increase your muscle mass, it'll stand to you later on in life. Because it will eventually happen, that your muscles will begin to degrade beyond a certain age... and it's then that it'll apparently stand to you. So I asked him if this means that Justin Gatlin (100 m sprinter) will age better than Mo Farah (long distance runner)? But he said he wasn't quite sure.

This might sound logical to most people, but to me, I never thought of it in terms of muscle mass. I always thought that as long as you're consistently keeping every muscle group active, that that would be enough to stand to you later in life. Am I right? Or should I start to bulk up a bit in another decade, in anticipation of ageing starting?

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Check out Stallone doing chin up @72, but Id also say if you build big muscles and age ya probably get flabby like old people. Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger for example/ I dont understand what you mean by stand,, you mean hold up, longevity of muscles. ??

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Testosterone decreases with age, making it harder to build, much less maintain muscle mass. A person who trains regularly and hard enough, and eats a suitable diet, can maintain a good amount of muscle mass into their later years, but probably not as much as when they were younger. TRT (Testosterone Replacement Therapy) can help with this.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, i'm stumped by the "stand to you" reference. i've never heard of that, and google apparently hasn't either.

5. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

Is this what you meant to say?
    Well I've been hearing a lot about how if you take testosterone supplements, that your body then gets poorer at producing its own testosterone if the supplements are taken away. I say they might well be too good to be true.

But you haven't answered my question.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  6. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

7. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

Well I guess what I meant, is that it'll be of benefit to you... more specifically, that you're body won't go frail.

Are you being smart?

8. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

Why is he using the weight if he can't get his chin over the bar just once?

9. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

A certain amount of muscle mass can definitely help keep you in both good physical & mental shape.

How much do you need & will Mo Farah & other distance runners etc live longer than bbers etc?.......I dunno, how long a person is likely to live comes down to many genetic & lifestyle factors.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

without the weight he most certainly can.

11. I'll Be Waiting

I'll Be Waiting Guest

bbers?

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

People who dont belieb in Justin Bieber, but dont discount the possibility of him existing

Yes, I am being smart

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It can backfire very badly when the exercise stops and the muscle tissue starts to break down into body fat.
    This can easily happen after an injury or illness.
    Strong muscles can damage aged arthritic joints and fracture brittle bones, as well as tearing ligaments.
    In this situation, the heart muscles have a huge additional burden and can easily give up very quickly.

Keeping a sensible muscle level as years advance is fine, but trying to compete with a 20 year old body builder after retirement is a dangerous game.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

for once, no, i was legitimately confused by your wording.

yes, i do think that having muscle mass will help you throughout your life. but, only if you maintain it. if you get really muscular now and then let it turn to fat later on, then there will be no long term benefit to having had the muscle now.

15. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

bbers= bodybuilders.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Glad i'm not the only one

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

Stand in the place where you live. Now face north think about direction, wonder why you haven't before..