Does Marijuana really have any effect?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Bernie, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Bernie

Bernie Member

Just postulating this question a minute ago, and haven’t been on here in about a year but thought I would share. I haven't smoked for about 10 months now, but occasionally I get distinct feelings of being stoned when I'm obviously not... the indicators are usually an incredibly relaxed, euphoric state, extreme happiness, increased awareness of senses, and mild visual hallucinations. Therefore, if I feel stoned, then I must be stoned... is this feeling due to THC still stored in the fatty tissue of my body? >No<

The concept that THC, or any drug, would store itself in the body for that long is simply absurd. This feeling is caused simply by intensive relaxation: laughing, sleeping in the sun, dancing on the beach, listening to music, meditation. If the effects of intensive relaxation are identical to the effects of marijuana, then one can safely assume that marijuana is not the cause of these effects, but is merely a relaxant, aiding the body in achieving this tranquil state.

Hallucinations associated with marijuana are conscious dreams. This state is a medium between the awake and the asleep, and is achieved by switching the brain off whilst maintaining absolute consciousness of one's breathing, pulse, and body. Essentially the motor of the brain is deactivated, and the peripheral senses (sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch) bypass the brain (which thinks it is asleep) and feeds information directly into the unconscious or subconscious. This is how a tree, for example can change its visual form - as there are two layers, and any information the senses relay can be distorted or blocked by the unconscious, and it is all an illusion of ones inner being.

The long term effects of marijuana? The reduced intellectual capacity? Simply the product of switching one's brain off for years at a time and living through your unconscious. Of course one is not going to be able to learn anything when they are never really thinking. Just as dreams are lost the morning after, anything one hears while stoned may, again, be lost in the unconscious. Fragments may be remembered, but the whole picture will be lost, or distorted.

So, therefore, is it really necessary to take your inability to chill out on your lungs? Just think about it...

[If you got to the bottom thanks SO MUCH for reading it really means a lot to me, and have a really really nice day, love me]

2. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

Very deep for one so young, grasshopper! What you're experiencing is what hippies call Fashbacks, and Scientologists call engrams, basically one records every nuance of ones life; lighting, smells, sounds, etc. when a few of these exact elements occure in the present time they key a memory. When enough of them are present they cause a flashback (reliving) a certain portion of ones life; ergo that time when........one was high at the beach, good times; or bad (often diagnosed as depression or anxiety) example: when she dumped you!

Oh dear, I got too deep now I got the bends, I gotta get in the decompression chamber for while, latr! :eek:

3. Sezzy

Sezzy Member

nice thoughts d00d, but the difference between the experience from marijuana and the experience one's own mind can create, similar to that of marijuana, is that you can't consciously switch off the high from marijuana. A big part of my experience is giving myself over to the influence of the chemical on my mind. This singular lack of control fully intesifies the mental effects

4. knottybaja

knottybaja Member

yea but you really can't switch off the emotional influence that effects our judgements and creates our experience. we all see through the lense of our own emotions, desires, and fears which distort our perception. that can't exactly be turned off either.

5. Sezzy

Sezzy Member

aye aye, all tru, those emotions are always there, and the stimuli which alters them is our everyday life. But weed intensifies all of these, and allows you to fully focus on single aspects of your perception. what i'm saying is you can't really compare weed with emotional influence because one doesn't take teh place of the other, they just effect each other. it's like weed highs and tobacco buzzes. if someone smokes tobacco regularly, and then smokes weed and smokes tobacco at some point, the effects aren't seperately felt, most effects are just intensified by the combination. we always have our regular emotions, and they are things taht are never ever turned off but simply brought to different intensities. a weed high can change the intensities of these, and what i was saying was taht weed makes it nearly impossible to have the control of these emotions taht we normally have

also.... i konw that this isn't really an argument, i'm really high and i went off on a tangent, and i'll come back when i'm sober, sorry, i'm sure i made some kind of point about somthing though =P

6. sourdiesel06

sourdiesel06 Member

Good argument, but your overestimating how bad weed is for your lungs. Numerous studies have shown that there is actually a negative correlation between smoking weed and developing lung cancer, which is the most common serious illness associated with smoking.

7. sniffmagikmarkrs

sniffmagikmarkrs Senior Member

that was really nice man. I've experienced these "flashbacks" and i think taht the reason people smoke is because it a for sure thing that you are gonna be happy and euphoric and what not. You can't control when you can feel these feelings unless you smoke a bowl or what not, and that is why so many people smoke.

8. mellow

mellow Eased

I get those types of feelings quite often. You made some good points.

I'm much too tired to respond with anything meaningful, for that I apologize.

9. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

i thought the OP has a sense of validility but there is something that cant be escaped, that cannabis is a drug, it has a huge effect on your brain, more of an effect than most people are consciously aware of.

the reason you can feel slightlyhhigh when not stoned is because when youre stoned, its not like heyre implanting neurons into your brain - you can feel an element of practicalylevery drug in normal life after youve taken it, in my oppinion. but no one ever is -actually- stoned in your position. its just likeable largely to being stoned.

10. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

;) Stoner one of us is HI that speach read alot like our President Bush!:p

11. BannedInDC

BannedInDC Member

I <3 flashbacks