does it all come down to self-esteem?

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by jennifericous, Jan 13, 2005.

1. jennifericous

jennifericous Member

it seems to me that almost every social problem we have in the modern world is reducible to low self-esteem.
    pre-teen sex and teenage pregnancy its been shown to be significantly higher in people with low self-worth.
    rapists and paedophiles also show low levels of self confidence.
    there are plenty more examples
    what do you think? if this is so important, should parents be screened on their ability to create their childrens self confidence or at least trained in the best way to do so?
    what does anybody think about the idea of compulsory parenting classes? since it seems that alot of problems start in the home and early childhood experiences have great bearing on later life? just an idea i had?

2. BrokenHunny

BrokenHunny Member

I think thats true when I was 15-16 the only way I would feel good about myself is in the arms of a man. I would do anything to have their approval. Boy was I stupid

3. blueskyboris

blueskyboris Member

Yup. I like to call it the 'vampire hierarchy'. Confidence is sucked from the defenseless or lowered to nourish those who are good at insulting but not naturally self-confident.

4. sugar_mag321

sugar_mag321 Member

i think you are definitely hitting a major point brokenhunny. i've always thought self-steem and lack thereof was the cause of a lot of self destructive behavior. i've always struggled with self-esteem issues (i'm not sure why), i guess i relate it to not being good enough for anyone, friends, parents, boys, etc. i've always put a lot of pressure on myself growing up until about the 9th grade when i quit everything. i went on a self destructive path until my parents pulled me out of it and i realized what i was doing. soon after, i was suffering from depression and panic disorder and then began drinking a lot and not caring about what i did with guys. luckily, i was able to pick myself up and get better before it was too late. i've been blessed that i've had my eyes opened just in time to get me back on track. i still struggle with self-esteem issues but ive learned so much thatll help keep me balanced.

5. BrokenHunny

BrokenHunny Member

good thing u got out of the path :)

6. blueskyboris

blueskyboris Member

every person has an 'ego'. agreed? agreed. when that ego is damaged it becomes damaged (lowered self-esteem). daily interactions between egos (people) create a community of yo-yos. most people's egos go up-and-down, up-and-down depending on who they are interacting with. somedays the 'ego yo-ing' does not occur. the string is completely extended or has tangled. other days the yo-yo is in someone's pocket, warm and sheltered (euphoric days). most days it is up and down, up and down. this is why 'selfish' action, in the adult world, is both moral (when it nourishes the desires without expending the Other) and immoral (when it expends the Other without the Other opening his/her ego).