Does God Exist?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Naiwen, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Is that the DNA on digital hard drive theory? Lol.

I'd thought they'd already built a replica ark with the proper dimensions.

The journey of Gilgamesh tells a very similar story except very different at the same time and Gilgamesh from memory, built a submarine vessel, not an ark. And on that vessel were chips and diamonds that held the data and DNA for life.

Not bad imagination from the people of Sumer, 12,000 years ago.

Keep reading the epic of Gilgamesh and you'll read about robots and military machines with laser guided missiles, movement sensors and complete artificial intelligence at its finest.

And that's an epic that I can't just sit back and wonder "good story". I believe there's gotta be much more to it than the imagination of one story teller who couldn't even fathom the technology he was speaking about. ;)

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i believe there is something that believes itself to be a god.
    i believe it has better intentions then anyone who uses its existence as an excuse to do harm.

i do not believe however, that any book or belief, fairly represents its will, nature, or intentions.

nor that it takes human form in this physical waking universe.

like anyone else, the more i say about it, the less likely the details of my conjectures are to posses accuracy.

still i feel i have a reasonable certainty about some small number of them.

demonic/angelic/satanic hierarchies, are a morbid figment of the human imagination.

this thing that calls itself god, is the little old bald headed guy behind the curtain, except 'he' is neither human, nor physical, nor male.

it may be powerful without making a big thing about it. its actually quite humble and harmlessly friendly.

pretty much the opposite of religious extremists of any belief.

3. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

In the Vedas, God is described as follows...

Prajnanam Brahman -- God is pure consciousness.

It is my understanding that pure consciousness is that which exists at the most fundamental level, and energy and matter are its manifestations.

Karl Marx have stated that the material world is the fundamental reality, but you can see that everything that has a name and form has a beginning and ending. So intelligence is not just confined to human beings, but also to nature as well, present in its most fundamental level as pure consciousness and which manifests in the orderly harmony and coherence that we find in nature.

Sat-Chit-Ananda , that is, Truth-Being-Bliss , that is the nature of the pure consciousness that pervades everything though not tangible to the human eye.

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To create requires creator/s. I'm reminded of physical creation every time I stub my toe. But that's all I know about the question.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Ordinarily, "proof" means capable of convincing all or most reasonable people. That's why I say there is no "proof" of God, but there is substantial evidence--defined as enough evidence to convince a reasonable person, even though other reasonable persons might be convinced otherwise. I don't think it's possible to prove which of the two candidates in the 2016 U.S. elections would be the better President, but I think it's possible to make a strong, persuasive argument in favor of one over the other.

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

yes but he is missing from heaven, me a preacher, a hitwoman, and a vampire are going to roam the country looking for him.

7. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

How do you know this?

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I thought everyone did.

9. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBsA2ETp7JA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

nobody "knows" any of it. i just met this little guy once, perhaps more then once. what i DO know, is there is no GOOD thing, that wishes to be feared.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i believe there are things that could pass for one. i don't believe they expect or demand anyone to pretend to know what no one knows, or has any way of knowing,
    nor that we go around demanding each other to do so.

i also don't believe they have anything, for good or bad, to do, with any religious belief, or the book or books of any.

i do not believe they are masters of what comes after death. i do not believe that whatever comes after death requires masters.

i do not believe the infinite diversity of life forms were individually and intentionally hand crafted by them.

i do not know what is not known. i only know no one knows more of it either.

i do know, that the more you narrow down one possibility out of an infinite range of possibility, that you are looking at a narrower, and therefor less probable, range of those possibilities.

12. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

13. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

As far as modern science can determine and I can tell from my own experience, if God exists he apparently wishes to remain anonymous. Which, is something I can respect considering his countless fans are often quite insane.

14. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

Insanity implies such a thing as "knowing" what sanity is. How does one determine the acceptable test for such a statement? Standards? Well what standards? Logic? Well that's good and fine falls under the same heading with the same problem. Rationality? Anyone who has met other people knows that "rational" is rather a subjective concept. Exceptionally case by case. Sanity is determined by the desire for normalcy. Nothing more nothing less. We love to spice it up from time to time. Add a few peppers of excuses here and there but yet...

It's just a label by consensus. If you really think about it labels by consensus don't have a very good track record throughout "history". Religious persecution, cultural persecution, multicultural persecution, gang violence, genetic persecution. By all the gods or no gods the list goes on and on and on. I promise you we're all just as "normal" as the next guy.

15. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

I was using the term as poetic licence.

16. Perfect Disorder

There is no lacking of ways to use any term. We're just often ignorant of the point behind our terminologies

17. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Insanity is only a technical term in legal courts and not recognized by the psychological community, while words are my specialty.

18. Perfect Disorder

Technicality is a useful vehicle for complexity all I state is that it is not for simplicity. Personally I have no speciality

19. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Since the term is only used in legal courts for technical purposes, it is used here for simplicity. However, the most interesting things grow out of manure...

20. Perfect Disorder

While I can see your desire for simplicity in reference to the conceptualization of deity and I surly understand the harmony of manure I do not feel spreading it around with purpose to be simple.