does god exist?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by smackjack, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Hardrockerdave94

Hardrockerdave94 Member

I don't think there's a simple yes or no answer, for me, I definitely believe in an afterlife of some sort, but I'm not sure if there's a God,

2. enk

enk Member

oh sorry =)

don't let me stop you if you want to though.
    I need an idea to be 'sound', right from the mathematical through to the emotional.

3. Dark||Nomad

Dark||Nomad Member

I know he doesn't exist. Read the bible and you will know he doesn't exist. Go to church and you will know he doesn't exist. He is nothing, he exists in the minds of human beings as a projection of themselves.

This is of course my opinion. Just like your post is your opinion. I just wanted to point out that your logic and frame of thought could be used in the exact opposite way.

4. staceball

staceball Member

There really should a 'dont know' for us agnostics lol. I cant say yes or no to the possibility of some higher power outside this universe but if you mean the beardy guy sitting on a cloud making the world in 7 days kinda god then definitely no.

5. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

I think so. The Christian God is the one I'd bet on :D To each their own!

6. LinaJo76

LinaJo76 Member

I believe He does exist, yes.

7. Titan_1600

Titan_1600 Member

Yes, I believe God exists, & I always have, but I don't think religion is as black & white as a lot of people try to make it. I do believe in God, but I think a lot of what's in the Bible is just people's own opinions of God. The one thing that irritates me is people paint a picture of God as being a very understanding being, but are quick to say he interprets everything as a sin.

I believe quite a few things that are thought of by religious people to be a sin really isn't, & that God gives us the free will to live our lives as we choose as long as it doesn't negatively effect other's.

8. dmob12

dmob12 Member

I'm going to have to vote no on this one.

9. Titan_1600

Titan_1600 Member

I'm curious....why don't you believe in God?

10. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

Proving or disproving a god's existence, is impossible.

11. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No evidence of his/her/its existence !!!

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

13. curiousbear

curiousbear Senior Member

It really depends the scope of the term 'exist'

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

goddess.jpg

GOD IS A LESBIAN
    Question : "Dear Thay, I feel very well and safe here in Plum Village, but there were times in my life when I experienced discrimination, so there is one question which really interests me. What does Buddhism say about homosexuality?"

Reply: "Discrimination is something that many of us know, and there were times when we wanted to cry out for justice. You might be tempted by violent means in order for injustice to be removed. There are very many of us who are seeking non-violent means in order to remove injustice and discrimination imposed on us. Sometimes those discriminating against us act in the name of God, of the truth. We may belong to the third world, or we may belong to a particular race, we may be people of color, we may be gay or lesbian, and we have been discriminated against for thousands of years. So how to work on it, how to liberate ourselves from the suffering of being a victim of discrimination and oppression? In Christianity it is said that God created everything, including man, and there is a distinction made between the creator and the creature. The creature is something created by God. When I look at a rose, a tulip, or a chrysanthemum, I know, I see, I think, that this flower is a creation of God. Because I have been practicing as a Buddhist, I know that between the creator and the created there must be some kind of link, otherwise creation would not be possible. So the chrysanthemum can say that God is a flower, and I agree, because there must be the element "flower" in God so that the flower could become a reality. So the flower has the right to say that God is a flower.

"The white person has the right to say that God is white, and the black person also has the right to say that God is black. In fact, if you go to Africa, you’ll see that the Virgin Mary is black. If you don’t make the statue of the Virgin Mary black, it does not inspire people. Because to us the black people, "black is beautiful," so a black person has the right to say that God is black, and in fact I also believe that God is black, but God is not only black, God is also white, God is also a flower. So when a lesbian thinks of her relationship with God, if she practices deeply, she can find out that God is also a lesbian. Otherwise how could you be there? God is a lesbian, that is what I think, and God is gay also. God is no less. God is a lesbian, but also a gay, a black a white, a chrysanthemum. It is because you don’t understand that, that you discriminate.

"When you discriminate against the black or the white, or the flower, or the lesbian, you discriminate against God, which is the basic goodness in you. You create suffering all around you, and you create suffering within yourself, and it is delusion, ignorance, that is the basis of your action, your attitude of discrimination. If the people who are victims of discrimination practice looking deeply, they will say that I share the same wonderful relationship with God, I have no complex. Those who discriminate against me, do so because of their ignorance. "God, please forgive them, because they do not know what they are doing." If you reach that kind of insight, you will no longer get angry at that person who discriminates against you, and you might have compassion toward him or her. You will say: "He does not know what he is doing. He is creating a lot of suffering around him and within him. I will try to help him." So your heart opens like a flower and suffering is no longer there, you have no complex at all, and you turn to be a bodhisattva in helping the people who have been discriminating against you. That is the way I see it, out of my practice of looking deeply, so one day I made the statement that God is a lesbian, and this is my insight."
    Excerpt from Dharma Talk given by Thich Nhat Hanh on July 20, 1998 in Plum Village, France.

themnax likes this.
  15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How am I supposed to know?

curiousbear likes this.
  16. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We are not!

curiousbear likes this.
  17. curiousbear

curiousbear Senior Member

Mine is a long interesting trip on this topic

18. DonJ

DonJ Senior Member

Possibly....but I am not sure it is in a form that we can understand.

curiousbear likes this.
  19. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I believe in good.

I will share this with you.

Abou Ben Adhem
    BY LEIGH HUNT
    Abou Ben Adhem (may his tribe increase!)
    Awoke one night from a deep dream of peace,
    And saw, within the moonlight in his room,
    Making it rich and like a lily in bloom,
    An angel writing in a book of gold:—
    Exceeding peace had made Ben Adhem bold,
    And to the presence in the room, he said,
    "What writest thou?"—The vision raised its head,
    And with a look made of all sweet accord,
    Answered, "The names of those who love the Lord."
    "And is mine one?" said Abou. "Nay, not so,"
    Replied the angel. Abou spoke more low,
    But cheerly still; and said, "I pray thee, then,
    Write me as one that loves his fellow men."

The angel wrote and vanished. The next night
    It came again with a great wakening light,
    And showed the names whom love of God had blest,
    And lo! Ben Adhem's name led all the rest.

themnax likes this.
  20. roadhogg

roadhogg Senior Member