Does anyone remember the griffith park love-ins

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by pieman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Hillside Park in Fullerton?

2. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I dont know Hillside, but I do remember Hillcrest, it was hilly and curvy, we use to drive around there once in a while, drinking and tokin'.

3. Putty

Putty Member

shameless heifer...you nailed it how it was in L.A. back then. getting stopped and frisked for no reason. even so to this day those days stand out as the most fun, free, full of life days ever!!! hmmm...I wonder how much that has to do with my close friends Orange Barrel, Blue Cheer, Blotter, and Window Pane!

wish I knew where they were now! :)

4. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

Hillside pk is in Canada
    its is where Leary'S #2 man lived
    imagine a mini love in in a smaller pk

5. RuffStuff

RuffStuff Guest

I woke up one Easter Sunday an found someone threw a party in my backyard in Elysian Park. At the time I lived next to Elysian Park, which was my playground as I grew up. Walking to Griffith Park was easy since I had done that since I was a kid too. Dancing for me had become a way to make a deeper connection with the divine. I had learned to dance watching a dancer one night at The Omnibus. She flowed to an energy I could see and it helped me to break my fear of awkwardness. Many of the names of the bands that played escape me now. Was that really the Dead that played? Wow, I must have really blended in with the music. It's amazing how common smoking was. Maybe it was a way to ground from getting too high, a way to smudge without knowing what smudging was. I remember the magic too. It took on a life of it's own. Bands were giving the music away at first and then later bowed out stating they wanted to concentrate on making albums. There was a constant turnover. I remember listening to Canned Heat at Griffith Park who came after some of the earlier groups weren't playing many free concerts anymore. Canned Heat became a success and so The Flying Burrito Bros or Redbone played another week. It didn't stop me from listening to whatever was being dished out and I remain grateful for everyone who took the time to share their time, energy and music. The Love-ins became a showcase and the original spirit began to wane from a celebration of life as the commercial venture set in. How else could The Tower Records Building on the strip get built? Reality has a way of making hard comedowns.

Some photos.
    http://www.pbase.com/saintj/image/31750131

Wow, I see an old girlfriend. It's all right, I loved them all.

RuffStuff

6. Bob hager

Bob hager Visitor

I went to a lot of loveins at Griffith park because I lived in Toluca lake in the late 60's and never had any problems with the police. You all might be confusing the lovein at elysian park in the late 60's. I was there when there was a riot and the police formed a line and literally pushed everybody out of the canyon. If I remember correctly the police academy was located there.

7. CaliKaty

CaliKaty Members

I do! I played at one, as well as one of the Venice Beach concerts. :sunny:

8. Violet141

Violet141 Members

i was there w/green power feeeding the freex so that is my recollection....do you recall a fellow dressed as julius caeser mounts the stage which was a flatbed truck to dance during the moodys set?anyway, elysian park was adjacent to the pig school.

9. BiGuySW

BiGuySW Members

I remember the Love-ins at Griffith Park. My cousin was a L.A. cop who told me he liked to get assigned to that patrol, because a lot of the hippie women did not wear bras. I ran into him at the Merry-Go-Round one time, and he could hardly contain his distraction with the women at that scene. Here he was, all dressed up in his blues, with his partner keeping an eye on him, and he was just transfixed with this scene of flowing hippies.

Those love-ins were part of a cultural revolution that swept up so many people.

10. aron pieman kay

aron pieman kay Newbie

11. aron pieman kay

aron pieman kay Newbie

I was one of the focalizers with green power back then..,I recall Caesar
    I was working with green power helping do the love ins...I remember cops who loved to stare at bouncing boobs

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Itchyku Park, that's where I'll be

13. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Those were the days, my friend. Guess just about there everyone is in their 70s now. Time files whether you're having fun or not.