Does anyone remember the griffith park love-ins

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by pieman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Orange Sunshine Vet

Orange Sunshine Vet Member

I spoke with him a few times. He has neck cancer. This is his reply, it's the end of one of his emails to me. ~~VV~~>

>How's your health by the way. There's talk you where sick. Well Thank you >so much and I do wish you well.

I have survived a neck cancer for 18 mo so far. The cure was not fun, but there was no alternative on offer- it worked.

--

Cheers,

Bear

http://www.thebear.org

2. HeadCraft

HeadCraft Member

aaahahahahahahaha, ya caught me! just tryin' to find out if these "ole hippies" posting here are real or vaporware...

i'm convinced yur forrrrreeeeeaaallll!!!!!!!

now, if yur interested...i have a couple sheets of antique windowpane in my freezer...mebee i could offload 'em on e'bay...hmmmmm

3. HeadCraft

HeadCraft Member

yup, pie (NOT YUPPIE) as you now know from our PMs tonight, we were arrested in the same demonstration @ repub '72. as a matter of fact, i found this Hipforum as a result of searching for info/pics of THAT convention.

http://www.vvaw.org/gallery/1970s.php

& after seeing your picture circa '72, i remember you under the banyan tree, we lit up together. BUT, remember the guy named Dana who gave the speech after lunch that day...he got us all riled-up with his speech & ended with, "Let's go show those MF'ers" & that was when the march started down Collins Blvd (I think it was Collins) past the burlesque clubs where the glass poster cases were trashed in protest of female sexploitation...etc. Well, wasn't "Dana" actually a fed agent who had infiltrated the yips/zips? He had long blonde hair, big 'stache & stubble beard.

4. HeadCraft

HeadCraft Member

http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/thosewere.htm
    Music & Lyrics: Gene Raskin; performed by Mary Hopkins)

Once upon a time there was a tavern
    Where we used to raise a glass or two
    Remember how we laughed away the hours
    And dreamed of all the great things we would do

Those were the days my friend
    We thought they'd never end
    We'd sing and dance forever and a day
    We'd live the life we choose
    We'd fight and never lose
    For we were young and sure to have our way.
    La la la la...
    Those were the days, oh yes those were the days

Then the busy years went rushing by us
    We lost our starry notions on the way
    If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
    We'd smile at one another and we'd say

La la la la...

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
    Nothing seemed the way it used to be
    In the glass I saw a strange reflection
    Was that lonely woman really me

La la la la...

Through the door there came familiar laughter
    I saw your face and heard you call my name
    Oh my friend we're older but no wiser
    For in our hearts the dreams are still the same

La la la la...
    Those were the days, oh yes, those were the days

5. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

ahhh, cancer it was.. I thought Ranger said hep-c.. well as I read back it was cancer sorry for the misinformation..but hep-c turns into cancer and so my mind went there.. thank you for clearing that up..
    Brightest Blessings.

6. pieman

pieman Member

dana is not a cop....i still work with dana on the million marijuana march here in nyc..in fact his site is http://www.cures-not-wars.org
    others thought tome forcade of the zippies was a cop!!!! he ended up being the founder of high times magazine...he committed suicide in 1978

7. Skwentna

Skwentna Member

I was just telling my husband about how the FIRST Love-in in Griffith Park made such an impact on my life and decided to see if anything re:GP Love-ins was on line and found this.
    I remember that the first love-in made the evening news in L.A. and I looked at my mother and said "Wow, those are my people!!!". I was only about 14 but I knew from that moment the world would change and that there were also other people that thought differently from the "norm" (When you see what's "normal" do you REALLY want to be "normal".)
    I was very lucky (only because of the Hippie Era) to live in L.A. in the 60's and the Bay Area in the early 70's. I did my share of partying and getting High but the best thing about this era is that people, especially young people, really stood up and helped enlighten people to the absurdities of the society - war, greed, hate. discrimination.......... One of the things that makes me the saddest in this world is that at that time I really believed that most people were seeing these wrongs and working to change them. Now I see that a large percentage of the people who professed to want change in the world were just going with the flow and didn't really care or have a clue as to the problems of the world (ie:Bush was "elected" twice - what does tell you about enlightenment).
    Anyway the Love-ins in Griffith Park had a large impact on the rest of my life!

8. Putty

Putty Member

ah yes...the idealism of our youth in the 60's

enlightenment, liberation, and rejuvenation are closest found between our ears...true then and now...

it's just that back then we were naive enough to think that because we thought we had found the "way" that the rest of the world will most naturally follow...wrong then and wrong now

each human is on an individual journey as well as being part of our group quest as a species....yes, even George Bush travels the same path

dont forget Skwentna that much of our realizations occured with the help of getting high...weed, LSD, mushrooms...God's little helpers that opened our Doors of Perception...they helpes uds see ourselves and our world in a new light

many today are still using these plant helpers and seeing the same things we did...hopefully some of todays research will prove to our lawmakers that although back in the 60's we may have gotten a little too high at times that these plants and compounds can be a key to the liberation of mankind...

9. salmon4me

salmon4me Senior Member

Your colored text is WAY more annoying than the possibility that her stories might be 'over-told'.

10. frog648

frog648 Member

I just stumbled into this thread while trying to find the video of the first love in Griffith Park 1967. Clearlight had it posted on their old site but it is now gone still looking.

Had to flashback after reading a bit , Frog has been my nickname since 1957 I Am good friends of the Strawberry Alarm Clock went to school with some and knew a couple since 1962 .

I was born in Glendale and been in the area all my life so before going to all the love ins in Griffith Park and others like Brand or Verdugo park in glendale I was renting horses and riding around Griffith Park since I was about six.

All through JR and Sr high school (Hoover) I surfed and hit all the beaches. later all my friends and I got into the music and spent all our time in hollywood on the strip ect hit all the clubs Hullaballoo was a favorite.

Anyone remember Vito ? if you went by his place the door was open and you walked in otherwise big letters "VITO"

Anyway still in touch with SAC still play some but it's country (go figure) listen to all music --thanks for the flashback. still miss the purple owsley and that clear liquid acid in a vile.
    later
    Frog

11. frog648

frog648 Member

12. kachina

kachina Member

hey frog648! You still around?

13. Putty

Putty Member

Hey Pieman...you are the only person that I've ever heard that was at the Blue Cheer gig that day. As you describe, the cops attacked and I was just turning around to look (instead of running like everyone else) and bam!...nice shiny club across the mouth. Ambulances were there but none would help me out so I hitched to the hospital with all of my front teeth top and bottom blown out.

The Free Press did a story on me then but the cops had all the balls in their court in those days. even the ACLU wouldn't challenge what they did to my face. I was 15 years old and man what a wake up call about the dangers of our police in those days.

14. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

Wow, G.P. ... Never knew about the loveins but went there to enjoy the breeze in the 1980s just following the frequency I guess ... this thread is amazing.
    As a younger person let me ask if these "Love-Ins" included
    "love-making" ?
    Shameless Hefer or Pieman or like person respond ? The reason 1am asking is because 1m wondering why police would act as they did ?

PS: This link not working --->
    http://usera.imagecave.com/rws/sac/GriffithPark.jpg

I got this link that duz work --->
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3AizSHE1U

And today nearly every cell phone has a vid-cam and cops must sometimes have to obey
    the law.

15. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Howdy-wasn't at Griffith Park, but from my place on the planet in the 60's, the local police were just damn scared-the straight world was scared. The establishment had come out of a stable 50's, everything in its place. then the freaks arrived!!

16. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

:bobby: "Lead by Example"

Now when police lose mental health in a public display, and break the law in a paranoid/psychotic manner ... where does that put society ?

I see youre from Canada, perhaps you know the David Millgaard Story.
    Nevertheless I was kinda shocked to read this woman's account of police coming in and assaulting people. :( ... I really enjoyed the pictures of people just coming together in unity in the park like that. I would liked to have been there [except for being assaulted by police]

This vid looked like a scene from the film Hiar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj3AizSHE1U

17. loveincarnate

loveincarnate Member

Small wonder the freaks were freaked.
    The predacesors were attempting to hand down a world over-populated, polluted, war raverged, and threatened with extermination.

I wasn't at Griffith Park either or be-ins, love-ins had less intention, and more fad-following in the 70s. Nevertheless the model was copied at Hillside Park where I attended [about 100 people at peak].
    Police never interfered this saw a nieghborhood with important ppl, to bust their kids would be scandal.

We were left alone by police.
    Perhaps lessons had been learned. Perhaps thetre being lost again ?

18. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Had my brush ins with the police-always drugs. Couldn't under stand it at the time. On reflection, and a few months sober, I can at least see another point of view.

But man, it was a fun time-Sex drugs and Rock n Roll

19. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Did n't we hear a story about David Milgaard a few months back, picked up for a domestic altercation.

Cops have a fucked up job. Their clients are usually of the criminal kind. I could never understand the stance against weed and vegging out

20. shameless_heifer

shameless_heifer Super Moderator

I think Love-Ins were smaller and more localized around the Dawning of The Hippie in the earily 60s. Griffith Park had several Love-Ins. I managed to attend a few.

The LEOS or PIGS as we called them were pretty damned phycotic if you ask me. Here ppl were having fun, harming None, celebrating Life, Loving each other and sharing what they had. Human Beins being Human, being joyful and being one with the Universe.

I was there when the pigs came and started bulling ppl around with their guns and mace. Their black shields and black helmets. I was scared, everyone was scared,. They were scary.

When you spied them coming over the hill like a black wave of destruction with their batons striking out at the crowd of peacefull Human Beings it would send shivers through your entire body like an alarm going off.

They looked like I would imagine the natzis looked like to the Jews during the Holicost. We ran, we all ran. We scattered like a Roman Candle exploding, sparks and fragments of us running in all direction trying to dodge the batons.

The small Love-Ins werent so brutal. They were mostly local kids there that were neighbors and they knew the kids even their own kids were involved. The PD didnt want to start too much shit with the locals.

They did however pick out a few and would harrass them when they would see them on the street. I was continualy harrassed, that's why I went to San Francisco when I was 16. It was somewhere I could blend in and not be singled out and pursicuted for my lifestyle.

Seems like things have gone retrograde and the brutality is on the rise. The perfect example is The Occupy Movement. When I see the LEOs dressed in black, their faces hidden behind Masks with their guns and shields. The cold shiver runs yet again through my Being.

I have felt the sting of their rath. I have been beaten and threatened, I have been jailed for no reason other then I was walking down the street minding my own buisness and brutily assulted and injured and incarserated unlawfully.

Fasten your safety belts cuz the ride aint over yet and it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.