Does anyone really think the earth is flat?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Eavesdrop, May 15, 2018.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Extreme right-wing anti-government groups and conspiracy theorists have always espoused their belief in a flat earth.

Just after Donald Trump was elected it’s resurfaced once again especially among his supporters.

They really believe the earth is flat, 911 was an inside job, Sandyhook was a false flag operation, Ted Cruz’s father killed JFK, Antonin Scalia death was suspicious, Obama’s Birth certificate was a forgery “Birthers”, Climate Change is a hoax, The CIA wiretapped Trumps phones, and Hillary Clinton’s 3,000,000 vote margin in the popular vote were fraudulently miscast - How do you argue with insanity.

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

What I don't get about these conspiracy theories, is why. You want to believe the earth is flat, okay. But the crazy part is believing that NASA and the White House and all of these scientists are conspiring to convince us the world is a sphere. Why would they do that? Who benefits from going, "The earth is flat but I don't want anyone to know that. Let's spend billions making it look like a sphere"?

It's like the dude who started that Dinosaur thread, positive all fossils in museums are fake.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

except so many of them don't. lol lol lol.

if we lived in that kind of a universe, it wouldn't need rubber stamps, why would they be there at all, nor any edge anywhere to fall off of either.
    it would just continue for ever. and you could build railroads that would do the same.

i'd really really love to be able to travel on the surface, (an irregular surface, mostly forested, with some really big lakes instead of oceans)
    without having to escape a gravity well to do so, forever and every in some same general direction, and not end up repeatedly back where started.

its a wonderful fantasy, but a real universe, filled with billions of 'earths', even if most of which we might never be able to reach, almost makes up for it.

4. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

The objective could be to paint every single conspiracy theory out there to something as absurd as flat earth or a dinosaur hoax. It would turn anyone questioning the given narrative into a clown. I'll gladly where my tin hat and red nose to hold on to my free thought.

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

As an aside the Earth isn't a sphere, it's an oblate spheroid.
    [​IMG]

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I literally have no idea what you're talking about.

McFuddy likes this.
  7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I have noticed conspiracy theories getting a lot dumber the past few years. I agree the point is to discredit them all. Like how can you say JFK was an inside job? You sound like the people who say the Earth is flat.

Disinformation agents are everywhere. Alex Jones for example, but the right wing types eat it up. Keep your mind open but not so wide your brain falls out.

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

now that's actually interesting. i'm not exactly a science nut or anything, but i generally can keep up with the important stuff. assuming this is true (which i have no reason to doubt, it actually makes more sense than a perfect sphere) i have to wonder why literally nobody will admit to it. i've never heard of this in my life.

are the other planets the same?

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yeah but Earth is not actually that oblate. That picture is an exaggeration to illustrate a scientific fact. There's no way equatorial bulge is as pronounced as that.

MeAgain likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

i find it way more disturbing that people believe exactly what the government and science tell us when they're known to outright lie to us, for centuries and more.
    I don't think the world is flat, but the only proof i have, is what they tell me. Until I'm out flying solo in the universe, i won't really know. I'm just expected to believe what I'm told.

11. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The earth IS flat....

.... like a coin.....

... and we are in the center of the universe. The sun and moon don't orbit; they stay perfectly still.

But you see...
    the flat coin-like surface of the earth with all the water and land, spins like a conveyor belt. This is what creates day and night cycles. As the conveyor belt of this coin we live on rotates, sometimes we are on the sunny sign of the coin, sometimes we're on the dark side. We are held onto this coin by gravity.. how else?

You might be thinking to yourself: Hasn't the world been photographed from space? Shouldn't those photos tell us that the world is round?

Well, when you look at a photo of the earth from space. We only see it from one side at a time: the flat side.

So there you have it folks. The earth is flat

mic drop

12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^^^... :D

Cheers Glen.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I don't know anyone that thinks so. And I believe any online sites that claims it is are in jest.

14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I don't think they're joking. I've watched a lot of flatard videos and the passion and the anger is too real. These people are mentally ill. The human race in general is fucked in the head. The opposition to reality and rational thought is common place in some form or another.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    Ged likes this.
  15. lode

lode Banned

I don't think anyone who studies this wouldn't admit to it. On earth it's only 47km or so.

Equatorial bulge - Wikipedia

It much larger on the middle gas giants. The reason is that the centrifugal force of spinning wants to flatten the planets out, while their gravity combats this. It may also be that it's easier to oblique a gas giant based on the composition, but I don't have the hard numbers to back that up.

This three part Netflix documentary was surprisingly interesting on the topic of orbit, spin, and tilt of the planet.

Orbit: Earth's Extraordinary Journey | Netflix

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that's cool. i didn't really mean they were actively trying to hide it or anything, it just seems weird that i've literally never heard of it before. seems relevant enough to at least mention in science class or wherever the earth's shape may come up.

17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

At school, I used to draw countries upside down in the Geography class, telling everyone that it made no difference and that it was a man made perception that north was 'up' The geography teacher called me an idiot, but the science teachers loved me.

themnax likes this.
  18. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Northern oriented maps are a recent convention.
    Ancient Egyptians place the West on top, Islam put South on top, and early Christians placed the East at the top.
    It wasn't until 1568 that Mercator put the North at the top...and it stuck.

Ged and wilsjane like this.
  19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

At least the history teacher would have been on my side. :yum::yum::yum:

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

picky picky. its the shape a raindrop would have in the absence of gravity, if it were frozen at one point in time. actually not frozen, just slowed way way down.