Does Anyone Play Multiple Instruments?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Motion, Dec 8, 2016.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I wouldn't recommend this finger positioning but I suppose it depends on what style of music you are playing. I like having the pinky available for hammer-ons/pull-offs, easily adding 7th's, and stylistic nuance.

soulcompromise likes this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think what I was meaning is that it's easy to conceive of all the bar chords on up the neck as the same exact thing. Your point is an excellent one. I hadn't thought of that when I made the post.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yah that's true, when starting out, some people don't really grasp that their pointer finger is essentially acting like a moveable nut when they make a barre chord.

4. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Personally, I'd rather be good at one instrument than half assed at more than one. I'm a dyed in the wool bassist. Here's a picture of my rig:

My rig

I'm pretty sure that local colleges won't teach FL since you won't find that in any professional studio. Ableton is the go to for that.

C/S,
    Rev J

5. Reverand JC

I played a little piano in college as a music major and took conga lessons. One of my goals is to work my way through a Berklee College of Music Jazz Composition book and learn how to run the sequencers in Ableton.

I don't consider myself a bassist. I consider myself a musician who plays bass.

C/S,
    Rev J

6. soulcompromise

yeah? I didn't know that... He probably has his heart set on that particular software suite without knowing much about the others. I hope the kid gets some kind of lessons because he was totally into me playing something really mundane on the piano. lol

7. Reverand JC

Yeah, FL is kinda entry/consumer level. Kinda like Garageband. You can do some passible stuff on it but the features are limited. Even entry level Ableton is deeper and has better features.

Guitar Center and Musicians Friend have a great racket happening. GC is the biggest brick and mortar music retail chain and Musicians Friend the biggest online. The thing is they are owned by Bain Capital (Mitt Romney's company). Usually conservatives are the ones who root for cutting art and music education in schools. So you figure take away free music education and access to musical instruments and drive the kids who are interested in it to the store that you own to pay for it.

C/S,
    Rev J

8. Reverand JC

Watch some videos of Ableton users trying FL Studio Pro. They are kinda funny.

C/S,
    Rev J

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm looking to get a banjo.

It'll be the 3rd instrument I won't be able to play.

:tearsofjoy:

Mallyboppa and GLENGLEN like this.
  10. ErikXRclimateactivist

ErikXRclimateactivist Members

I began at a very early age, I'm certain music/art has been a huge role in all of my lives, so it was just natural for me to do so, I can play many from all over the world, and have travelled (by train) to many different places in Europe and Africa to play different folk instruments. It's passion, dedication and nature I guess.

11. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

I have a bunch, I learned it's much better to focus only on one now if you ever want to do serious playing.

heck, even just focusing on one guitar model atm.

12. candys

candys Visitor

I play the guitar only, it's my main passion. I want to become a pro and start making my own music. I've found reviews about small tube amps and want to buy them in the near future and start making rock music.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

So... Less than 100 watts?

Eww...

14. soulcompromise

Are you kiddin'? Them loud! :)

15. Tyrsonswood

I have more than one... Ummmm... More than five.

16. I can play lots of instruments. And I'm not horrible at them, either.

17. Tyrsonswood

Ummmm... 10(ish)

Okay.... I've got a shytload of amps, all high powered. Some tube, some solid state. A bunch of 4X12 speaker cabinets. (more than five)

Not to mention my bass amps and speakers... which are even higher powered. But we aren't supposed to be mentioning them.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  18. soulcompromise

ok, got it. I don't have one. But I always think about getting something small and playing with headphones on so as not to disturb everyone within a reasonable distance. :D

19. Tyrsonswood

Yeah... Like 100 yards or more.

20. Larry1958

Larry1958 Members

I play tenor, bari and alto sax. Also valve trombone. I run several bands and sit in with several others, so maybe 4-5 shows a month. Jazz, swing, funk, blues, etc.