Does anyone else see the rave movement resembling the hippie movement?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by charliec, Jun 4, 2004.

1. spacecadet

spacecadet Guest

When I was in the rave scene it was exclusively acid. The rave scene collapsed when the music started to get dark and intense, which eventually ended up as Drum and Bass. Dark and intense never went well with acid though and that was that. :rolleyes:

2. Autentique

Autentique wonderfabulastic

I think the raver scene can be like the hippie scene in some aspects. Mainly the open mindness, and tolerance. And really the peaceful enviroment that you are in when you are in a rave, I´ve been too many, and there has never been any kind of violence or anything. So everybody is respectful of others, accepting each others differences, welcoming everybody. It has lots of the hippie ideals... the things is that ravers only get together to rave.. you know to have fun, and party. And hippies did a lot more than that.

But many ravers do care about many causes and support them, and you know play a part. I think the difference is that hippies wanted to change the world and ravers just want to live in their own world.

3. sprout

sprout DeadHead

I never went to alot of parties but I have many friends who came up with the peak of the rave thing and from what I've seen and what they tell me the rave scene appears to be dying. The MDMA becoming DXM or god knows what else has probably contributed to this, as well as the heavy Meth explosion. Last time I was there this little froggy bastard got all pissy with me, thinking I was someone else (I guess) and tried to pick a fight with me. This guy was obviously geeked and had been up for a few days so being the good guy that I am I didn't beat his ass for grabbing on my shirt and getting all in my face and shit! Anyway....my friends tell me that something like a fight was once UNHEARD of and were very upset and shocked by it.

4. Hugo Drax

Hugo Drax Member

Raves in the real early 90's were really cool but they seem to be more commercial and less intimate.

5. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I'm not sure what 15 year old girls wearing makeup and fairy wings really has to do with the hippy movement of the 1960's. The whole rave scene is more materialistic and style concious than guys with long beards and hair wearing tattered clothing...the designer drugs seem to play into that materialistic scene....you've got to have a certain amount of disposeable income to a..get into a rave these days and b...to get high....

Around here i see the "noise" scene as being a more hippyish yet modern scene...industrial sounds and artsy people tripping out to it.

the rave scen is more like an extension of the disco scen e of the late 70's

6. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

I just got back from Motion Notion. An open air, 3 day camp out rave festival out in the middle of nowhere in this beautiful valley situated right next to a river.

I would definetly classify my weekend at Motion Notion as quite the hippie fest. It's a completely different crowd of people then the club scene. It was awesome. I can't wait to go again next year.

7. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

I loved going to raves in highschool.. and yes, I was of those twirly-glow-stick-candy-ravers, sad to say... but I really didn't do a wholle lot of acid (maybe twice, both times in very small doses) ... I totally understand that ravers are the new hippys... trends recycle themselves in to marvelous ways...

Ravers are much fun, colourful people, friendly and open and huggy and willing to share and love each other and others... how much more hippie does it get?

8. HippieFlowerGirl67

HippieFlowerGirl67 Banned

9. MaccaByrd

MaccaByrd Member

Not really. Except in the sense that every movement resembles the hippie movement. Perhaps this more than others, but not in particular.

10. *kushbaby*

*kushbaby* Member

ecstasy could never replace acid they're not even in the same ball park. mdma is amazing and can change your life just like acid. but it's not even close to the same.