does anyone do container gardening?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by nimh, May 24, 2004.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i just planted a few things in pots on the patio, and i have some dirt left over. so far i've got cherry tomatoes, basil and oregano. what are some other easy plants for containers?

2. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

depends on container size? Amaranth salad greens/5 gal,basil/5 gal,carrots/5 gal,celery /5 gal,cilantro/5gal,chives/5 gal,garlic/5 gal,sun flowers/5 gal,celert/5 gal,and in a large(24"x21"x18") you can do beans(fava,pole,bush),beets,broccoli,cherry tomatos,chilies,cucumbers(bush,vine),dill,egg plant,kale,leeks,lettuce,mustard greens,onions(green,bulb),parsley,parsnips,peas(bush or vine),peppers,radishes,squash,swiss chard,tomatoes(full size),tomatillos,and turnups to name a few!

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i'm out of big containers. i think i might be able to scrounge up some milk jugs though. is there anything that i can grow in a 1 gallon container?

i'm thinking that maybe i should stick to growing more kitchen herbs and maybe some teas (chamomile maybe?)

4. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

Never had much luck in 1 gallon.Go to you local nursery and you can but used 5 gal nursery containers for $.50 apiece or less!

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

good deal, i'll have to check that out. thx for the idea. :)

6. Erin

Erin Member

i have an apple tree called hank growing in a pot i grew him from seed from an apple i was eating about 3 years ago... i know he will most likley never bare fruit, he is just my friend =P but in the last few weeks he has growen so much he would be about 1.75m tall and i have no idea how im going to get him out of the pot, so i can plant him in the ground. i was thinking maybe just wait untill he is rootbound pretty bad and tap the pot off but by then he will about 2.5m tall i bet.

any ideas?

7. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

Waiting till rootbound is favorable if size is a prob!What size container you in?Upgrade to larger when needed if you choose not to trans outdoors!

8. Erin

Erin Member

25L pot

he is allready root bound but im not sure how much i only potted him on about 5 months ago, iv been giving him worm wee every week and blood and bone once a month, but now since winter is starting to kick in i havent been feeding him, so im thinking this... in a few weeks it will be cold enough and he would of stoped growing so if i do hurt him he will have all winter to get settled in before he shoots off again.

9. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

The blood will supply all the N,bone will supply all the P,you should add some kelp meal(a great soil conditioner,micronutrients,and stress reliever),and some green sand for K.Consider using some hydrated lime(1 tblspoon to gal water to maintain a nuetral PH in soil and allow him to uptake nutrients.#05 perlite is always great for lightening soil(adding oxygen) and creating good drainage!

10. poor_old_dad

poor_old_dad Senior Member

I'd suggest more herbs in containers. Maybe sage, rosemary, tarragon and a couple different types of mint. I'm an organic farmer, mostly growing cooking herbs, tomatoes, peppers, and shiitake mushrooms. I have an herb garden that's crazy big, but even so, the containers are good for many, many reasons.

11. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

wow, you grow shiitake's! is that really hard to do?

12. poor_old_dad

Not hard at all. If you have access to oak or sweet gum trees about 4" diameter, an electric drill, and a little room. I'm really "hard at it" for about a week in late february. The rest of the time I keep an eye on the "logs" and harvest as needed. Shiitake is very good tasting and healthy and profitable, while at the same time being easy (no pests or diseases; no fertilizing or weeding).

THE BOOK is: Growing Shiitake in a Continental Climate (Kozak and Krawczyk)
    check: http://www.shiitakecenter.com/cdc.html

13. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

that's really wild
    i guess i'll add that to my growing list of things i'd like to try doing.

14. poor_old_dad

15. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

nice link

i have a couple of mushroom books on order from the library right now. i guess the season doesnt really start until july though. i really want to get into wildcrafting more. we wildcrafted some siberian miners lettuce on the weekend. that was fun--the flowers taste like sprouts. mushrooms kind of scare me a bit though, i had to have my stomach pumped when i was a kid cause i ate some toadstools.

16. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

Cool dad,I got a couple shitake logs,and a couple portabella logs goin,and reshis in a grow chamber.glad to see another mushroomer in here.green healing thoughts..
    frog