Does anyone agree...

Discussion in 'Activism' started by get stoked, Oct 9, 2007.

1. The Indy Hippy

The Indy Hippy Member

In reality 9/11 wasn't a protest. What it was was the event of our generation that has opened our peers eyes to the corruption an' instability of our government. It has done to us what the Vietnam War did to the previous "innocent generation" When we look out across our shrinking world today most of the problems we have can be traced in someway back to our government. I mean if we hadn't attacked Iraq France would still be our thick corraborators man. Russia wouldn't be pissed at us, the UN wouldn't be stalling bringin' more troops in man. Those monks in Burma wouldn't have had to suffer an' die in vain for their cause. The Iraqians wouldn't be in a vicious civil war. Israel wouldn't be allowed to start any confrontations with the Muslim countries around it. Those same Muslims couldn't get any backing to fight Israel man. I mean seriously open your eyes an' look around man. Our fathers sowed hell an' now we're reapin' it man. 9/11 awakened the anti-political, anti-violence, anti-hatred spirit that Big Brother has tried to drown an' destroy in our generation.

So thanks be to Allah or whatever other God we decide to believe in. Viva Revolution!!

2. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

Okay one more time let me say, according to the arabic/Muslim slant on this event it was a protest.Stay away from their holy land, Mecca, with our WMD.
    "Indy hippy" please take a salt peter pill and calm down dood.The revolution will not be televised.

3. The Indy Hippy

The Indy Hippy Member

You're right man it won't be televised it'll be spoken aloud to every corner of this earth. An' on that day Mother Nature'll sing it out too. The day her children finally come back to her.
    Peace out man

4. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

That must be some far out shit what are you smokin'?

5. The Indy Hippy

The Indy Hippy Member

peace.... peace is what I'm smokin' man.

6. recklessrick

recklessrick Member

how much for a dime bag dood?

7. The Indy Hippy

The Indy Hippy Member

it's free man

8. WWKCD729

WWKCD729 Member

Back on topic although peace is beautiful and a nice high...I think that if any sort of protesting that will occur on a major scale and actually get something done..is coming up in the near future, by near I mean like 3-7 years...but who knows, things happen very quick and arise suddenly..I hope that this next election will finally put the ban on bush, and that a lot of people realize that voting is important for this upcoming election, and that us hippies vote also..thats a protest all in itself...

9. The Indy Hippy

The Indy Hippy Member

I'm not sure about my stance on voting. I kinda want to vote but I still hold to the belief (especially after the whole Bush vs Gore thing last election) that our votes don't really matter any longer. Course maybe I'm just a paranoid SOB who doesn't know any better, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only cat out there who has these fears man.

10. nodirectionhome

nodirectionhome Member

I'm not so sure about voting anymore, either. I was so proud of myself when I voted for the first time, in the midterms last year. I used to be a "yellow dog Democrat," but now I'm really disillusioned with the way things have been going. Democrats were elected to put an end to the war, and so far, I don't see how anything has really changed.

The presidential candidate that I support has no chance of getting elected, so I don't know what I'm going to do come election time. My mom says that my choice is to vote for either the Democratic or the Republican candidate. I told her that I don't want to vote for the lesser of two evils, but she doesn't seem to understand.

11. skamikaze

skamikaze Coffee Addict

i was thinking the same thing today actually. people look at me when i'm crazy when i say i vote for the candidate, not the party. I think it's ridiculous that people will vote along party lines "because their the lesser of two evils." Thats bullshit!! People need to wake the fuck up and vote for someone that they feel can steer this country in the right direction, not the direction that isnt as bad. I am disgusted with the Democrats and cant seem to talk sense into my deeply Democratic family. And to the protest being an "in" thing its good that more people are protesting but we need more than just a show of force. We need action! We need change! We need more than a few thousand chanting the same thing over and over! There is little passion in the anti-war movement, a lot of people dont do more than go to protest and put stickers on their car. idk where i'm going anymore but thats my .02 cents

12. The Indy Hippy

The Indy Hippy Member

Well spoken man well spoken. We need to learn how to think for ourselves man.

13. LostLass

LostLass Member

I never vote along party lines. I vote for the candidates. Too often, in recent years, it seems I and others have voted against someone rather than being genuinely for the other candidate. The last presidential candidate about whom I was genuinely enthusiastic was Al Gore.

side note to Gardener ... in an early post on this thread you mentioned protest being effective in regard to the ERA. That amendment never passed and, though reintroduced every year, is always defeated. Sad to say, people have been fighting for that amendment since 1923.

14. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Well it passed both houses in 1972, all that remained was ratification. I admit I thought it had been ratified. I and my generation dropped the ball. It seems we all lost focus with Reagan's election and the rise of the right wing.

3 votes/states that's all it needed...sad that it's no longer important.

15. hippielove08

hippielove08 Member

you have to stand up for what you believe in . . . think about it on person can start a revolution power to the people man

16. gardener

For Indy and NoDirection, hey I am way older than both of you, but I feel the same way. What I do with state and local elections when I feel that way I look for the most odd ball candidate, the janitor running for the School Board, anyone that doesn't look like a company clone, and I vote for them. And sometimes they do get elected. Just because they don't fit into the usual parties and have big money behind them, doesn't make them unworthy of my vote. In fact it makes them a more viable candidate. Hell they got out there got the signatures showed a little personal conviction. That's a lot more than the prime candidates ever do. When I am really pissed I just vote against the party currently in power, knowing that if they don't live up to their promises I can vote them out and vote the other party in.

That's what happened when Arnold held his special election a couple of years ago, none of his innitiatives passed it was a wash.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/11/09/MNG6IFLAMF1.DTL

But with the two party system and lobbying, hell they still can reap high paying salaries for awhile, until we have them so unbalanced this current system just falls apart. That's my hope. Keep the high paid marketing consultants off balance. They just think they know what they can sell us.

Hey and if you are ever polled always tell them the exact opposite of what you truly plan on doing. If they truly want to know how we stand on issues they should present their platforms honestly to us, and allow open questions during their debates.

17. gardener

And don't get me started on Arnold. The people of California had reelected Gray Davis, it was only with a big injection of republican funds and publicity that a special election was held and the terminator was elected. Gray Davis didn't cause the Enron debacle in California the "Engery Interests" lobby did, Bush and Cheney and their friends profitted. Davis tried honestly to cope with it while Cheney and Bush told us to suck it up and wouldn't step in to stop the rape and pillage of the new unregulated California. And this is what they are doing now with the housing crisis and the huge profits made on oil speculation. They and their friends are becoming hugely rich while you have to budget your fuel in order to get back and forth to work and buy bread at three times the price it was six months ago.

They are playing the Enron loophole once again at the working peoples expense. Bet you thought they closed it.

18. TheDayTripper

TheDayTripper Member

the only way a protest is gonna affect the government of today is if it is in much larger proportions. like thousands of thousands of people.

19. gardener

The only way you can get thousands and thousands of people is one at a time. You can't buy my vote. It's the same way you sell movie tickets. I have to want to buy into it. I don't go to the movies because everyone else is, I go because I want to see the movie. Make a few bad movies I stop going.

20. gardener

You have to hold them accountable. When did we forget that concept.

Aren't you in your occupations held to an annual evaluation. Isn't your compensation based on that? It's not based on polls or marketing it's based on production level. It's now time to hold our elected officials to the same standard.