does anyone actually still live in uncle sam's cabin?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by themnax, Mar 18, 2019.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i just got to thinking about this, seeing one of my fellow furs on f.a. building a model of the supposedly archtypal american house. you know, two stories, with bedrooms and bath upstares, and a full or partial basement?

i've lived, i'd have to take the time to figure it out, how many apartments, rooms, and other odder and less comforatable places, and all of them in the u.s., but not one has ever fully met the above description.

not that i would ever want to live in a mundane cleche'. i'd rather live in something with curved walls and solar panels on the roof, but seeing that, all the nostelgia i guess its supposed to represent, just got me to wondering how many people today, live in, or have ever lived in, the so called, 'typical' american house.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Not me...

My house atm isn't even a traditional German house which is why it's on the edge of town because it pollutes the traditional look that the town goes for. And it's not even that old, I'm pretty sure built in the 80s. All the houses around me are similar, though, they have been rendered now like mine which is an abomination of the tradition, so, stick us out on the edge somewhere so nobody can see. :p

I do happen to live on one of the more highly prized streets though and small suburb district that's really good. "posh" "for rich people" so I hear. It's not really.. Just the houses are more modern and WE HAVE A SATELITE DISH ON THE ROOF OMG! which is also an abomination to the tradition. Can't be seen with a bloody satellite on your roof, that's just not German.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

For a minute there I was like what does this have to do with slavery

Sam, not Tom

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I was raised in that house....typical suburbia...my mom and dad crammed 6 kids into it....my home now is a 80 year old farm house....way bigger than I need yet no room for any more ''stuff''....my living /den room is bigger than many peoples entire apartment

edit...I would make room for a hippie chick

Irminsul likes this.
  5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Had two of those, and two others.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've never lived in that sort of a house, but i see them around all the time so i assume people must live in them.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I had to make a choice...buy a house...or trophy wife

I chose the trophy wife...turns out it was a participation trophy

Irminsul likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think my favorite style of traditional american house is the craftsman bungalow. They're just so cute.

I am also partial to the split level. My grandma had one when I was growing up and it had pocket doors..glorious glorious pocket doors. Plus the different levels made the house seem huge even though it really wasnt that big.

I grew up in a brick ranch style house and I live in a brick ranch style now. My house gives me a lot of nostalgia for my childhood home actually, the layout is pretty similar

And while i'm going off on a tangent about house styles can I just say, I really hate the modern open floor plan style. Detest it! Abhor it! I like well defined spaces and privacy in every room

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

So.. I'm beginning to think that Uncle Sam was maybe more than just a poster?

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I grew up in what could be considered a typical American household, mom, dad, brother, sisters, dog & cat, and small assorted amphibians, reptiles, and small rodents we called pets.

The only difference is we were black so we had an attitude.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  12. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

My old house had exterior shutters on the windows, and it was 2 stories. It was white with a red front door. It looked like an 1890s country home, but it was actually built in 2000. It was very cute and I miss it very much.