Does Anybody Want To Help Me Learn Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'Men's Issues' started by withheldforprivacy, Jul 31, 2017.

1. withheldforprivacy

withheldforprivacy Banned

I'd love to, but i can't afford lessons. Since i somehow have Internet access,
    i thought of trying to make a workout program myself. Does anybody want
    to give me any advice (except the ''you're wasting your time without an
    instructor, give up'' advice).

2 people like this.
  2. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

YouTube has plenty of instructional videos you can learn from, i.e. Empty hand forms, self defense techniques and various weapons training and forms. You can build your own program just from watching and literally taking copious notes and training the techniques repetitively. And of course a study partner to help run through the techniques. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you are trying to do with this.

Orison likes this.
  3. Amerijuanican

Amerijuanican Banned

Find some instructional DVDs, they will help you learn what it takes to earn each belt in your art. Forms, defense moves, etc. to practice.
    Technically you could go all the way to Black Belt with these instructions.
    However I can tell you that sparring with a partner and having a teacher will show you important experience and mistakes you're making that a recording cannot.
    But you could save some money.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Just play street fighter and build those HAADOOOOKUS powers. ;)

Opera ghost and Orison like this.
  5. Whorelord883

Whorelord883 Members

I have over 34 years of studying and practicing martial arts. I joined a half ass tae-kwon- do school around 12yrs old. Walked away almost immediately. The problem I had is even more an issue today. So many schools are not very credible... I found a great sifu and wing chun kung fu changed my life. I went in search of a way to defend myself and found spirituality, self esteem, self discipline.health, stamina, work ethic, honor and a developed mind. It is a traditional chinese defensive art ,but its ancient and it gets criticized in the fight world.
    Bruce Lee himself was wing chun ip man kung fu but saw flaws and created jeet kune do.However, it builds agility and will sharpen you.
    There are many dialects of karate.
    You can hear similar criticism by the same people. I suppose you should ask yourself what are you looking to get out of the art and more important, what are you willing to give it. The term mma itself tells you that learning more than one and mixing the most effective techniques from several arts...Are you wanting to defend yourself with discipline or do you want to destroy? Big difference...
    If you have bullies,threats or live in a hostile environment I would recommend a couple of things.
    One being a standing attack and defense art ,but one that appreciates the importance of footwork and placement. You have been clear that your funds are low. You can learn basic and solid boxing fundamentals online and possibly find a program at the ymca... no, its not the be all end all but it will get you in shape and teach you to use your feet to get you out of harms way and keep yout balance. Thats the benefit. The more you practice the better youll be. Punching with anger ,undeveloped and unfocused is the quickest way to tire yourself, compromise your balance,break your hand and get knocked on your ass. Your hands will take work....but the footwork is still the key. Example:Mayweather. Some hate him but they all respect him. Hes got FEET.. you cant hit him. ...
    but most street fights will see the ground and that brings me to recpmmending Gracie or Machado ju jitsu..Sometimes you can find a school that will let you clean up or labor to work out with them. It is a submission art .Its common to see technique defeat size and strength ... There are better arts for your standing game ,but I was keeping your budget in mind. .but I stand behind jujitsu...or if you have the cash Kajukembo. Which is a blend of kempo karate kung fu. Jujitsu and korean karate...its a pretty agressive art but effective..
    My background is wing chun and tai chi .... kajukembo ...and informal studies of Aiki-jujitsu
    That blends the footwork of aikido and the ground game of jujitsu...
    Itd just been a part of my life for most of my life. I have nothing to prove and start no drama. Its not about fighting its about securing peace. Be careful in selecting a school. case and point I am certified to teach and my knowledge is solid. but I AM NO TEACHER...I taught my daughter and she would be a better sifu than myself...Dont fall for bullshit. Check em out ...#1 its money #2 your ass may depend on it..Sorry so long. Just something Itake a bit serious...

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Orison and idahocowboy like this.
  6. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

7. Eric!

Here's some Master Wong for you:

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

Opera ghost and Eric! like this.
  9. deleted

deleted Visitor

I target legs .. shin kicker.. I can still break pine 2/4 and most never see that move coming because they are paying attention to your face while they talk shit..

10. Eric!

11. Eric!

Oh shit, it's Pai Mei!!

image.jpeg

Opera ghost and Orison like this.
  12. Eric!

My favorite they never see coming is the web-hand strike to the throat. I can deploy it at lightning speed- Denzel Washington uses it all the time:)

Orison likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

throat punch comment on fb - has me in jail... :D

14. Whorelord883

Whorelord883 Members

That dude is a beast

Eric! likes this.
  15. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

You guys got it all wrong. If you really want to learn martial arts from a true master. Dragon Fly Jones(the one in red) is your man. Watch a true master at work:

Eric! and Orison like this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

A+B >>^v>

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

Eric! likes this.
  18. Sparkle Princess

Sparkle Princess Members

I have trained in the Martial Arts before, it is fun.

idahocowboy likes this.
  19. idahocowboy

idahocowboy Members

Fun, and useful.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Damn I wish I could be a ninja, NiNjA

Test your might.