Does anybody like Tolkein?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by bennyh, Jul 17, 2006.

1. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

I was going to ask the same thing. I actually tried reading through Lord of the Rings, but just could not get through them...It was far too dull in the beginning. I think I will try again one day. That was a long time ago when I last tried reading them..

2. ronald Macdonald

ronald Macdonald Banned

I have read them and tolkein sucks like a pump
    the books are really so boring and tiresome that I
    have to say from a purely personal perspective, they are pap

3. feralfey

feralfey Member

I love Tolkien. The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, even Unfinished Tales. For whoever asked, the word is linguist. :) I prefer the books to the movies, but then I almost always do. But I think that the movies were fairly done well, considering. I also know a lot of people who read the books because of the movies.

4. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

Actually The Hobbit is great - I LOVED it, but I had forgotten about it. I dunno about LoTR though...seems kinda dull. I will try again and hopefully change my mind! :D

5. Lothloz

Lothloz Member

i usally prefer books to movies, usally the movies make me mad cose they have missed something out or changed it to suit the hollywood thing but lotr are really the only films that i feel are better than the books because of all the detail that was out into the books!it broke up the actual story too much for me! maby im just simple lol

6. Lion

Lion Member

I like Tolkien but I only liked The Hobbit and LOTR I didnt like the unfinished tales or the history of Middle Earth. Go Gimili and Legolas!

7. oncetwicepass

oncetwicepass Member

this is why i like him. he paints a great picture in my mind. movie-like.
    the silm is my favorite by far but i love em all. i got the new book (children of hurin)
    and finished it in 3 days. im such a lotr nerd....
    anyways it's good, goes into some more detail about turin's deeds
    thats my favorite tale but its so sad :(

8. Morganna

Morganna Member

I love Tolkein. I read hm to death when I was in Seventh grade and I need to get the books again.

My favorite character is Samwise Gamgee, a true friend to the very end.

9. honey_pie

honey_pie Member

Tolkien is a great writer,i've read all of his books,and LotR is my favorite.
    I got the Hobbit and i liked it,so i decided to search for other books,and my cousin told me she had a book that she hated because it had too much details and she felt tired,but the book was from the same author i wanted. lol
    So i started reading the first book and i LOVED it,so i decided to buy the others (and she couldnt believe). I couldnt stop reading,the world created by Tolkien is amazing. And i'm a person who loves books full of details,i think its better if i want to imagine the places and characters,so it was a good choice.
    Then i decided to buy Unfinished Tales and then Silmarillion. They are great as well,Tolkien had a brilliant imagination!

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

The Silmarillion is his greatest work - I have had flashes of beauty from it equivalent to anything in english literature. Tolkien was a true genius.

11. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

You folks going on about the Silmarillion, perhaps aren't aware that it is just a compilation of poems and crap, that Tolkien's son published after his death. And it reads just like what it is... something that wasn't actually put together by the author.

The trilogy was published in the 50s, why didn't he himself finish this "monumental" work in the twenty some years following? Unless he wasn't all that happy with it. It wasn't published until 1977, and he had been dead for four years by then.

12. Morganna

Morganna Member

For some reason, I never liked anything without hobbits in it that he wrote, lol.

13. lakeoffire

lakeoffire Live.Laugh.Fuck.

I loooooooooved the Hobbit but thats the only book I read by him. I wasnt really into the movies though

14. Anastazija

Anastazija Member

I love Tolkein. I used to "live" with his characters while I was reading LOTR. Now I'm still conected to his world by playing D'N'D.

15. ametisti

ametisti Member

:hysterica WHAT!! there are people who don't like him.
    thats crazy!

16. Lady Midnight

Lady Midnight Member

My God I really love Tolkien! I've read 'The Lord of the Rings' every year since I was 9 years old. His philosophy has really infulenced that way I view the world in a profound way.

Has anyone read any of Verlyn Flieger's books about his work? I'd reccomend 'The Splintered Light: Language and Logos in Tolkien's Mythology.'

http://mythus.com/splinteredlight.html

Very insightful. You have to have read 'The Silmarillion' to really understand it though

17. Mr. Melty

Mr. Melty Member

wow been awhile...only read the hobibt by him it was awesome. i tried to read the silmarillion, got halfway through and stopped reading a book halfway through...which was a first :p

18. Hikari

Hikari Member

Ohhhh! I love Tolkein. I can read The Lord of Rings in one day! The Silmarillion is interesting but hard to follow at times.

19. POVExdeath

POVExdeath Member

My favorite work by Tolkien is actually The Hobbit, not any of the LOTR books. I also have Unfinished Tales of Middle Earth and the Silmarillion, but I couldn't wrap my head around those 5 years ago and I haven't tried since.

If you're trying to start LOTR with The Fellowship of the Ring the entire first part of that book is the most BORING thing to read in history. When they're having the party over at Frodo's or whatever its so boring. I only got through that part because I had to read a book for class in 8th grade and that's what I chose, I couldn't choose a different 1. If I was just getting into Tolkien's work and I started with The Fellowship of the Ring I would probably throw it in the trash as a waste of money. The Two Towers and the Return of the King (I think they are) are MUCH better and really grab you hard.

I also hate the movies. The transitions between scenes are just too weird because they had to chop a lot out to fit the storylines in. It doesn't feel real, it just feels like they got good actors to splice a bunch of "epic-looking" scenes together. They should've really had like 6 movies at least, instead of 3. I mean, Harry Potter is getting 7 movies, its not like 6 LOTR movies would've been a lot.

20. Vana

Vana Member

Silmarilion = Drrrrrrrrrrrrrrool. Adore it. So indepth, original, beautiful peice of work. Loved learning about Elrond's origins... he's deffinitely my fave character. Also loved the fact I had learned thousands of years of "elvish history". Soooo excellent.

I took the name, Vana, from Vana the Ever Young actually :p