Does anybody like Tolkein?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by bennyh, Jul 17, 2006.

1. bennyh

bennyh Member

I REALLY like the Lord of the Rings, etc......does anybody else like these books??

2. severedheadstoner

severedheadstoner ridiculously sane

yeh man. i think you'll find a lot of people like his books.

i loved lord of the rings when i was younger. i know it too well to bother reading it now.

3. Free Bud

Free Bud Member

lol man if someone doesnt like tolkien they shouldnt be in this part of the forum

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

tom bombadil
    tom bombadillo
    his jacket bright blue
    and his boots were yellow

farmer giles of ham. a leaf by nigel. i liked the way i read them in my own mind when i did.

=^^=
    .../\...

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Anybody read The Simillarion?

6. Memory

Memory Member

I love Tolkien, he's probably my favorite author. I have read The Silmarillion about 7 times now. Right now I'm currently reading The Two Towers, I'm about half way through.

7. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

Several times, you can't just read it once and understand everything. It's a masterpiece. I love it more than the Hobbit and the LOTR

8. bad cat

bad cat Member

i met his big strange world with the lord of the rings series.i was very young and it fascinated me deeply.he really has a big imagination,and a daydreamer like me can easily fall into it :)

9. Foxes_Den

Foxes_Den Outta here...

I love Tolkein as well... but now I'm going to get some tomatoes thrown at me, because while he was a wonderful writer who did a great thing with the books, I just wish he hadn't fallen so in love with his own text as the LOTR went on. He simply got more and more wordy as each book progressed. It didn't make them bad, it just didn't make them read as well as they might have. My two bits...

10. ametisti

ametisti Member

Love Tolkien, he's the reason I read. [​IMG]

However, I believe that with the making of the LOTR movies less people will actually read the LOTR books. Although, I liked the movies (even with the missing parts) in reality they could have made three movies per book. And the people who 'watch' and not 'read' will not experience the story in its entirety.

And that saddens me. [​IMG]

11. Ghost-in-the-Snow

Ghost-in-the-Snow Banned

That was his intention really though. He didn't write them for people to read, he wrote them mostly for himself. He was a...(not sure what it's termed...but a person who studies languages and such)...and wished to create his own...which turned out to be Elvish. He was in love with words so he fitted as many into his books as he could. =)

12. Yakima

Yakima Member

Tolkien's books are really great!
    Bilbo is my favourite :)

13. fountains of nay

fountains of nay Planet Nayhem!

I read Tolkien when I was quite small. It took me ages to get my head around the Silmarillion.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I red all of his books. Much respect to Tolkien for creating such a complete fantasy world. His fairytales are sweet as well.

15. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I'm just re-reading 'The Silmaillion', quite some years since the first read. It is every bit as good as I remembered it to be. A vast work of imagination.

16. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

I only read the Hobbit and I think the movies are better because he puts too much detail into the scenery in the books...

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hm, I like the books better. It leaves more to the imagination, although he does give quite a lot of details about the scenery indeed.
    Also, I think the story is better for a book then for a movie. Perhaps that's not the case with the Hobbit, but it is for Lord of the rings. I was more intrigued while reading it then while watching the movies. Nine hours of bringing a ring to a mountain just is hard to keep interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love the story, but more in the bookform.

18. Lothloz

Lothloz Member

i found the books sooo hard to read because of all the detail!! i do enjoy the lord of the rings but at the risk of u lot wanting to throw large heavy objects at me i found the films better as you could follow the story without having to wade your way through all the detail!! mabey one day i will read the books again and enjoy them more.

19. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

the story was very interesting, but his writing style bored me a bit. Hobbit has to be my favorite, though. Hopefully I'll get to read the silmarillion again sometime soon

20. Ovimor

Ovimor Member

Honestly, did you need to ask? The only people that don't like them havn't read them yet! :)