Does a Standard Urine Test check for drugs???

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Flav_cool, May 22, 2004.

1. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Member

Hi,

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday just to have a general checkup, and he decided to take a urine test to make sure everything is alright. Will they check for drugs or just like check for blood in the urine and other things? Does it have to be specifically a drug test, or do all urine tests also check for drugs is what I'm asking.

Please Help,

Flav, a big smoker

2. blazer326

blazer326 Member

Well it takes SPECIAL equipment and certain chemicals to test for drugs. So they might not test for it.
    Now if its a blood test (expensive) then you are screwed.

3. TrenchTownRock

TrenchTownRock Member

Doesn't THC metabolites filter out of your blood MUCH faster than you're urine though? I heard it was able to be detected in your blood for FAR LESS a time than in your urine.

4. akhc

akhc Member

depends.. did he send it away? generally speaking in the UK us medics wouldn't send your urine away for drugs without your specific consent..

dipstick test don't test for drugs.

5. blazer326

blazer326 Member

No..it stays in your blood MUCH longer than your urine.

6. garf12

garf12 Member

Man I am in the same problem. I am working on getting my private pilots licence, and you are required to get a medical before you can get it. Well i was reading the requirment for the medical and it said urine test, but it didnt mention drug. I am thinking (hoping) that it is just looking for diabetes and such.

7. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

A standard urine test will NOT be looking for drugs, and it won't find any.

A drug test has to be specifically ordered (and consented to, in most cases). It would be referred to as a "Tox Screen" or a "NIDA 5-panel" on the paperwork to the lab.

8. Marley-Sunshine

Marley-Sunshine Member

I'm in the same boat. I want to get my license, but I have to get a physical before I can get it; glad to know that it's safe.

9. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Member

Ok, thanks guys. So thsi was just a urine test after a general checkup, it shouldn't check for drugs if they didn' ttell me right?

10. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

No, they shouldn't. But be aware that at least in the US, if you are a minor, your parent/guardian can request such a test without your consent or knowledge....

11. ncsu123

ncsu123 Member

it wont matter what happens, ur eather clear or screw'd
    good luck :)

12. garf12

garf12 Member

what type of license? Drivers or Pilots?

13. NightShadow

NightShadow Member

No they can't test for drugs without your prior knowlage.. If for some reason you are tested and they test for marajuana and you know you won't pass, they will ask you if your on any medication. Mention over the counter drugs medications which are cross-reactive, such as Advil, Nuprin, Motrin, or Mydol.
    Hope this helps someone.

14. babynug

babynug Member

i work in a doctor's office. if you over 18 they cannot test your urine for drugs unless you agree. however, i do not know if a parent could request a test for a child without their knowledge. possibly? i only work with 'adults'. general physicals usually include a routine "urinalysis" which is looking for blood,protein,sugar, and infection in the urine. they are making sure the person doesn't have diabetes, kidney problems, or other problems. hope that helps

15. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Member

That last medical advice really helped. I thought they would just be checking for regular health problem things but I wasn't sure. It's monday now, and the urinalysis or w/e was on friday. I haven't heard anything yet, but today it's Victoria day so I wouldn't expect to hear anything anyways.