Do you value historic preservation?

Discussion in 'History' started by 6-eyed shaman, Apr 30, 2018.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Around here the only historical thing of note that I'm aware of are The Wooldridge Monuments. I remember seeing it for the first time when I was a kid; I laughed my ass off because the dog in the procession had a penis.

Wooldridge Monuments - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  2. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

The first grist mill (converted into a house). The mill was built in 1721. A good friend of mine who had a degree in historical preservation lived there until she died a couple of months ago.

[​IMG]

MeAgain, GLENGLEN and 6-eyed shaman like this.
  3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I've thought a lot about it, and I think that if I'd have been around 150 or more years ago in a primitive western settlement, I'd have been a blacksmith.

4. 6-eyed shaman

This is probably the oldest landmark around here that I know of.

I live along the southern route of the Oregon trail called the Applegate Trail. It was a southern route for pioneers who did not want to raft down the Colombia river and risk drowning, as it happened to many westbound travelers. (The Colombia River was the final level in the Oregon Trail computer game from back in the day)

This 1846 grave is from one of the pioneers who was on the very first wagon train that trail-blazed the southern passage.

[​IMG]

scratcho, Irminsul and GLENGLEN like this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I took this photo in 2010. You can see scaffolding around, which is what I mean about the preservation works. This is
    Neuschwanstein Castle, the pride of Bavaria. The castle that influenced Walt Disney's castle. We come a few times a year and walk up the slopes. I have been inside before too. :)

6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

cant see it irmi (no permish )

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Hmm aren't you a friend of mine lol? Probably cause it's in my private album.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

There are many buildings in the States that slaves helped to build, such as The White House, so what? They weren't built as monuments to slavery.

The statues that are being removed were commisioned to honor traitors to the United States. Men who abandoned their requirement to uphold the American Constitution, such as General Robert E. Lee.
    Lee was offered the defense of Washington D.C., instead of defending the United States capitol he resigned from the army and joined the South. He abandoned his duty to his country in its hour of need and worse, joined with the enemy.

Lee was directly responsible for at least 165,506 Union causalities during the war, United States soldiers who were defending their nation.
    Why would we erect statues to men who were our enemies, and I might add, fighting to preserve the enslavement of an entire race?

As far as ancient Egyptian statues, they weren't built after a civil war that was fought to end slavery to honor those who wished to continue slavery . They are irrelevant to the American Civil War.

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Yes Mate we are Friends still cant see it for some reason ! can you see My Pictures ? this forum has gone weird lately

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The confederate flag is used in other European countries. Perhaps not Germany but among the far right anti Muslim immigrant parties it's popular.

Trump and American politics are their example. Trust me they love everything having to do with "redneck" culture. The guns, the white pride, the laws that allow guns to be used. It is a dream for Europe with their PC officials who try to help immigrants.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I've never experienced any of that. Only confed flag I ever see is on a Harley Davidson riders jacket. Cause he thinks himself a rebel. :p

And many of our gun laws are quite free and open, it must be very specific countries, countries like Poland even wouldn't use a co federate flag at all either, they'd go straight for a swastika as it's not banned there.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No point asking me why, your fellow countrymen already did. Lol.

14. 6-eyed shaman

Holy cow Irminsul you took that photo?
    I follow Architecual Revival as well

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No not that one lol.
    AhhhhhhHhhHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    HANG ON I'LL post the one I took.
    I'm not sure what the quality is like as I'm just pinching it from my album here at HF

94613.jpg

6-eyed shaman, MeAgain and Mallyboppa like this.
  16. Toasted Oats

Toasted Oats Members

When bigoted organizations adopted the stars and bars as a symbol they turned it into a symbol of hate. That means they won.
    Can you think of anyone else that did the same?

swastika.gif

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

All I see is the four wings of the sun.
    >.>

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i value seeing the diversity of other ways people have done things. how they approached and solved different problems and the ones they had faced.
    other then some areas of technological development, i'm more interested in thousands of years ago then mere decades or centuries though.

i'm not real impressed by the invasion of the western hemisphere a few centuries ago, but i am interested in what was there that they invaded and attempted to destroy.