Do you think summer is tiring for birds?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by ChoosChins, Sep 21, 2019.

1. ChoosChins

ChoosChins Members

Because of the extended sunlight? They wake up so early and go to sleep so late?

2. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Not as tiring as it is for Bats - those lazy buggers sleep-in for all of the day

Candy Gal likes this.
  3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

That's weird because I had this same thought just yesterday.. Do they enjoy sleeping in when it gets darker longer? Do they feel relieved that they don't have to feed the chicks any longer?

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Bird: oh here's Irminsuls house I'll sit in this tree

Also bird: and sing all day so she can't get any sleep lolhahalol

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

my theory is that they need more sleep in the winter because they're expending a lot of energy trying to stay warm. but that is in no way based on science, and i'm not actually even sure that the idea that they're awake longer in the summer is true.

Orison likes this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

do birds really notice anything besides food, preditors, and the pretty countryside rolling by below when they fly.
    i don't know if they have the sensory feedback to notice when their wings are getting tired.
    it almost has to not be in the form of pain. they do have brains that feel emotions and process data,
    and have the kinds of dreams that enable them usually to avoid predators, at least on the ground.

the notion that non-humans can't imagine and know that they are imagining, run predictive scenarios in their minds, is non-sense.
    but their processing bandwidth is limited, and the biggest deficiency in relation to us, is lack of interest in creative expression.

migratory birds are of course, very much aware, though perhaps mostly at the subconscious level, of seasons and the cycle of them.
    but what about birds and other creatures that migrate over shorter distances or not at all?

they too require some awareness of changing seasons for their own survival.

i think a lot of that would depend on particular species and their role in their environment.

just birds and longer days are too much of a generalization without being more specific as to individual species.

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The arctic tern flies from the south pole to the north pole and back again, and finds summer a well deserved break from the long commute.

Rahab likes this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

but isn't summer the reason for the long commute?
    (and winter too of course)

i don't know about birds, but i know summer is tiring for me.
    it invites me outside with pretty blue sky's,
    then beats me over the head with its oppressive temperatures,
    whenever i answer its call.

9. wooleeheron

Summer in Death Valley is 114f, while winter in antarctica can reach -70f. Whether you think of them as commuting to escape summer or winter depends on who you ask.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

winter you have to dress for, summer you run out of things to take off.
    if you're a non-human all you can do is either migrate, or den up and sleep it off.

11. wooleeheron

Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and people build bomb shelters capable of surviving nuclear winter.

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

It sounds like every single one of you including the OP failed science...p

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

is there a particular science you are referring to?

i did fail chemistry twice. the first time someone stole my lab book when it was too late to drop the class, and the second was when i was financially unable to complete the semister.
    i've never taken a biology class, so i can't claim to have failed it, but i did take one on environmental zoology.

rollingalong likes this.
  14. wooleeheron

Science has failed us, destroying the entire planet, so it seems only fair.

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

so do you think they still wake up at half four in winter but just don't sing until 8 or whatever when it gets light?

ChoosChins likes this.
  16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

yes a subject in school destroyed the planet and you are one depressing f*** such a goddamn Joy

17. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

they're different birds completely the birds you hear in the summer are not the same birds that you hear in the winter in most cases this question is impossible to answer because birds have too many species with too many characteristics I mean chickens are birds so what are we talkin about here?

MeAgain likes this.
  18. wooleeheron

Science is not a subject in school, it is grim people working for the military and corporations, who censor everything you learn in school. If you had any real clue as to just how badly you've been lied to and manipulated by these people, you'd find a different way to vent that anger.

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Most of you people know nothing about birds....

rollingalong likes this.
  20. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I didn't think of that.
    It feels like there are some I hear all year but I'm not sure.. Robins maybe.
    As for what birds we're talking about, I'm talking about the birds I hear, here : ) no one else is. I assume we're all talking about our own birds.

themnax likes this.