Do You Think Race is a Social Construct?

Discussion in 'People' started by TheSamantha, May 25, 2014.

1. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

the US Gov. is deeply invested in quantifying its citizens by race.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Why?
    again it is from the fear instilled in us over lame shit like using the "N" word and silly superficial shit like that.

again typifying that most are not able to discern between rational science and emotional politics and far too often mix the two into a ineffectual mash of nice sounding catch-phrases and other meaningless bullshit.

1 person likes this.
  3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I think races are contests.

1 person likes this.
  4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXzGL1JAlCc"]Bob Marley - Rat race - Remastered [HD] - with lyrics - YouTube

5. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Genetic derivation is far more specific and scientific than 'race' it's not meaningless bullshit or silly superficial bullshit. You go right ahead and say ****** all you want. And don't talk to me about being able to discern between rational science and emotional bullshit you are the one who believes in an invisible god so STFU :biker:

6. thedope

Those contests taking the form of evolutionary expression. Forms contesting with local conditions. Race isn't outdated, it just has no fixed expression.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You're a genetic derivationicist!

Just doesn't have the same appeal. =[

8. thedope

So what, now I'm fat?

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Iunno, do you live in America? Probably then. Nerr nerr. =p

10. thedope

It's summertime in north america and the living is easy but I myself am lean and grizzled living on the fat of the land itself. If my skin is brown it's cause it reduces the suns glare. I am racing, circulating, conditionally endowed with the common currency of species.

not that you were inquiring

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The view that race is only a social construct is contradicted by biological evidence. Along with blood protein and DNA data, ... forensic scientists are able to classify skulls by race. Narrow nasal passages and a short distance between eye sockets mark a Caucasian, distinct cheekbones identify a Mongoloid and nasal openings shaped like an upside down heart typify a Negroid (Ubelaker & Scammell, 1992).

Of course it is simplified to divide all the world's peoples into just three major races. This ignores "Negritoes" and "Australoids," but also subdivisions within the macro races. Within the Mongoloid population distinctions might be drawn between east Asians like the Sino-Japanese and Koreans, and Amerindians and south Asians like the Filipinos and Malays. Similarly, the classification "Negroid" includes Bantu-speaking Africans, pygmies, Khoisan bushmen, and the socially classifiable blacks in the Americas who are hybridized with whites and Amerindians (in the United States by about 25 percent, Chakraborty et al., 1992).

Caucasoids include Europeans, Middle Easterners, and members of the Indian subcontinent. It is unclear where still other groups belong. Are Polynesians Caucasian, Mongoloid, or some degree of admixture between them? , 1992)

Hotwater

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I guess I could have made it clearer that it was meant as a general statement and not directed at you personally, I know you got more on the ball than that. ;)
    BUT
    just because you may have never seen God, does that mean he/she/it is invisible?

if a bear shits in the woods, will we hear it....
    what is the sound of one hand masturbating....
    nevermind, we all know what that sounds like :mickey:

13. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

There are physical feature expression differences from specific regions sure, but that has to do with natural selection, rather than race.

Race is a vague term, and given that in political discussions, the terms "nationality/race" become synonymous, I have to counter that YES RACE is a social invention of control and shaming, based on the fallacy of visual appearance.

What you call physical differences, is what I call trait expression, but I do not call it "Race", and you shouldn't either.

14. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

I think race is an arbitrary social invention, but I also think because society has such a strong impact on us that it does biologically change a person's genetic makeup. So, it's like that stupid question, "What came first, the chicken or the egg?" To really know what came and impacted first, we would have to go way back because right now society and biology are impacting each other to form a human being that is different than another human being. But, from my limited research, I think way back then there was racial tension and that starting and impacted these biological changes we have now. So, if there was no racial tension, I think I would have been 7' feet tall, very dark, fully healthy, and look like everyone else. And I'm not going to lie, that would have been awesome, to be like an ape-woman, like all the other ape-women.

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

race is a bullshit construct. one invented for the bullshit purpose of devide and concor.
    i'm not saying that racial bias, along with ideological and religious, are things that don't exist.
    what i'm saying is that this whole idea of the existence of such a thing as a race, any race, that's just complete nonsense.

16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

^^ there are differences among people from different parts of the world. And that's something that contributes to the rich tapestry of life. Under the skin there's only people.

Where I live now, the small number of Black people in the area look better to me than most of the white British working class and under class that make up most of the remainder of the populous.

17. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

"Race" is a joke. Humans are humans, not matter their color. Just as dogs are still dogs, no matter their color. When you start talking about differences, then it's more species than race. Nothing wrong with calling any of them or anyone a species. Is it wrong to call a dog a Rottweiler or a Dingo or a French Poodle? They are species, that's all. Just as African, Latin, White, and so on.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

its a political construct. to devide and concor.

19. smoothntan

smoothntan Banned

Go and try to explain to the normal citizens of Ferguson and Baltimore that race is a social construct. Better yet , try that one race , human race BS on a White Female stuck in the "hood". See what kind of response you garner. LOL. Welcome to reality.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

reality is that normality is also a myth. there is something called sanity, but there is no one way or thing it is healthier, moraller, or anything else, to be.

of course social constructs are a real thing, politicians create them to hoodwink the public.