Do you think it's right to complain if you didn't vote?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Thekarthika, Oct 5, 2011.

?

Do you think it's right to complain if you didn't vote?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Voter turnout in the US is already the worst in the developed world, and the people elected Donald Duck to oppose the same congress they elected, because the entire electorate has been gerrymandered to death, and their votes are now meaningless. Give the idiots all the rope they want, and they will surely hang themselves, because our country is now led by the KKK and the idea we even have a democracy anymore or that anyone is going to demand serious changes is absurd. They are all still telling themselves and their teachers and children that their votes still matter, despite every university in the country having evidence to the contrary.

Voting is for complete idiots, who prefer reality TV to actually sharing their words and playing nice. You don't really think the US political system represents anyone other than the wealthy and the KKK? They've taken away our votes, our rights, and started throwing people over the border and declaring war on the entire world.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

A proper functioning democracy is a democracy where the majority of votes actually matter. Yes, they exist. No, they might not benefit every single citizen. Mind you; I'm not talking about an ideal utopia. Simply a democracy where one's vote matters.
    You don't vote because you feel it doesn't matter right? Not sure if its due to lack of representation of your political wants and needs (can imagine that is it if I lived there) or that those wants and needs might be representated adequately by some tiny party that can never make a significant impact due to your country's 2 party system (seems sad and hopeless to me too), or another reason.
    But not voting at all seems no solution to anything. It doesn't take that much time and effort to vote. But yeah, it does take time and effort to make it count (in the nearby future).
    I understand I'm talking from a luxury position here. I haven't spend that time on it either. My country has a shitload of diverse parties that can make an impact. But I honestly think your country can have a similar thing (not in the exact same way perhaps. different countries, different structures and all. But yes, you guys can have a properly functioning democracy too)

Okiefreak likes this.
  3. wooleeheron

Sorry to disappoint you, but the assumption in a democracy is that the majority can always take care of itself, even if it has to resort to becoming a lynch mob. Its the fucking minorities that require a vote and some sort of reassurance they won't be eaten alive by the majority. It tends to be helpful, unless you enjoy civil wars.

4. Asmodean

You having a differing opinion or insight does not disappoint me ;) :p

Everyone requires a meaningful vote. You're part of the majority on one issue and part of a minority on another.

5. wooleeheron

The black slaves would beg to differ. Either you are a human being and have a vote and a voice that count for something meaningful, or its time to go to fucking war. One third of the US has made everyone's vote except for the white people all but meaningless, which is how the civil war started. Go ahead, tell minorities they are actually part of the majority, while you throw Jews in the ovens.

6. Asmodean

You're thinking in kinds of people (and in rigid black and white). I'm (obviously) thinking in issues to vote on when I say you're part of a majority sometimes and of a minority other times.

Okiefreak likes this.
  7. wooleeheron

Democracy is either "We The People" or its a fucking lynch mob. You can't please everybody all the time, but when one third or more of the country can't ever be pleased its a recipe for disaster.

8. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The main things that distinguish democracy from a lynch mob are norms and process. Democracy is a way of settling controversies by a process of voting and a norm of abiding by the outcome. The "We the People" populism you seem to be pushing is in accord with the view that procedural democracy is "bourgeois formalsim", and that true democracy must mean the actual will of the people--or "general will" as Rousseau put it--prevailing at all times. But in practice, that never works out and always leads to plebiscitary dictatorship. Your rhetoric suggesting that there are no meaningful differences among parties or candidates and that people are fools for voting until the influence of elites and money has been eliminated gets us to Trump. Short of revolution, which I don't see on the horizon, we need to make incremental choices from the alternatives available. Staying home gets us Trump again. Some day, there may be no alternatives.

9. wooleeheron

Hemroids are the norm, while Pavlov rang a bell. Argue all you like, but the civil war was caused by a minority of the population deciding the majority were pushovers and sharing a democracy with the Yankees was useless and counterproductive for them, despite the north even giving their slaves a "partial vote". Sad to say, its hard to call a democracy functional when they start killing each other by the millions, no matter what "norms" and "process" you use. Native Americans were laughed out of the supreme court repeatedly for complaining their treaties were being violated, because democracy demands actual social taboos and personal integrity to work, like any system.

A lynch mob can adopt all the norms and process it wants, and still throw even their own members in the ovens. They can write a constitution, and promise the land will be yours so long as the skies are blue and the grass green. The only real judge of a true democracy, is how many people say it is complete horseshit. In the case of America today, that's every major university study done for the last 30 years. Republicans got their wish, a government nobody believes in.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

What black slaves? We fought a war to get rid of slavery, and since then, African-Americans have made progress with civil rights and even an African-American President. It wasn't just African-American votes that made that happen. There is plenty of blowback, and if African-American voters give up, they'll get more Trump and Republicans. Racial minorities, including Hispanics, are now around 325 of the population--nearly as large as the Trump base, which is overwhelmingly white and older. Now is not the time to get discouraged.

11. wooleeheron

Who said I was discouraged? Its impossible to be let down by a lynch mob that has been stripping you of your vote and rights for over twenty years. You kill lynch mobs, rather than, crying in your soup. Civil war could be the best thing to happen to this country in a century.

12. wooleeheron

Blacks fought against the south in the civil war. Who said I was discouraged? Its impossible to be let down by a mindless lynch mob that has been stripping you of your vote and rights for over twenty years. You kill lynch mobs, rather than, crying in your soup that they have lost their humanity. Civil war could be the best thing to happen to this country, stopping the south from spreading their insanity everywhere. Somebody has to have personal integrity, and it most certainly is not the KKK.

13. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

holy crap, no. That's never a good idea

14. sherman march

sherman march Members

freedom of speech means anyone and everyone can complain about anything and everything whether they chose to vote or chose not to vote.