Do You Think Hippie Comeback Into Today Youth?

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by BarneySmallOak, Apr 30, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Yes!

I see a lot of people who think if they own tie-dye or have taken LSD they are hippies when they are very selfish people. You are just getting high. "Hippie" is about more than that.

"Conservative hippie" is an oxymoron but a lot of people alive in the 60's feel since they were there their feelings on the current world matter more. And that political view is an older person one often.

SoftieGaia and Running Horse like this.
  2. Brotherly love make a comeback? I don't know how they'd stand out against all of the corporate advertisements calling for the same exact thing. RELOVELUTION? Just look at any good Pepsi commercial. I think the Baby Boomers have firmly shoved that concept down our throats, even if they don't really live it.

I still think individualism is the only revolution there ever was. You don't need to fit in with any hippie, punk, etc. etc. stereotype to live it, either. I don't think the fashions will make a comeback on a large scale. They're always being co-opted anyway. The only way to dress now is like a hobo. Then you are an individual and part of a subculture.

recordal and Terry B like this.
  3. Terry B

Terry B Life is wonderful

i think the live and let live culture is dead. Way to many keyboard warriors, narcissist and bullies out there. These folks take pleasure in squashing free thoughts. I am not sure if they understand their killing free will or just enjoy being the loudest voice in the room.

4. Spilled-Patchouli

Spilled-Patchouli Members

Yes and no, as a Gen Z teenager, I have seen radical response (politically) to the alt-right of our generation. I'm not sure if you would know this if you weren't our age, but a lot of boys
    (they are mostly boys) are truly and openly racist, misogynist, etc. By this I don't mean simply being right of center, but truly hating women, truly hating minorities, and truly hating gays— just check out 4chan or even Reddit. Basically, my point in saying this is that there has been a political response akin to that of 60's from leftists/liberals. Support for social welfare is incredibly common, with most believing that college should be nearly free and that we should expand socialized medicine among other policies. However, most teenagers would probably not conform to the hippy lifestyle or, rather, the hippy "look". It is not considered to be very trendy. Not sure if this makes any sense.

Sunflower Sky and SoftieGaia like this.
  5. onceburned

onceburned Banned

they were taught those things at home...……….

6. Spilled-Patchouli

Maybe a little bit, but have you seen the YouTube autoplay? You can be watching a video about just about anything and then autoplay will give you Richard Spencer "highlights" within a few videos. I'm sure they learn baseline, moderate, conservative views from home, but what's online is entirely different. I will admit, our generation was in part raised by the internet. Maybe not when I was a kid, but I made a lot of internet friends as a teen. All it takes is falling into the wrong crowd, and on the internet, that's all too easy.

SoftieGaia likes this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Meh. I see just as many people, also youth, embracing and displaying 'hippie' values
    Society must have been a lot better just before the hippies became a thing

8. onceburned

onceburned Banned

I should have said they were not taught by their parents how to be civil.

9. Spilled-Patchouli

Oh, I see, and I'd completely agree.

10. SoftieGaia

SoftieGaia Members

I think it will be difficult because of the rampant materialism among my generation. I’ve tried to start an organization to kickstart a revival and had a main goal revolving being more conscientious about the toll we are taking on another Earth, but no one really cared. I think people have chosen to be divided and it may be up to the Og hippies to reach out and teach the young folk that the way we are living is in chaos because we are missing the ability to see what truly matters in this life.

6Sailor9 likes this.
  11. 6Sailor9

6Sailor9 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to HF SoftieGaia!! Thanks for sharing. Introduce yourself please!

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

In this modern era,starting in the the late 40s with the beatniks that later morphed into the hippie "movement ", there were serious issues to rebel against --the war--the mistreatment of blacks--the idea of working endlessly for low pay--the restrictions on sex--the treatment of women, etc.
    AS the liberalization of society began to change many of these issues, the conservatives in society were always there fighting against liberalization , but were fighting a losing battle, in some respects. Oh, they always controlled most of the money and one knew that they were always there pushing their ideas about how wrong it was to go against the right wing establishment and its rules. it became wearying to go against the constant conservatism and many just gave up ,started families and jobs to support those families. Alas--the "pendulum "of history has and is swinging back toward conservatism as shown by the recent election of fascists, know it alls----- those that want to tell citizens what we can read, what we can say, how they can control the bodies of women, the everlasting attempts to get rid of programs that help the less fortunate among us like social security, medicare , etc. To loosen regulations on big businesses, cut taxes on the richest---in other words--the same old conservative principles that would further erode any liberalization gained over the past decades of blood, sweat and tears of all those that cared about an equatable society.

Including of course--the hippies--the flower children that helped bring so many changes to our society through actions, writing and living. Can the hippies help heal this broken society once more? Who are they? Where are they? Will there / can there there be another massive movement by the young ones of today to match the one we went through and helped along --the wonderful days of burgeoning freedoms that are now more than ever being threatened by changing our ( and the young ones ) lives for the worse???

One thing I know--if these right wing fascists and fools get elected again--there will be hell to pay for our democratic system!! Oh, they'll still have most of the money and enclaves to keep them from feeling the effects of the climate change that they are simultaneously causing and denying? What say you-all??

granite45 likes this.
  13. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

As the culture gets worse the counterculture grows. Any counterculture will include hippies, but there will be others who take a different form.

Right now we're waiting to see what happens with Trump, hoping he'll either go to jail, flee the country or at least be made ineligible to hold a federal office ever again. If he gets off all his charges scott free and his re-election campaign picks up steam then you will see the counterculture rise again.

14. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

To answer the thread.............no(timeline/society/history/ect).............it is a idear/feeling.

But trying to get a similiar thing/feeling.............:D

Mzzls

Sunflower Sky likes this.