Do you support child labor exploitation? Then buy Apple products

Discussion in 'Boycott' started by Voice of Truth, Feb 16, 2012.

1. odonII

odonII O

Kaliayev
    Foxconn:
    Revenue US$ 102.74 billion (2011)
    Net income US$ 2.64 billion (2011)
    Employees Approximately 1.2 million

I think Foxconn doesn't really need Apple to pay them more.
    Also their client list is longer than just Apple.

I watched 'Deconstructing Foxconn' the other day.
    One of the young girls who attempted suicide was working slowly so was 'scolded' by her line manager.
    Another day she was running around a couple of factories trying to get her salary card.
    Because it took so long she decided to throw herself off a building.
    Six months later Foxconn gave her $27,000.
    Would you throw yourself off a building over a small pay dispute?

The site where she worked is absolutely massive.
    It's like a small town.
    I think it employs 300,000 people.
    If you employ that many people - guess what, the general occurrences that happen in society are going to occur - including suicide attempts.
    I've read another person threw themselves off a building due to a broken heart.
    I don't know the circumstances of every person who committed suicide.
    Perhap working a monotonous Foxconn job for 12 hours a day drives EVERYBODY a little nuts, and they hurl themselves off a building.
    Personally, I'd leave the company first or ask for some help.

It seems since 2010 the company has been a little reluctant to pay all of their staff the full bonus' and pension contributions - which is against Chinese Labour laws.
    The same issues that probably beset many companies all over the world.
    When was the last time you heard of somebody from - say - the UK hurling themselves off a building due to a pay dispute?

No offense to the young lady, but I think you have to look at the mentality of a lot of Chinese people.
    Apparently, they have an extremely high suicide rate.
    Ironically, the Foxconn suicide rate is lower than the rest of China and the majority of the US.

The factory that has had the suicide blip (over nearly two years) probably has a hierarchy (migrant workers probably ranking at the bottom) and office politics that rival the White House.
    Are some of the workers exploited?
    Well, if you had over 3000 eager young adults fighting to work at your company and a fairly high turnover of staff - wouldn't you snap up as many people as possible?

Also, the pay rates in China are increasing.
    Ever wonder why some foreign companies are keen to bring jobs home?

2. Mayor Salt

Mayor Salt Member

A lack of other options for survival is a form of coercion and therefore exploitation.