Do you own a gun?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by kwal30, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thered

thered Member

My family didn't used to own any, and my mom's pretty against having them in the house, but we recently inherited some of my grandfather's big hunting rifles and a couple of handguns.

I LOVE to shoot, but I'm almost entirely against hunting and entirely for gun control. If the US followed something like the model of the UK with very strict controls (as mentioned by the above poster) or a handgun ban, I'd support it and I'd be happy to give them up.

2. evsride

evsride are you irie?

I know I probably shouldnt delve into this but gun control is a slippery slope. The UK has more violent crime since their gun ban such as rapes the like going unchecked.
    I know that there are plenty of more or less peaceful places in the US where the fear exists in criminals that their next victim may be an armed citizen so they look for easier pickens. I refuse to be a victim, and hope to avert that by continuing to be and promoting responsible gun ownership. Guns are a part of our heritage and the 2nd Amendment isnt just there for hunters. It is a check on tyranny because if guns are outlawed only outlaws (or oppressors) will have guns. I sleep a little better at night knowing that I have brothers in arms ready to stand up against challenges to our rights from enemies whether they be foreign or domestic. Like anything else there will always be people who dont have the mental capacity to responsibly own firearms but think of accidents with them as being a part of natural selection ;) just kidding...sort of

3. SILVERWOLF_87

SILVERWOLF_87 Member

I have an old antique shotgun (still works too!), and I'll probably get around to buying a nice rifle one of these days. I'll be living out in the woods in a few years, so it'll be good to have some sort of protection against any potential aggressive cougars or even people if worse comes to worse... But I hope that never happens. Ever.

4. tricknologist

tricknologist menace to sobriety

I own several, two people that I went to school with died after being executed during an armed robbery. I have driven off two car-jackers at gun point, so, I have a rather fixed opinion on having the means to defend myself.

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

SKS, 12 guage, .270, 30-06, and a .45

6. L.A.Matthews

L.A.Matthews Senior Member

Double post.

x

7. L.A.Matthews

You obviously know nothing...The UK has FAR less homocides, rapes and the like compared to the US...You're INCREDIBLY wrong...

Anyway, I don't have a gun, but I wouldn't mind a revolver.

8. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Yes the US has many more murders and rapes then the UK, but the fact remains most crime rates in Britain have gone up since the near total ban on guns came into effect.

9. L.A.Matthews

Maybe, but that has nothing to do with the gun ban. The fact that America has more school shootings than the UK is clear evidence of the consequences of allowing guns. The UK banned handguns in 1996 since "Thomas Hamilton walked into the gym at Dunblane primary school and killed 16 young children and their teacher. He also injured 13 other children and three teachers. Hamilton, a former scout master, then shot himself." - Reference here..

You can't honestly say that having guns makes for a safer country.

10. LetLovinTakeHold

Yes I would. If the U.S. tried to ban guns, there would be riots. Riots involving people with guns, not willing to give them up. Here where I live....banning guns would only provoke more hatred against the authority, more than there is now which isn't a small amount. I myself would shoot anyone coming onto my property trying to force me to give my guns away. It is one of the only rights that we have left, I'll be dammed if someone takes that away from me.

11. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

I find it interesting that you'll fight so hard to be allowed to have guns when your government is slowly chipping away at every OTHER right that you have... Guns are not the be all and end all.
    I'd much rather know that my phone is not tapped and that I won't be arrested for speaking out against something I disagree with than be able to have a gun in my house...

I suppose it's just a question of priorities.

12. L.A.Matthews

That's the exact reason why I love living in Britain...In my opinion, America is such a conservative and "out-of-date" country when it comes to ethics and opinions.

13. ElChivato

ElChivato SeNioR MeMBeR

no, i don't own a gun. handguns are only useful for killing another person, so they are totally pointless unless you're some sort of mobster and everyone is after you. hunting guns are okay. if i ever own a gun it would only be for hunting. but i don't hunt and i have no problem with it. i think it's way more humane than raising animals just for the purpose of slautering them. i feel a lot better eating an animal my uncle killed than something that came from the store.

14. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

They tapped phones for years without telling anyone, and when it did finally come out alot of ship hit the fan, and honestly, you'd have more chance of being arrested for speaking out in many European countries because of ridiculous poltical correctness laws, I remember a year or 2 ago a Swedish priest was sentenced to a year in prison, despite the general view people have, the fact is here the fringes of society can go out and parade all they want, from flag waving communists to flag waving neo-nazis. To many people the second amendment is the one that props up the other ones. A well armed and crazy gun loving population should be the biggest fear to any government.

And talking about priorties, what about in Britain, the police have more general powers then they do here in the states, there are cameras everywhere in Britain, ID cars, and the concept of parliamentary sovereignty, people there need some priorties too.

And as for guns, when it comes to making a country safer I don't think it has to do with gun laws much at all but the general culture in the country, everyone always point to the high murder rate in the US as a reason why there should be gun bans, but no one ever talks about other countries where there are alot of guns and few murders, Canada, Switzerland, Finland to name a few.

15. tramp

tramp Member

yup,,,lots of guns,lots of ammo,,lots of everything...just in case

16. LetLovinTakeHold

This thread wasn't about any other right, it was about guns. So thats what I talked about.

17. thespeez

thespeez Member

WRONG! The reson for many of the school shootings is that (a) certain student/s get fed up with being taunted by peers and because staff and administration decide to do nothing to solve the problem, the young person/people in question decide to take matters into their own hands!

The problem is NOT the gun but society and how we deal with problems. We glorify many student who posses abilities in areas such as sports and fail to recognize other talents and look out for the little guy. Nowhere else was this more evident than with the shootings at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado! Read Brooks Brown's book "No Easy Answers" and you'll now what I'm talking about!

WRONG AGAIN! Maybe if someone had been armed in that building then Hamilton could've been stopped before he killed others! Back in 1989, Patrick Purdy opened fire on a number of young schoolkids sending some to their deaths. What the press doesn't emphasize is that this monster had a rap sheet which included several felonies, but because some pacifist judge(s) didn't have the sense to impose a heavy sentence for his crimes, he was let out on the street to do more malice. Many times because a thug is a regular contributor so some lawyer's earnings, a deal will be made to give a guy a lighter sentence than what he should receive!

In the Luby's Cafeteria shooting in Austin Texas over half a decade ago, One woman who lost her parents in that massacre would've had her .38 airweight in her truck and would've had that gun on her person had Texas had the right to carry in those days. This woman has become a strong advocate for the right to keep and bear arms as a result! She was active with the group Second Amendment Sisters at one time.

Always remember this: When you ban guns, drugs, alcohol, gambling, prostitution, alternative sexual conduct, (I'll argue) abortion or any activity or item which you deem illicit; all you do is send that activity underground!

18. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

Your sig of the man-woman fucking the metal shark in the sea is kinda creeping me out, dude... seriously...

19. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i'm a hunter, so i own guns AND bow equipment. i'm also a mom on my own much of the time with two small children. i've rarely lived in good neighborhoods and have had my home broken into times in my life, twice while i was in it. not okay with me.

20. L.A.Matthews

Thespeez...I'm sorry, but your defense of guns are extremely flawed. The UK hasn't had guns for sometime now, and the number of school shootings is severly minimal. It's minimal due to the fact that guns are extremely hard (although it's getting easier) to access, thus making the number of school shootings far less.

As for your comment on Patrick Purdy, if he didn't have a gun in the first place, due to a nationwide ban on guns, the actual shooting could've been prevented.

Of course banning things, and making them illegal send them underground, but there has to be boundaries to keep these things to a minimum, otherwise the state would turn to complete anarchy.

Dirk_Pitt, thanks for that info, although I was talking about how the rise of violent crimes is by no means a result from the gun ban.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.