Do you identify strongly as masculine or feminine? (attempt no. 2!)

Discussion in 'Bi Sex Discussions' started by SelfControl, Apr 11, 2008.

1. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Just wondering about this. I'm kinda intrigued that the Women's Issues and Men's Issues forums seem to have their pet issues (rape/abortion and BOO FEMINISM, respectively), and ours are mostly about what we do with our cocks.

I'm wondering if we actually have these kinds of issues in common, or if gays really do have completely different experience from one another and there's no demographic at all. This came up as a result of reading (somewhat under duress) some stuff on queer music theory for my dissertation; I'm still really not sure about the term "queer", for that reason really - that I don't see all homosexuals and other sexual "deviants" as sharing the same experience or having the same outlook as a result.

So yeah: opinionz plz.

2. *Andy*

*Andy* Senior Member

So by masculine you mean male? Well I'm a dude and identify as a dude. I'm not totally sure what you're asking :S

3. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Well no, masculine and male don't mean the same thing. Masculinity and femininity refer to personality, psychology etc., rather than whatever gubbins you happen to have hanging around downstairs.

4. evaninheaven

evaninheaven Member

hey im evan and i love gay polls call me 706 587 0016

5. Joey*

Joey* Freaky Supportr Dude

I mostly see myself as feminine but alot of times I'm really masculine or at least on the outside.
    I have'nt found the right partner to really let the feminine side shine.
    I've always retained alot of my masculine qualities,and still identify with some alot.
    I really identify with the best of both genders.
    Not the insensitivity or drama that are often stereotyped with males and females.
    I try to get beyond all that stuff,and just be myself without the BS.

Btw I don't believe in stereotyping at all it just seemed easier to explain it that way.
    [​IMG] J

DaveTheBiGuy likes this.
  6. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

'Snot really about stereotyping, "masculine" and "feminine" describe certain, usually oppositional characteristics. We've related them to "male" and "female" in the past, but we don't have to do so now. It's just easier than renaming them to something that we don't relate to.

Kinda intrigued by your answer though.

7. Shale

Shale ~

I am male and identify strongly masculine. Don't like sports and am not loud, boisterous and aggressive, but still masculine. I prefer masculine men (tho young) to make love with.

http://www.hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300947

I think there is no reason to emolate women just 'cause I like to suck cock and lick guys assholes and armpits and nipples and balls. What I do with a guy has nothing to do with my own masculine identity.

A lot of us guys are just guys who like other guys. Other than that we are the same as guys who like girls.

As Camille Paglia pointed out, "Gay men and straight men have much more in common than do gay men with lesbians or straight men with straight women..."

8. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

I like Camille Paglia. She said bad things about Madonna :) But yeah, I'd definitely agree with that, and part of my reason for starting this thread is that, through my studies, I've seen the word "queer" used by LGBT organisations as a blanket for all "deviant" sexuality. It made me wonder how much "queers" really have in common with each other, because as Cammie says, I don't have much in common with lesbians in terms of shared experience, or bisexuals or trannies. If I had to choose an identity, I'm a guy before I'm a gay, you know?

So yeah, I was wondering if it was just me really.

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, its different when the sex drives of guys dies down, after 25 or so.

The gay guys made by guys tend to get on more and think more like straight guys, always seem to get that slightly less girly with age, not by much mind you, but enough to notice over a decade

The gay guys made by girls tend to get on more and think more like straight women, that addiction to the daughter looks / mum looks in all girls doesnt go away just cos you can control yourself better around hot guys

10. yarapario

yarapario Village Elder

I'm male and never even gave a thought to masculine/feminine issues as I was growing up. I was isolated in a rural community and the word gay didn't exist. I knew I was into guys but for years I had no idea what that really meant. I became sexually active pretty young because older cousins taught younger boys lots of things. I knew there were a lot of good times to be had in barn lofts and swimming holes. I just grew up as any goofy-ass farmboy. Played some sports cause there wasn't anything else to do, not because I liked them. Hunted and fished because I did like that and loved to mess around with old cars. I was and still am just happy as hell to look down and find old Richard and the twins.

I've often wondered if I might have turned out different if I'd been in a different area or time where there was more consciousness about being Gay. I don't think I would identify any different but it might have been good to know other gay guys just as a point of reference

11. Joey*

Joey* Freaky Supportr Dude

Hi SelfControl,
    I really wanted to answer the poll but could'nt because I simply identify with both genders.
    I do think it's an intresting poll though.Intresting to hear peoples answers.
    Thanks for posting.
    J :)

12. Osedax

Osedax Member

Gender is a silly idea and ought to be done away with. My habits are masculine, but it's nothing more than habit. Onwards towards noncorporeal intellect!

13. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Well if you identify with both, you don't identify with one or the other, if that makes sense. Not to take this out on you, but I really did spend quite a while trying to phrase the question such that it covered all bases, because I knew, based on a thread a while back (about how LGBT should be extended to include "questioning", "omnisexual", "intersexual" and god knows what else) that someone would find some way not to fit into the categories. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered now. :D

14. mushie18

mushie18 Intergalactic

I identify as a male. With that being said, I believe my personality is a combination of stereotyped masculine and feminine traits.

I have difficulty agreeing with the definitions that society places on gender roles/attributes. Gender "traits" are fluid.

fredbis and DaveTheBiGuy like this.
  15. SelfControl

SelfControl Boned.

Well, they're fluid, but they're on a spectrum, male-to-female.

16. BlondeAngela

BlondeAngela Banned

I am a beautiful and feminine fully feminized pre-op transexual woman, (I'm on estrogen and anti-androgens, I have had facial feminization surgery, breast implants), and I live and dress as a woman, can easily pass as a woman and a beautiful feminine one at that.
    I live with a handsome masculine man (who considers himself a hetrosexual male), as his wife, so I was a femme gay male but I've been made into a beautiful female. So I am a lady, and I am feminine.

17. LJDV

LJDV Member

I am a male, and have some feminine tendencies, and mannerisms. I don't want to be a woman though, I enjoy my penis. Haha. But really, I feel like sometimes, I have a woman's soul. However, I enjoy having a woman's soul in a man's body. I feel like it gives me insights that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Lauren5158, fredbis and DaveTheBiGuy like this.
  18. Gregggles

Gregggles Member

i know this was like...3 months ago now, but i just realised it was here XD

i agree whole-heartedly with LJDV on this one. i feel the same.

im male and i do have feminine tendencies, not helped by the fact that my looks are naturally a little adrogynous, but i would not want to change this.

i like the way i dont look or act extremely straight, and i agree with LJDV in the fact the a)i love my penis too much to become a woman :) and b) it really does give a good insight that a lot of people might not have.

[EDIT]

I also like LJDV for his sig:) good song.

~G
    xXxXx

Lauren5158 likes this.
  19. jnorton47

jnorton47 Cosmic Traveler

Male, with effeminate qualities. I ware toerings, sometime paint my toenail and ware sandals in public. I ware braclets, anklet, and other jewlery. However, I ware masculine clothing. The sandals are mens. I do own a pair of girls flip flop, but they are not overtly feminine. Basically I am comfortable in my skin. I like me. I like other that are like me. <(^o^)>
    [​IMG]

20. Electric boy

Electric boy Member

i am kinda the same as Gregggles - i mean dress sence hippy dude i.e. cloure full like to be the party animal.