Do you have a television?

Discussion in 'TV' started by bird_migration, May 9, 2004.

1. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

i have 5 tvs for just me and my mom and i love tv and movies!!! whats so bad about tv?

2. keowyn

keowyn Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I noticed several years ago that TV was bad for me. Sit there for hours at a time being totally unproductive, not even learning anything most of the time. I noticed that entire clips of time would pass we me just reactingto the stimulus being pumped into my mind. No original thoughts, just reactions. And the entire experience is geared toward affecting the way you think. Commercials are obvious, heck they are a science that people go to college to learn. But sit-com, evening news, talk shows, soaps, all set examples that the human mind interprets as ordinary. Warps your perception of the world arround you and sets a seriously messed up example of human interaction.

Or maybe I'm just another crazy. No, I don't have a Television.

3. ericf

ericf Member

I think we have several in my house. But thanks to my tireless efforts, I convinced my mom to stop getting cable. We never watched it and it was costing us like $70 a month. So, they mostly sit around gathering dust unless we watch a movie.

4. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

2... one my brother watches upstairs in his room all the time and one downstairs for my kids to watch "boohbah" and "teletubbies" with because they love those shows.

5. MexicanFlowerChild

MexicanFlowerChild Member

my mom has one in her room and my sister's have one in their room...oh and theres one in the living room also...i dont have a tv because i dont llike watching it...i think its a waste of time...but that's just me...and i dont like playing video games...i rather go play soccer or sk8 outside...

6. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

i wish i didn't have any tv at all. i'm not a fan of it at all. i believe it is a true waste where i know i should be doing something else instead of watching endless hours of basic crap. i only used it for dvd watching and that's kinda rare. although my internet i couldn't live without, i can read some interesting and unique things compare to the boobtube.

7. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

we have a tv but we don't have cable or an antenna hooked up. i'm raisin a 14 and 11 year old and i noticed a change since i dropped the cable about 8 months ago. now they are more creative, we play board games, read books together, make music, talk, and act goofy...now i just gotta loose the pc:)

nice post keowyn...funny running into a post from you again.

8. logicalway

logicalway Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Currently there are 11 televisions in my house. 7 are plugged in and 4 are on the workbench. I live with 3 other folks, so each person has 1 in there area, and there is 1 each in the living room, the basement & the computer room.

The reason that I have so many is that anytime I'm driving around and see one on the curb I toss it in the back of the truck. Most of the time people just throw them away because they purchased a "new & improved" one. I can't stand to see something that still works filling a landfill, so I'll try to fix them if they're dead and give them away to friends or family if I get them going again. If not, my town has an electronics disposal once a year, and my work is located near an Intel building that does the same.

And, no, I don't watch all of the TV's...I just figured having them around or recycling them is better then dumping their innards into the trash heap like so many of my neighbors seem to think is OK.

9. CelticMuse

CelticMuse Member

We have 5. One in our bedroom, my sons room, the living room, and 2 small portable tvs that my husband plugs in just in case there is more than 1 ballgame on.(he's a die hard sports fan) I usually will watch a movieor two, though I have to admit I watch Cold Case and 24.

10. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

we have a telveision yes. but it is never on except early in the morning if arianna is in a bad mood, i put on a care bear movie or right before she goes to sleep we might watch something. but that is even rare as there is too much stuff to do

11. dreama

dreama Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I own two and my daughter and her boyfriend have two between them. When they move out next month, they will take them with them. I don't watch a ton of tv, but enjoy relaxing in front of it and usually watch movies, not network television, and rarely the news, never sports.

One is in my living room and the other is in my bedroom.

12. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I didn't have a tv for a couple of years and that was by choice, not circumstance. The one I had I never watched and it only got used by the room-mates I had and it just got on my nerves to hear it all the time. And I felt that watching tv was a huge waste of time. So, when the tv was hit by lightning I got rid of it and didn't get another. But then when it was time to get a new pc, the one I liked had tv capabilities, so I have that now. And I watch it sometimes. But, I'm very picky about it. I only watch educational shows for the most part, but I have a weakness for That 70s Show. :eek: I love channels like Discovery, PBS, History channel, National Geographic, etc. And I refuse to watch commercials. My pc records shows so I record them then watch them later and fast forward through the commercials. People think I'm nuts when I tell them that. But the way I see it, why waste your time watching ads?

13. PAPOOSES

PAPOOSES Member

No TV in our house.... Our dining room is the music room - um about a dozen different instruments I think - & our living room is the art room - walls covered in Leila's & my creations {LOL} Between all that & our big backyard we have no use for a "boob tube" as my Granny calls it =P

14. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I would agree that tv is not the best thing in the world but it is much better than working.

15. Lani

Lani Member

as i wholeheartedly agree it kills time and imagination, TV has its advantages, I mean you get to see so many different worlds and universes, people and in general stuff you wouldnt normally see in your normal enviroment (excpet in books, but sometimes they dont display motion)..also movies are an art form, doscovery channels are educational, news as corrupt as they might be still show whats happening in the world..I would say that too much TV is BAD very very bad, yet it does give you several advantages...i should also mention im a computer moron..so Im robbed of the cyber experience (as many here use it as somewhat of a substitute)..

16. SharyBobbins

SharyBobbins QPR Football Fan

I like TV. It has taught me so much like not to travel to Atlanta without pepperspray and a bullet proof car.

17. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I watch the History Channel a lot. Then I look smarter than everyone around me whenever they start talking about something historical. I'm going to be a history teacher, then it will be even more of and ego booster!

I have a little crush on Peter Jennings, so I watch World News Tonight.

Don't forget the staples: The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Adult Swim :)

18. SharyBobbins

SharyBobbins QPR Football Fan

Yes Adult Swim is awesome spread the word!

19. han_tigger

han_tigger Member

Quite unusual not 2 hav a TV these days, tho one of my friends manages 2 do without, i'm sure it must b so much better!

Hannah.

20. moonbeam7

moonbeam7 Member

Yup, I got a TV Bird. I don't someone who doesn't!:D