Do You Have A Favorite Ornamental Plant Or Flower?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Aerianne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Chrysanthemum

CHR-623z.jpg "Named from the Greek prefix "chrys-" meaning golden (its original color) and "-anthemion," meaning flower, years of artful cultivation have produced a full range of colors, from white to purple to red. Daisy-like with a typically yellowcenter and a decorative pompon, chrysanthemums symbolize optimism and joy."

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We have always been privy to the Lotus. We've never had one, I'm sure I have but I can't even remember seeing one. If I had I don't think anybody pointed that out for me to appreciate. But it's not just the flower that I like, it's a whole mythological thing I have with it in which in the big scheme of things, only a hanful of people on this world are really going to understand.

When I pull my finger out one day and get my pond going I'll attempt to have them, but I'm not sure about my climate. I have a feeling they probably won't like being in frozen for months of the year.

Still, to my complete ignorance really about it, it remains my spirit plant. :)

[​IMG]

tumbling.dice and Aerianne like this.
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

They can be brought inside for the winter...

Irminsul likes this.
  4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

as much as my allergies and fear of bears hates them....i kind of like the short 2 or 3 days when the crabapple trees flower

usually happens on mothers day early/mid may...this year was over a week late

5. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

We had 3 crab apple trees that my former husband planted. I didn't really care much for the look of that tree.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

7. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Ah is that gardenia? not certain..Gardenia is one of the best scents!!

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

its my crabapple tree a few years ago

i have no idea what variety but bears and ignorant trespassers seem to love them

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's a good idea. I have an area for my pond that I'm thinking of using, it's not very big, but it's in a vacant sort of area and ever since before I bought the place that's what I envisioned doing.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

11. Sunflowers are my favorite.

I don't grow them here, but my mom grows them.
    Last year they were lovely - so imperfect, of different sizes and length.
    They looked so wild and beautiful.
    I didn't pick them, I let them be.

Deidre likes this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've got a growing houseplant collection of both carniverous plants and succulents, they're pretty fun. My succulents dont really thrive though, I dont know if the air is too humid here for them or if my black thumb is just killing them

13. I've killed every succulent I've over owned.
    No more.

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

They're supposed to be easy but i've found the opposite to be true

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I really love sunflowers, dahlias, peonies, succulents. And carnivorous plants are pretty dope.

I am a flower person--I love the colors, the smells, just aesthetic. I was looking at my instagram the other day, and noticed that every year around spring time my posts become very flower-centric. Like 90% flower posts. Oops.

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Dahlias remind me of little lion's manes.

[​IMG]

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

You can pick them all Ty.

DiagonalZone likes this.
  18. TominMontana

TominMontana Members

Some lotus growers leave their plants in the pond (some sink the pots to the bottom as winter gets close while others move the pot down to where it is covered by at least 5 or 6 inches of water). I know that there are hardy and tropical water lily's, but I'm not that up on lotus types. Easy to check out though on line. Enjoy.

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Galdiolas! :)
    [​IMG]

Sunflowers
    [​IMG]

And I absolutely love the smell of eucalyptus
    [​IMG]

20. TominMontana

TominMontana Members

I've come to really like Begonia's - the 'Rex' variation in particular. Like most others who enjoy these plants, it's not for the flower - it's the foliage that delights. I also spend a bit of time with the family 'gesneriad' - the most well known member being the African Violet. Have recently dabbled in the carnivorous plant world. Very interesting indeed.
    IMG_0869.jpg IMG_1149 copy.jpg IMG_0869.jpg