Do you hate people who wear leather jackets?

Discussion in 'Clothes' started by GreenGardener555, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

I have several leather coats and jackets. I love them, they are warm and protective as well when riding motorbikes. I have a set of leather chaps too that I wore when I was riding. They save your skin should you drop your bike.
    Leather is said to act like several layers of your own skin when you do some unexpected off roading during a bike trip.
    Now let's all hate on those wearing leather shoes, wearing a belt to hold up their jeans, carrying a leather purse and having a car with leather seating. If anyone comes to me to bitch about my leather jacket I will be sure to stand there and ask if they have any items of leather in their possession. Bet they have a nice big fat leather chair in their living room, I do, hahaha. My massage chair is leather, and wood, imagine that, they killed a cow and a tree and then stuck a great big vibrator, or actually several vibrators in it just for me to have a ride every day, hahaha
    Bet lots of those who are against leather coats have sat in a leather chair in the waiting room of their doctor's office and have been examines by him on a leather covered examining table. Bet they have sat in fancy restaurants eating cow on nice leather chairs or leaned on a bar that had leather edgings to save the elbows being bruised and scraped on wood while sucking back a cold one.
    Really, leather is everywhere. It's protective, comforting and looks nice and it can't be avoided. My office chair is even leather and it's very comfortable. And it has wood as well, oh man, another tree dead.

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hmm.. My massage table is PU, not leather. Leather is hard to disinfect between clients/patients and has long been out of favor in clean environments like exam rooms.
    Porosity is bad with bacteria, viruses and fungi.
    I've not been in a medical office with leather aside from waiting rooms.

Asmodean, the typical argument is that by products still add money value to killing.
    This is coming from a perspective that we as humans do not inherently have the right to use animals.

My crossroads of decision is always the after use life of a fiber. Natural fibers biodegrade.
    But some, wool, silk, skins and fur, do biodegrade, unlike technical fibers and petrol based polyesters.

I've said this before but I'm not 100 percent on the animal rights bus. I am on a conservationist and animal welfare bus, however.
    For me, the planet comes first, always. Beings upon it second (including humans).
    So, I have a few, very few leather items, all from scrap or second hand. One was a gift. So I am forced to take good care of these items to keep them usable.

I also have shoes, belts, coats, backpacks from petrol. I buy very consciously and aim for lifespans of more than 10 years.
    In four years, my favorite pair of sandals will be 20 years old! Wow. So will my parka. I just realized that. I got them in the same season.
    My fall jacket is a year older. It needs reclining, and I might overdye it. Or I might learn to love charcoal.

My winter boots gave out recently at 11 years. I saved up to replace with higher durability.
    No leather than I can discern for sure, but I suspect one reinforcement area could be. The tag was cut out (resale).

3. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

But if people stop wearing leather that won't stop others from eating beef, and neither with that work the other way around. I bet a lot who don't like people wearing leather will eat beef. I know vegetarians who won't eat beef but will wear leather, especially tho who ride bikes and need to wear it.
    To be real about it you have to stop all actions of any animal use in any way. A friend of mine once said she hated people who wore rabbit fur coats, funny thing is she had leather shoes on when she tried to throw her story at me how she slammed some woman down town for her fur coat. I just laughed, still makes me laugh, she also ate meat of many kinds and I threw that at her. Boy was she confused. Now. I think I should have let that one lie quietly and let her figure it out many years later and see what a fool she was. Most animals are killed for many reasons serving us for something and we raise them for that reason.
    Check out those in the far north where it is cold as can be, nothing goes to waste when they kill an animal, they eat it, they drink it, they wear it and they can survive temps we couldn't imagine and word is they are healthier then we are.

4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

No, I don't hate people for wearing them. They are not for me, though.
    I do not like to wear leather jackets.

5. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I've only had a leather jacket once in my life (a friend gave it to me). I remember it did a nice job of keeping me warm. However, I would never actually buy one - the reality is I could never afford to do so.

QP

6. drumminmama

I agree with your premise.
    However leather is, in the industrialized world, a sideline of meat packing. They own the animal last. So leather purchases directly benefit slaughterhouses financially as they sell what they would have as waste products.

Tanning leather has environmental impacts, especially for water pollution.

I'm all for complete use, but I'm also for reduction of killing.

I understand why grazing animals were domesticated. They eat grass, we ate them. We survived.
    Today, it is possible to survive and thrive without flesh. It's a very viable option.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumminmama

Oh, Sally, this joke is for you.

Why do animal rights activists pick on ladies in fur?
    Because leather clad bikers would beat them up.

4 people like this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There's no need to live without eating meat (and I don't want to). We just don't need it every day and in such large quantities like a lot of us see as normal. If meat consumption would be limited there's also less need for such intensive farming.

9. HotPink816

HotPink816 Members

If they wear it tastefully then not at all. :)

And what if you're wearing a leather jacket that's actually "synthetic/man-made"? You're absolutely right, sometimes people tend to become overly dramatic, and react negatively first without really knowing. If you feel like wearing one, go ahead.

1 person likes this.
  10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

As a forest fire fighter, I need fire-proof leather boots to do my job.

I also have a leather jacket, leather belt, leather dress shoes, leather car seats, sheepskin blankets, lamb skin condoms, and all that.

When I was 15, I won a contest prize of $250 and the first thing I did was buy the sexiest leather jacket I could find. I still have and wear it to this day 14 years later. The sleeves are a little short but I'm still taking care of it like a prize.

Look, there's assholes online. And I'll admit, I too have said things deliberately for the sake of trolling and to be an asshole to those who have a warped, twisted world view. Yet Some anonymous veganazi says you are worse than Pol Pot and now you wanna get rid of all your leather?

You ain't thinking straight, dude.

11. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

No, I don't have a problem with it. It's people's choice in what they want to wear. I'm a pretty laid back person, wear what makes you feel comfortable.

12. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

They have to do something with the parts left over from cutting steaks and beef in general. This is one of them - might as well use it if you like it

I know I do :)

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No. Seems kinda petty.

1 person likes this.
  14. drawinginblank

drawinginblank Member

I feel that if an animal is going to be killed then I needs to be done humanely and then all the parts need to be used. Including skin. So I am guess I am saying that I am okay with it. I don't hate it unless it was done unethically.

15. AlecStrong

AlecStrong Guest

I feel its cool to wear leather jackets. I find them most attractive.

16. @Kelly

@Kelly Members

I think there are much more people eating meat than those wearing leather clothes, so it doesn't make any sence for me to hate everybody...

17. LaurenSmalls

LaurenSmalls Members

I like cute leather jackets both men and women wearing

18. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Cow hides end up in landfills if they don't get used for other purposes. I see no reason to waste them.

19. HappyHelena

HappyHelena Members

I really don’t hate people who like wearing leather jackets, but sometimes I pore over our meat and leather industry… although everybody knows about the inhuman conditions and cruelty to animals, the leather and meat consumption has increased during the past few years and still does. So I wonder, how this can be and why people don’t use leather imitations or fake fur to a greater extent instead of killing animals for their jackets.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a leather jacket I don't wear much, but I look hot in it, like an alternative cowgirl. ;)