Do you guys think that barefooting will see greater popularity in the future?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by BareyMommy, Apr 22, 2020.

1. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

It really depends on the trail. Some trails are soft dirt and/or mud and some are even grassy. But a lot of stones and roots...eh...not so good.

2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

[​IMG]

Search q = barefoot bike peddles

riverman18 likes this.
  3. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

With the stay at home orders being a thing, definitely think so. I’ve been barefoot almost every day as I’m not working now. I’m wearing long skirts with tank tops ...and going barefoot. I’m tempted to get a nose piercing to complete my look :blush:

4. Reinard

Reinard Members

You’re quite right about the public getting the message - check out the green/red arrow ratio on comments regarding Mason going barefoot in public! Scott Disick takes Mason and Penelope out for dinner after Kourtney Kardashian split | Daily Mail Online
    Scott Disick's son Mason opts to go barefoot instead of wearing matching set of his father's trendy blue moccasins | Daily Mail Online

5. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Are you going out and about that way too or are the barefeet just for at home?

6. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I would go barefoot in parks and such but not into stores etc There are signs up in public buildings to wear shoes. I love shoes too - kind of torn on some days. Lol

BarefootedBoy and Barefoot-boy like this.
  7. bill697cu

bill697cu Members

I enjoy going barefoot when I can. I have not seen too many others barefoot at the park or hiking. The weather sucks where I live and only have about 3 maybe 4 good months of warm weather. The other day it was in the upper 80s and yesterday the upper 50s. I walk in cold or hot weather because my feet are use to it. I have noticed when I go to the southern states more people are barefoot.

8. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

Gee guys, went shopping yesterday for some food and guess what we saw at the supermarket?

A kid and mum barefoot there too! And they weren't homeless or anything, I could tell that they were normal people who happen to be barefooters.

It's nice seeing people out like this occasionally.

RT19 and bill697cu like this.
  9. hippyphile

hippyphile Member

To the point of the question: I have been following various Internet groups on the subject since 1997, an entire generation in time, and I have seen little or no increase in bare footing. The "Golden Age" was from approx. the mid 60s to the mid 80s and it started becoming less common through the 90s when expensive exercise and trail sandals, remember those?, became the norm. Also, malls started cracking down on bare footers c. 1980. I remember, I was one of them! During that period, shirtlessness by men, esp. in grocery stores, was common, indeed almost a norm in some places, so barefoot just went with it. Last fall, I did encounter a fellow barefooter on a local trail, and a few years ago, there would be a very occasional sighting of a barefoot runner. I still see neighbors heading out barefoot to pick up at a drive thru or to take out the trash, etc., but rarely anywhere else. Indeed, the number of younger people wearing sandals seems to be down--no matter how hot, they are wearing athletic shoes. Here in the Midwest, I think part of the problem is weather: we go straight from cold to blistering hot and there is not much of a sweet spot in between. I blame global warming in part.

10. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

So true! I also live in the American Midwest. It was cold and rainy, then suddenly so hot I can't stand on my driveway for long. I'll take the heat over the winter blizzards any day, though.

Barefoot-boy likes this.
  11. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Yeppers...You never have to shovel heat.

12. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

Ha! I also love putting on a pair of shorts and being dressed. No shoes, no shirt, no worries. Winter? Ugh. Heavy socks, long underwear, pants, three shirts and a sweater. Don't even get me started on what it takes to go outside.

RT19 likes this.
  13. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

I think there'll be a few types of shoes one day when barefooting is the norm.

Normal weather and regular outings such as:

- goingto the mall
    - going camping
    - going to the park on a warm day
    - going school
    - Going hiking in the woods
    - Going for a jog

These will be done largely barefoot because...well there's no real point I'm wearing shoes for these unless specific conditions require them.

There'll be a few types of shoes:

- Formal shoes for weddings and stuff
    - Purpose made shoes for working in dangerous places
    - "just in case" shoes for when the ground is scorching or you will be going somewhere terrible. Probably just moccasins or sandals.
    - Winter shoes so you don't get frostbite

There won't need to be sports shoes because running barefoot won't have much of a point. Casual shoes like converse and newhnew balance won't have much of a point either, because most of the time when you were them, it's not for protection, it's just to go shopping.

RT19 likes this.
  14. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

I sure wish this was the norm. Yes...formal, dangerous, hot asphalt/cement, gross conditions, stickers and cold are the only reasons to wear footwear. Also extreme hiking: in the Rocky Mountains I used to traverse scree and talus. Difficult in boots, nuts to try barefoot.

15. RT19

RT19 Members

Wow that is amazing! So far this summer I have seen 1 yes just one other person out in public barefoot.

16. RT19

RT19 Members

I think this is the normal for most if us here! I do think it would be fantastic if this was how it was for everyone though.

17. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I keep repeating the same thing.

Beginning bare footing sucks, every little pebble and ground imperfection is a tragedy.

It should be promoted as a sport where you work on building up your barefoot abilities.

To suggest to people just take off your shoes and right away its going to be the greatest fun ever is bull.

I see too many articles like that.

Tell the truth. In the beginning it feels awkward and again every little pebble and ground imperfection is a tragedy. It takes a little time and practice to regain the natural ability to navigate the word barefoot after a lifetime in shoes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020