Do you guys think that barefooting will see greater popularity in the future?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by BareyMommy, Apr 22, 2020.

1. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

I honestly think that the future could see barefooting seeing a lot more popularity. I think that there are two main arguments standing in the way of barefooting:

- The idea that it is unsafe
    - The idea that it is primitive and trashy

The first argument is really simple to deal with. Barefooting has very few negatives in a world as clean and safe as ours. Our ancestors may have needed shoes to traverse awful landscapes, but we don't have that today. Most of us live in cities with footpaths and lawns. Any injuries related to barefooting happen so infrequently, it's barely worth the effort of putting on shoes just to avoid them. How many times a year do you actually get that badly hurt while barefooting? If anything, it's less frequent. Fewer sprained ankles, fewer long-term effects caused by restrictive and ill-fitting footwear, fewer infections and disease, and the list goes on and on. Some people are also scared of stepping in poo or something other bodily substance or whatever. Being barefoot, people actually watch for their surroundings. As stated earlier, coming in contact with stuff like that is so rare that it is just not worth having shoes. Some of us have accidentally been pooped on by a bird, some of us have touched poo by hand as an accident. But they happen as one off events, certainly not as constant events forcing us to carry umbrellas and wear gloves 24/7. Some people are also worried about general muck and grime, but I think that it's something that many would pass on as an issue once they consider the actual health benefits of barefooting. Having dirty, black soles isn't an issue if you don't have open cuts. It's just...grime.

The second argument is something that many people, particularly those who wish to go barefoot, are concerned about. Barefoot hasn't been an 'it' thing in....ahem centuries. It has always been something associated with those in who are in poverty or are primitive. Despite this, we are seeing an increased renewal in more natural concepts in regards . People are shunning GMOs because they think that they are unsafe. People are becoming a lot more willing to go against what they consider 'civilized' for the sake of their health. This could see a lot more people try barefooting. Maybe we will see a counterculture in the future. Who knows?

Our society was far more prudish 60 years ago, and things are only getting more open. What do you folks think? Will see see a greater number of barefooters in the future?

bill697cu and charlie35 like this.
  2. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

For me, living in the USA it's a rare sight to see anyone barefoot beyond their front door as we are an uptight society here . Thanks to the virus, that should put barefooting in the history books. Just saying...

txbarefooter likes this.
  3. In a word, I just don’t think so. People follow the herd, and the herd is shod (just as the Word is God). With far fewer people on the streets currently, it’s a whole lot easier to roam around barefoot without the traditional idiotic questions. Silence IS golden!

4. charlie35

charlie35 Member

I really, really hope you are right, BareyMommy. Unfortunately I suspect Barefoot-boy and nuspieds are nearer the truth. Especially in our current situation, I suspect that when people are allowed out again any behaviour or activity that can be considered unhygienic or at all risky to health will be deeply frowned upon, leaving us even more susceptible to idiotic comments. In fact barefooting has been an "it" thing within my lifetime, though I was far to young to enjoy it. I of course refer to the Flower Power era of 67-70. It was very common to see young people barefoot then, often with cowbells round their ankles, which I always thought was cool. Sadly those times will never return and it's the one thing that makes me wish I was older so I could have enjoyed them to the full.

That said, I agree the current situation does, for the time being, allow us to barefoot in peace. I went for a long walk round my local country park today in glorious sunshine. I was slightly worried about getting bad reactions, but only got socially distanced smiles and hellos from the few people I saw, so maybe not all is lost. Let's hope!

5. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

For a lot of people it's not what they want. It's also what their conditions allow them. The further up north you go, the colder it'll get, and I just don't see that many people wanting to try winter barefooting. I know from personal experience that it'll get painful quickly and could lead to injury if you're not careful. Most people just don't want that.

6. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

A British man has become the first person to climb the height of Mount Everest from home. Rob Ferguson climbed an extraordinary 6,506 flights of stairs in 24 hours, barefoot.

Intrepid 51-year-old climbs up and down the height of Mount Everest…on his home stairs | Metro News

Why Running Barefoot on Pavement Will Help Prevent Injury

https://fashionista.com/2020/04/kristen-stewart-sneakers-dresses-barefoot-red-carpet

Barefoot stuff is always making the news, its becoming sporty and fashionable slowly.

7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Maybe the virus stay at home led some people to go barefoot long enough to get used to it and not feel like their missing something.

Who knows.

8. BarefootedBoy

BarefootedBoy Members

I'm hopeful that while people have been home during this lockdown, they've taken the opportunity to be barefoot more often. That has been one of the perks of working from home, and one of the reasons I like to do that as often as I can. I cannot remember the last day I had on a closed shoe or a sock--weeks ago for a meeting, I think. The freedom has helped me feel less stressed, more creative, and authentic.

So, I hope you are right, Barey Mommy! I'm gonna do my part!

txbarefooter and charlie35 like this.
  9. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I think it is already going more mainstream.

I just searched "is bare-footing a sport" to see what came up.

Another webpage promoting bare footing Barefoot Training Central - All Things Barefoot and Minimalist Fitness

Thats how I think it could be promoted, as a sport.

Do you have no can go carpet feet or sporty I can go in shape barefooter feet ?

Something like that.

Its like training any other body part for better performance, bench press, lats, curls, abs, legs... What about strong tough feet ?

10. j17435

j17435 Member

Probably fake news bullshit, but Google "covid toes". Could hurt the barefoot cause even if it turns out to be unrelated.

11. Scirocco09

Scirocco09 Members

It would be nice to think so but I doubt it - over the last few years bare feet have become a rare sight in public even around beach towns, at least here in England (but people wear more flip flops and sandals...) I used to see plenty of barefooters (mainly young women) around towns, around neighbourhoods or parks even up to about five years ago but rarely now. People seem to have got really uptight about hygiene or exaggerate the risks of glass etc. I take hygiene seriously too but accept my feet will get dirty, for others the thought of dusty soles are too much. We all know the benefits of bare feet but others just don’t seem to get it, even if they’re into health and well-being. For the most part retailers and other people accept bare feet over here (might get comments or funny looks but not get thrown out) and I think that’s the most we can hope for, but I suspect the coronavirus will make people more suspicious of bare feet.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  12. charlie35

charlie35 Member

^ I'm sad to say I think you've summed it up very neatly there.

13. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

In response to what a lot of people have said, the lockdown has obviously not helped things, but I'm not talking in a scale of years here, I'm talking about decades.
    True but for many people who live in Florida for example, they don't need to wear shoes often.
    Ah that's the thing. People are afraid of the dirtiness among many things. And honestly, there's no denying your feet will get dirty. I believe that a day may come when people overlook how dirty the soles of your feet get when taking into account how much generally *better* it feels to be barefoot, how much less damaging it is in the long run and the fact that you don't have to buy shoes which saves a bit of money if not much.

14. Scirocco09

Scirocco09 Members

The weird thing is some people will pay to walk barefoot trails at National Trust parks which are seen as safe environments but won’t go for free in nature - it’s mud all the same!

I love being barefoot too much to worry about dirty soles and my feet look much nicer since going bare, I’ve often been told I have nice feet. Must be the tanned skin and delightful massages and exfoliation from nature

15. *pixy*

*pixy* Member

Hi, I think this depends much on regional customs and social norms, so you may get different answers depending where someone lives.

My impression is that a lot of people today know about the benefits of barefooting (probably due to many positive press notices and scientific reports), but just don’t dare or get a “kick” to start. I guess more people go barefoot at home today than some years ago, maybe not only for health reason but also as a kind of the increasing “hygge” trend. As I use to attend some festivals during summer (ok, probably not this summer) I made the notice that more people kick of their shoes to dance etc. or even just come barefoot. I also think if artists appear barefoot, this might give an impulse to some in the audience. Today many people wear flipflops in summer, so if they feel like, they can easily kick them off, way more easy than “real” shoes. I guess this has an effect too.

So, I think there is a moderate development in a certain segment of social life, but there is still no big break through.

I’m sure in many countries going barefoot still has a negative reputation and is connected with either being poor or nuts. For example I remember when I was a kid and we did spend summer holidays in Croatia, you saw a lot of the local kids go barefoot and they didn’t look like they were suffering. Today this is a prospering country, so probably no one wants their kids go barefoot to avoid someone might think they can’t afford shoes.

Also, local cultural traditions play a role. While in Berlin (that counts as kind of liberal and crazy) or Munich (that counts as open hearted) you always meet some barefooters, in Hamburg (that counts as formal and stiff) it’s a rare encounter, though actually there is no one who stops you going barefoot there.

16. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

Years ago we were more prudish.
    Today we appear to be more righteous, especially when it comes to things we believe to be true. Facts are an inconvenience.
    I hope society relaxes but watching todays behavior makes me doubt it will happen.

txbarefooter likes this.
  17. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

Nobody would have seen homosexuality as something mainstream and accepted in 1961. Facts will eventually prevail and barefooting will see popularity.

18. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

The reason a lot of people are barefoot in concerts and stuff these days is because they feel far more carefree and less of a need to conform to societal expectations. Once they are out on the streets, the shoes go back on. But what if society didn't mind as much?

And as you said about culture, that's true. I've heard that barefooting in NZ is far more common than in say Virginia. But my thought applies moreso to the world in general, where barefooting could eventually become the default choice for many. Instead of people choosing to go barefoot like today, it will become the opposite. Depending on the weather, people will decide "Should I wear sandals outside today today?". They then make this choice depending on where they are going, what the weather is like, etc.. For those living in Alaska, the answer will often be a "Yes" but for those in California or Florida, the answer will often be a "No".

19. Scirocco09

Scirocco09 Members

I was saying about not getting kicked out...well I got asked to put shoes on in Waitrose today because ‘it’s unsafe to walk around without shoes’ - knowing it was a lost cause I couldn’t be bothered to argue and handed the lady my basket. Urrggghh, I’ve never not been allowed to buy food before because of my feet

20. BareyMommy

BareyMommy Members

That sounds annoying. Oh well, it's their loss, not yours really.