Do you guys hate trucks?

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by 908_Pat, Feb 4, 2012.

1. indydude

indydude Senior Member

A truck is a good thing to have if your looking for a job. I got hired fora construction job over a guy with more experience but I had a truck to carry materials. Also you can hire out your truck to deliver big things and help people move. It is wasteful to drive a truck just to commute everywhere if you don't use it for hauling things.
    A truck as an extension of the penis is stupid and outdated Freudian crap.lol

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you are a hippy, do you really care what other people think?

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

of the four vehicles I currently own ..3 are 4x4 (2 are sport utes one is a 3/4 ton pickup)...the 4th one is a two wheel drive one ton dually motorhome with a gas gulping 400 ci 4 barrel carb

vroom vroom eat my dust :driving:

I like trucks...but when i dont need them to haul something I use an suv :d

4. 56olddog

56olddog Member

Nope. I don't hate trucks. I drive a 4X4 with a gas guzzling big block everyday. :D

5. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Internal combustion is a curse of our time...

6. Bilby

Do you think things were better when urban roads were littered with horse poo and all the accompanying diseases?

I usually go shopping with cart that looks a bit like a golf cart.

7. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Horse poo...lol

8. Bilby

There are many examples of technology bring used for noble or ignoble purposes.

9. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

flint-knapping was a technology...
    whats your point?

10. RyJa

RyJa Member

Trucks I can understand, SUV's make absolutely no sense to me.

If you actually need a truck then there is nothing wrong. Contractors etc. a truck comes in handy.

My neighbour use to work as a roofer and needed a truck. He works elsewhere now and the truck sits in his driveway 99% of the time now and he now drives a smaller car.

11. stoner oxy80

stoner oxy80 *"Senior~Stoned~Member"*

love trucks wish i could afford one of those new ones, ma old camaro, and ma eco ferindy subrau justy ill have to do fer now.

12. MellowViper

MellowViper Member

E85 is a BS solution. There's hardly any stations, except a few here and there for pr purposes. Even if it was implemented on a larger scale, its all just a scheme to subsidize corn farmers. I read somewhere that there isn't enough land to grow corn to power the whole US car fleet, which means its a dead end and another false solution corporations and government sprung on the public to make them think they're doing something about energy independence.

It isn't even a solution for getting completely off of fossil fuels, as 15% would still be petroleum. If they can keep us on any amount of oil dependency, they're going to keep inflating the price. If everyone started driving cars that got 300mpg, they'd probably just inflate the price 10 fold or more.

I think methanol or methane processed from human waste would be a more viable alternative. Eat the corn as food first, then poop it out and reuse it as fuel.

...but no, I don't look down on you or trucks, just the concept of E85. I have a standard transmission chevy.

13. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

i drive a double wide hummer that runs on old growth trees and endangered animals. i get like 5 sea turtles per mile

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

try driving a little shit box toyota with 13 inch wheels on a road that only gets plowed the day after the storm stops

15. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

well, you better keep it. I think hummer went out of business.

16. angel_karma_chic

angel_karma_chic Guest

My father in law (though not on paper) just got rid of a Dodge Ram from 1985. I actually cried to see it go. I LOVED that truck. I miss that truck. I want that truck back. It was beauty and perfection!!! Seeing as I am a girl it's important to say it was blue and like a wee piece of paradise on wheels!:(

17. RyJa

RyJa Member

I think that's fair. I lived in northern Ontario for a few months (which happened to be winter) and my brothers friend had a GMC Sierra, which at the time I loved.

I had to head to the next town during a snow storm, and since he was heading there he drove me in his truck. Highway 11 was completely covered and you could hardly see anything in front of you.
    At best cars were going at a snails pace with many getting stuck, trucks were able to go through at a comfortable pace (still below the speed limit), though there were still the irresponsible douches in trucks who thought they could go at or above the speed limit...needless to say everyone of them ended up in the ditch.

Since I live in a much more urban area where everything is close at hand (ie walk/bike distance), and we seldom receive large amounts of snow, a truck really isn't needed for winter here.

18. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I'm just gonna grow biodiesel for mine one of these days or run it on deadwood along the road. :cheers2:

19. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Ever try and haul 4X8 sheets of plywood in a Prius. I love my Dodge Ram 4X4.

20. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

you can have it delivered. Do you regularly haul sheets of plywood?

Love is a pretty strong word to lavish on an inanimate object you know...:rolleyes:

Nothing fun about driving a truck around on city streets. They are uncomfortable to drive, poor milage
    rough handling when empty, poor turning radius, ugly as sin, so on and so forth..

I'm a goddam carpenter for a living, I've had to drive pick-up trucks for most of my working life. Almost never haul materials, that's the contractors job. All my tools fit in the cab, only thing in the bed usually is empty rockstar cans. lol

Its just to look the macho construction guy mostly...plugged up asshole redneck contractors and their clients won't take you seriously if your not driving a truck on the job.

off the job, I drive a sports car. :D