Do you find being anonymous...

Discussion in 'Question of the Week!' started by Moon Goddess, Mar 25, 2023.

1. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

Do you find being anonymous on HipForums allows you to be who you truly are or gives you a place to pretend?

Personally, I find it freeing and as a place to be more authentic. Although, sometimes I struggle with how much I want to share. Occasionally, I regret sharing certain things, not because of the responses I get but because of my own personal hang-ups. It often serves to highlight things that I may have thought I healed but still need to work on. I'm trying to find a good balance of openness without feeling too vulnerable.

Bjgirl, bsboy, Branleur and 11 others like this.
  2. Sagewynd

Sagewynd Real men wear bras

freeing and allows me to exprss who i truly am

my low-rent coworkers also don't know about this place so it makes them much harder to stalk and harass me. maybe they do but i wouldn't give them the benefit of the doubt, they're too stupid to put two and two together and figure it out that ricky j-- is really sagewynd here

Toker, Kitbi, Alice in SC and 3 others like this.
  3. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I belong to an organization whose members prefer to remain anonymous…works for me and is the reason I have over 32 years clean and sober.

4. 6Sailor9

6Sailor9 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think you’re doing well! ;-)

~Zen~ and Moon Goddess like this.
  5. 6Sailor9

6Sailor9 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Congrats buddy! Easy Does it! And keep it simple!!

Eric!, ~Zen~, Sagewynd and 2 others like this.
  6. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

I do my best to eschew pretense and artifice and strive to be as authentic and transparent as possible.
    I also live in a very rural area that's 95.4% White, 96.9% native born, 96.2% Christian, and despite everything, 74.2% voted for Trump; at least 45.8% are armed. It's quite literally the Whitest place I've ever lived in my life.
    Hip Forums gives me an opportunity to be myself and peaceably associate with other like-minded people free of the hostile primitives which surround me.
    PRO TIP: Speaking of hostile primitives, I also make good use of the "ignore" feature on Hip Forums. I don't mind having enemies, but I do require that they meet certain minimal standards.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Toker, Granite69, Si69 and 6 others like this.
  7. Moon Goddess

Moon Goddess Supporter HipForums Supporter

I did that once on my old account. I got really confused on one of my threads when a person I ignored had comment but I couldn't see it. Everyone else started talking about his comment and I had no clue what was going on, lol:rolleyes:

Eric! and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. Hopppy

Hopppy Members

I think makes it easier to explore things and see what interests you. You can do this without the fear of judgement due to the anonymous nature of it.

Toker, ~Zen~ and Moon Goddess like this.
  9. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

I don't need to use the ignore feature. I just ignore people I don't respect all on my own.

Eric! and ~Zen~ like this.
  10. Bazz888

Bazz888 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Pretty much yes. I like to talk about sexual things, my preferences, desires and experiences and I think I can do so here, without being judged negatively or being considered weird. Though I haven't found it possible to do here, I have in other places shared my activities with others, including making videos and masturbating for them and watching them playing for me. Not as good as real-life contact but, when that's not possible, it's a good alternative.

bsboy, Toker, Ybcican and 2 others like this.
  11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I guess I don't really care if anybody knows who I am or not. :) I have mentioned on here a few times that if any forumers find themselves in Eugene--let me know and we'll meet up.

Toker, Death, ~Zen~ and 2 others like this.
  12. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I am glad we chose to keep offering anonymity here at HipForums.

It is freeing to be able to speak one's mind!

[​IMG]

SteveXR, Toker, wilsjane and 6 others like this.
  13. Bazz888

Bazz888 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think the anonymity is very helpful/useful for guys who generally don't talk to other men about their health matters at all and, I guess, in real life many don't even know another guy to whom they could approach for such conversations about sex matters or health issues. The anonymity here enables such conversations, which is very useful, I think.

Toker, Ron love ass, Hopppy and 3 others like this.
  14. Sagewynd

Sagewynd Real men wear bras

I for oen have found it a great way to ease int othat, & make myself comfortable with the idea anyways

i actually finsd myself, ithe site and its anonymity helped me get more comfortable and open to talking about lgbtq and my sexual and health matters with other people in real life (meaning outside the internet) since i started posting here a few years ago than i had been before. subject to how open they are too. i still won't just jump into a conversation with a dude at the lunch counter "hey so have you ever had a handsfree cum" or "d'you like guys who wear bras' unless i already know the person really well and know they don't mind

Toker and Moon Goddess like this.
  15. bobjob

bobjob Members

It's a great place to let myself go, and enjoy talking about exactly who I am inside! My best friend, who is a woman, is the only person close to me that know everything about me because we often talk about it. We're both married and our spouses know we're besties, and we often talk about the dirty things we luv to do that they don't, and often wish out loud how great it would be if we were allowed to fuck each other. We never would, but talking about it sure is fun! BTW, my wife knows I find R wildly attractive, and she agrees that she is very cute!

Toker, Ron love ass and Moon Goddess like this.
  16. Echtwelniet

Echtwelniet Members

To answer the thread...........surten anonymity makes it easier to give a opinion(to much these days*sigh*)............but i dont hide(interwebz) and my posting are pretty honest.Wouldnt make a difference,if you know me or not.

Wenn it comes to others on the interwebz.......................im a bit of a sceptic and have a healthy amount of distrust(unless i see them irl or meet)........experience:D.

[​IMG]

Met some nice people over the years(gaming) but also experienced enough weirdness/drama on forums/social media/interwebz..........

Mzzls

Moon Goddess likes this.
  17. straightma1e

straightma1e Members

It is very difficult to talk with people about certain subjects. Two of those are the use of cannabis and sex with sex being a subject I enjoy very much. The Marijuana threads aren't very active but Love and Sex is for the most part. Not as much as it was a couple of years ago but still active. Here is a place where I can answer threads on subjects I don't get to in my real life. If it weren't for the anonymity of my account I wouldn't participate. The closest to knowing my true identity is if you can recognize me from my avatar. And if you can you should know we have already been intimate, as in had sex, with each other.

Toker, Moon Goddess and Hopppy like this.
  18. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

I'm going to say that it gives me opportunities to talk about topics that I wouldn't bring up in real life conversations. The condition of anonymity should still be the default for every user on the Internet. Especially now, when the most toxic and vindictive culture of online shaming and "cancelling" people has gained a foothold in our society. The major social media platforms, like Facebook and Twitter, are in the wrong, when they force people to post with their real names and faces. We have already seen the ramifications of this: Jobs lost, careers ended, online bullying amongst children has even claimed lives in the form of suicides. In some of the more oppressive regimes, perceived "wrongthink", or thought crimes that run contrary to the prevailing or mainstream orthodoxy has seen people receiving prison sentences for daring to post material that goes against the rulers interests.

Unreasonable consequences for sure, over what was supposed to be a simple Internet post. It shouldn't come back to haunt you like that. So Hip Forums is absolutely in the right for allowing users to stay anon. Because it protects users from retaliation and petty vengeance. For me, it allows freedom. That thing that western societies should be all about.

Toker, Granite69, ~Zen~ and 1 other person like this.
  19. BookOfOlives

BookOfOlives Members

Definitely the former, I feel that this online space is where I can be the most sincere and don't have to play a character as much. Because I'm younger, a lot of online spaces that cater to younger audiences have the unspoken expectation that you have to play a character to some degree. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing; after all, the teen and young adult years is the time to try on new hats and explore new identities. I've definitely have had fun with sites where it's expected that you try on a persona or take on a character to some extent, being a theatre kid and all.

But sometimes I want to have sincere conversations, speaking in a way closer to how I talk to friends, family, and acquaintances in real life. Sometimes, I don't want to have to don millions of layers of memes, irony, and whimsicality and I just want to talk about poetry or travel or life in a straightforward manner. In a mixed-age group setting of free spirits, I feel a lot more free to do so. On HF especially I feel like I'm returning to my roots in a sense--especially because I was raised by a hippie even though I'm not sure if I am one or not.

So thanks to the forum veterans who have cultivated a sincere environment!

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It works in the early stages, but then it becomes more difficult when entering into serious discussions. I try to discuss matters in the forums to allow others to join in, rather than diving into PMs all the time.
    Fortunately the mods keep this site fairly free from trolls and idiots, while leaving a few of them here for fun.

One thing that I always wonder, is how many famous people use forums such as this, in order to remove the stigma of chatting to them.
    Imagine chatting to our new king and calling him "a right Charlie". Off to the tower of London for a head amputation :eek:
    Stranger things have happened. :D

Toker and ~Zen~ like this.