Do you ever feel guilty for...

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Deidre, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

...wanting to just be alone? I'd say that I'm a combination of an introvert and extravert but there are days, when people in my life expect the extravert to always show up. Sometimes, I just want to go off on my own, without my husband...without friends...without my mom...and let the day take me where it will.

"Why do you want to be alone? Is there something wrong?'' is the usual reply, when I dare to say that I'd like to just be alone for a few hours, and do my own thing. I'm not meaning to offend anyone. If I asked a friend to go shopping with me, and she said ''I just want to be alone,'' I'd totally get it. Maybe there are people out there who never like being alone so they don't get it.

Can anyone relate?

scratcho, Orison, McFuddy and 2 others like this.
  2. KL71

KL71 Yanks since '81/Fins since '83 :)

I spend too much time alone where I'm staying (for now). It would actually be nice to get out and do something with friends for the first time this year. I hear Hartford has a WWE TV show on Monday! Would love to go to that and have a great time! :D

Deidre likes this.
  3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

No, because I can never be alone. Between friends, family, and work, I never have more than two seconds to myself. Everyone needs something from me all the time.

No one's ever called me up and said, "Hey...what can I do for you?"

So, no, when I take time for myself, I don't feel guilty. I used to. But then I realized, the people demanding my time never feel guilty about it. Why should I feel guilty about demanding my time?

Deidre likes this.
  4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I've never met a person in real life whom I wanted to really hang around. I'm sure they're out there somewhere but until then being alone suits me just fine. Once I start this indefinite backpacking trip I'll be alone most of the time I expect

Deidre likes this.
  5. I spend quite a lot of time alone. I like my own company and get really pissed if anyone encroached on my time. I am very outgoing and gregarious but my time is my time.

scratcho and Deidre like this.
  6. Running Horse

Don't get me wrong I'd totally dig having a traveling companion but tuning in & dropping out just isn't popular these days

Deidre likes this.
  7. Farmnaked

Farmnaked Banned

I like a lot of alone time and so does my wife so it works out almost perfectly for us. 4 out of 4 of our kids are the same way.

Deidre likes this.
  8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Not very much. Then again I live alone. When I'm traveling with my family or staying in a large group, yeah I guess I do sometimes.

Deidre likes this.
  9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't get alone time, and I am a person who needs alone time. So on the rare occasions that I do get it I relish it without feeling the least bit guilty

scratcho and Deidre like this.
  10. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I hope you do, too, Kevin!

So hear you on this. I admire that you don't feel guilty, and I need to do this, too. Not feel guilty about my alone time. People also want to make you feel bad or whatever, for wanting alone time. Like you're weirdo or depressed. I'm not a weirdo, and I'm not depressed, but I'll be depressed if I don't get some alone time. lol

An indefinite backpacking trip. I'm indefinitely jealous When are you going?

Me, too. I feel the same.

What do you mean by tuning in and dropping out?

That's great. My husband and I are pretty much in sync, but sometimes he gets offended if I want to do something alone.

When I lived alone, I liked the quiet time, and I could pick and choose when I wanted to be around friends and family.

I'm going to start feeling less guilty, since I'm seeing that others here don't. Then, why should I?

KL71 likes this.
  11. Running Horse

If plans hold end of this month or middle of next.

Tuning into life, nature, & the spirit while dropping out of society at large

Deidre likes this.
  12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Iv'e Lived Alone Since 1984......I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way.....I'm A Very Happy And Content Man.....:smiley:

Cheers Glen.

wilsjane, Deidre and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Being an only child, I am not fond of socializing in a large group, whereas Jane being having nine brothers and four sisters enjoys being in a crowd.
    Fortunately, she does not bother when I excuse myself from her gatherings after helping them eat the food. :yum:

GLENGLEN, scratcho and Deidre like this.
  14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not for wanting to be alone, but for the possibility my doing so might make someone else feel bad.
    i don't want to do that. but everything i enjoy depends largely on my not being distracted from it by demands for social attention.
    so its a matter of being true to myself or not.
    for me the happiest times, the quality times, are the times i spend alone.
    i like affection too. but that needs its own time to devote its own attention to.

Deidre and BeatinFeet69 like this.
  15. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm the same way- more of an introvert, believe it or not. I need my time to myself to do what I want.

wilsjane and Deidre like this.
  16. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

To middle earth and beyond! It's going to be amazing. I think it's what you need, from the sounds of your other thread.

You seem so. :) I think that aloneness isn't the same thing as loneliness. Maybe people fear being lonely if they're alone?

You seem like you could go either way, if you had to.

Feel the same. I don't want to make anyone feel bad. But, there are times when I just need some serenity. I work in a busy office, that's part of why I think when I finally do have some me time, I don't want to feel guilty about it.

I'd never guess you're an introvert. :blush:

17. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Dedicated to introverts everywhere:

Deidre likes this.
  18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, i don't feel guilty, no matter how much people try to make me feel guilty.

i do sometimes look down on the sad little people who can't be alone, and then sometimes i feel guilty for feeling that way about them.

Deidre likes this.
  19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I find that quite normal.

Their is nothing worse than people saying the first thing that comes into their head, while everyone responds with fake laughter. By the time that I reply, they have usually moved on to talking more inane rubbish and no one knows what I am talking about.

Time to remember that I have forgotten to feed the cat. LOL.

Deidre, BeatinFeet69 and Eric! like this.
  20. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to send you a pm bro

wilsjane likes this.