Do you consider yourself educated on health and plant based diets?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Nov 7, 2020.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I do, but I’ve studied it since 1980, and I’m finally pursuing a certificate so I can advise my existing clients when they ask nutrition questions.

How about you?
    Are you educated?
    How did you gain your knowledge?
    Is this a topic you love to read?

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Yea, I think so because I've been eating this way since January; though today - of all days - there was meat in my soup. So rather than toss it, I just ate it.

What I know is there's saturated fat in meat. That you can get by on far less protein than the meat industry wants you to think (yes, there is protein in meat - but there's also enough protein in other things to not need it). And that vegans sometimes get vitamin deficient which, if not addressed, can cause permanent brain damage - which is a deterrent if I've ever heard one, but I'm not letting it stop me.

I don't eat stuff with egg, or with dairy - so no yogurt; which is actually full of protein, but off the menu... I eat a lot of tofu, and a lot of apples.

3. Cookie Man

Cookie Man Senior Member

I was a chef for 30 years ,I now own a bakery ,I hold a Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics,my philosophy is everything in moderation except smoking and hard drugs,that includes moderate consumption of red meat,poultry,fish and good amounts of fruits and vegetables ,I drink alcohol in moderation ,basically I believe that having a pizza every couple of weeks is unlikely to hurt you much but eat it every day and don't eat enough vegetables and you will probably be in strife.
    Cheers

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

were you aware you posted this in the vegetarian section?

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Point moot. I've a genetically inherited difficulty absorbing B12; as a vegetarian, I had no detectable levels, and oral supplements and injections alone could not bring me within normal limits. I also have a degenerative neurological disorder, which though not caused by B12 deficiency, can be exacerbated by it, so at the insistence of my doctor and request of my mate, I reluctantly added meat back to my diet.

Reminds me of my father-in-law back in the day; having prepared us dinner, he turned to me and said, "You vegetarian, so I use chicken; just leeetle bit."
    In the spirit of Takuhatsu, I accepted it without discrimination and with sincere gratitude.

6. Cookie Man

Cookie Man Senior Member

Yes ,I thought it was a relevant reply,of course I'm happy for it to be removed if I was wrong,certainly no offense intended.Cheers

7. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Acquisition of vegetarian health is a passionate subject. The roots are not new, but the science changes. Imagine in 1866 a sanitarium in Battle Creek, MI was started up by Dr. Kelogg based on principles of Seventh Day Adventist faith.
    I have read about combinations that used to be made to create complete proteins using two or three vegetables. I came across Laurel's Kitchen when it was hot off the press.
    Some of the creations of the time were spot on. But I didn't come from a culture that was into having a variety of unusual/exotic grains or beans that would certainly never be used more than once; bulgur, texturized vegetable protein, rye, winter wheat, farro.
    I also found out early on that I needed to learn whole new cooking skills that included methods to steam and to braise. I remember having the collapsible metal steamers, a wok, a clay pot, and a double boiler.
    I also learned to pickle vegetables such as cabbage, mustard greens, and peppers. I still eat tofu in stir fry and as a healthy addition to most soups.
    There are some foods that I still enjoy but have opted not to make them at home. Those are generally things that are fried in oil (such as French fries). About the only exception to that rule are potato pancakes in the winter.