Do you care what others think of you?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by Wolfman's Brother, Mar 6, 2013.

?

Do you care what others think of you?

1. Not at all

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes, absolutely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only Family or Friends or at Work

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Depends who they are

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Not Sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

so it sounds like you do care if people falsely think you're a criminal then.

you care what your family or friends think of you? last i checked, those are "others."

that's what i said way back in my first post. what people think of you affects your life. if you truly didn't care what your potential boss thought of you, you would not take your mom's advice, you would probably not get the job, and you and your child would have to deal with not having money.

caring what people think of you encompasses more than just caring whether people think you're weird. if that was the question, then i wouldn't doubt that most people posting here legitimately don't care. that wasn't the question though.

2. jermy85

jermy85 Guest

Honestly, not! But I still believe that most people that would say that care at least a bit!

3. Regal

Regal Guest

I do care yes. Not to the degree that I'm paranoid about what everybody I meet thinks of me, but I like to think those I care about think as well of me as I do them.

4. wabbey

wabbey Member

Only loved ones i consider their opinions , the rest can die as far as their opinions lol .

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

No!

6. QuietPerson

QuietPerson Member

Whether I "care what other people think" or not would depend on what that phrase means.

Almost everyone, and I include myself, feels better relating with at least one and usually many other humans. You have three friends, with whom you share common interests and values. If you literally did not care--zip, zilch, nada, zero, nope, no fucks given--what anyone thought of you, there wouldn't even be a basis for friendship. To care about others, at least to the extent that you don't want them to die and hope they don't want you to die, is human, and it sounds like you've found some people with whom you have a lot more in common than not wanting each other to die. You'll find that you can build on those friendships. Do stuff with your friends that you all have interest in, and eventually you'll meet others.

That being said, I completely understand where you're coming from about being seen as "weird," and how eventually you learn you don't necessarily have to "do as the Romans do" all the time and you just say "Fuck it! I'm done!" I function in society, I suppose, but I tend to keep to myself mostly because I get a lot of blank stares from people and I eventually came to see I was just not on the same life path as a lot of folks around me. It does get lonely at times, but I also try to keep myself focused on what I want my life to be in the hope that I'll meet people along the way to share the journey.

So, the tl;dr version of this, I guess, is that yes I think it's OK to want to belong, but following the crowd in order to do so is a quick way to run off a cliff.

7. dark suger

dark suger Dripping With Sin!

I really don't care as long as I'm comfortable that's all that matters to me. Like today I was like should I put on my cool boots and then I thought naw that would take way too long let me slip on these sneakers that don't match instead. It was faster and I was more comfortable today.

8. Shakti_Om

Shakti_Om Local Pixie

Not, no, never!
    I care about people and their feelings. I show compassion and kindness. I try not to be cruel or wicked.
    However my personality, appearance and lifestyle is who I am, it defines me. Those who criticise are entitled to their opinion, but it does not bother me :)

9. Victoria1987

Victoria1987 Member

It depends on who it is. If it's a close friend or family member or a teacher or boss or something, then their opinion matters to me. If it's some random douchebag off the street, then I probably don't care too much.

10. Spiral Sea

Spiral Sea Member

I´d say No but I do easily get offended when someone makes unkind remarks about me.

11. I care less and less as the years wear on, because I realize the truth is that people rarely think of each other. People just think of themselves and try to force others to believe the fantasy they're creating in order to support their own psychological needs. Some people act like they're lovers and won't even let you be a lover. No, they've got to get on top, somehow. Of course they need more meaning in their lives than the facts will allow, or else what does our social hierarchy really mean? Some people have more money, but nobody's got any more love or any more intense an experience. So why can't a rich man be friends with a poor man? Just because, psychologically, he's too weak. And the whole house of cards follows in suit, with a bunch of bullshit people believing bullshit truths in order to justify their bullshit experience.

12. sneepsnop

sneepsnop Member

Here's something to think about:

Sure, we don't care what others think about us, when it comes to things like name calling and bullying about how we present ourselves and what we believe in. We are proud of who we are, right?

But would you be upset if lots of people thought you were something that you were totally against? What if people thought you were a nazi when in reality you were a serious social justice activist?

I think lots of people do actually care about what people think about us, whether they like to think so or not. I know I care. Denying that would be pointless.

13. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

I care about what people who could fire me from my job think of me. I also care about how people who depend on me at work feel, because I don't want it to be a bad experience for them. So, I'm constantly trying to improve myself. This year is over and I've got plenty of ideas to make next one even better for them. It's always like that.

At home, I care for what my husband feels and if something needs changing and adapting, I'll put all my effort in trying to achieve that. Sometimes it's impossible, but I'll try it for over a decade before I'll give up.

Other people, the ones who aren't related to my work, I care very little what they think about me, but I still care some. I don't wanna shock and offend. I don't wanna disturb. I also don't like when I'm misunderstood, but I can live with it. Since I live in a place with a culture that's very different from my own, I'm not immune to misunderstandings.

People whose opinions I really don't care are the bullies. There are real life bullies and Internet bullies, for instance. I couldn't possibly care less for what they think of me. Women haters are among those.

14. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Not really.....

"nigga i'm the shit, and if I ain't, I'll let ya'll think what ya think"
    -young jeezy

15. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

It's not so much that I care what others think of my opinion/s - it is moreover that the consequences of their belief/s upon the actions that are taken against me - and the ramifications of such

16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Not really...people that don't like me are stupid.

17. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

I don't care any more.
    Fate will bring me (through my wisdom) to those who are good, caring people.
    Fate will also bring me challengers, to try and talk me down. This happens, more or less to everyone.
    Just ignore the bad and ignorant and you'll be fine. lol

18. BirdFlu

BirdFlu resident alien

I care in the way that i appreciate constructive criticism. I enjoy the third person view of things that it can bring...sometimes people are blind to stuff that they would want to address.
    also, in order to get the life that i want, i will do certain things so that i can get it. I dress more "together" because (sadly) people are judgemental. and Im friendly, as no one wants to help an asshole.

19. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

To an extent, of course.

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

not what anyone thinks about me, more then my survival requires,
    but what, if anything, they might think because of me, because that's something, each of us are to some degree responsible for.

i care about the kind of world all of us, including myself, have to live in.
    that's not completely altruistic, nor completely the opposite, but i do have to live in it too.