Do you believe in the power of prayer, do you pray?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by bedlam, Jan 19, 2005.

?

Do you believe in the power of prayer, do you pray?

1. Yes......and it really does work.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes.....but it has never helped yet.

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Undecided

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. northernlehigh97

northernlehigh97 Senior Member

Yes indeed prayer works. Some people think it doesn't because sometimes the answer may be no. Also I think some prayers are not answered because if we don't have enough faith God can't answer them. I have had many prayers answered in my life. I do not ever limit God as to what I pray for. I know nothing is to big or hard for Him. And for those of you who need scientific proof there have been over a hundred experiments done on the effect of prayer on various life forms. Experiments with people showed that prayer positively affected high blood pressure, wounds, heart attacks, headaches and anxiety. In many cases we can suspect a psychosomatic reason for these improvements, but not all. Some of these experiments, were done in a double blind manner. That means that neither the doctor nor the subject knew who was being prayed for, and who wasn't. This can rule out the placebo effect. Subjects in didn't get better just because they thought they would, or because the doctors thought they would and somehow subconsciously communicated that belief to their patients. Prayer has one definite advantage over counseling, and medical help alone. God is always there.

2. Amanda N

Amanda N Member

Give up smoking is a case of will power... mind over body... nothing to do with jesus or god... it's all yourself.. trust me, I know... I gave up a 20 a day habit 2 years ago.... did I use god or jesus? NO... I used my own power to do so.

3. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

yeah, i pray. mainly for focus, communion, meditation. i guess it's not so much a "prayer" as a meditation. though i did ask god for a car once, outta desperation, and ended up with 3. that was kinda funny. but i'm not sure it works like that. i also quit smoking, but i don't think god bothered with any of that. nicorette patches were very effective. though, really, i DID get a whole set of patches from my husband's ex-wife's husband, out of the blue, after praying for the strength to do what i needed to do. hm. i know a lot of people pray for healing of others, but i'm not the sort that believes in that. i think if someone is supposed to die, they'll die. if they're not supposed to die, they won't. i'm not a big believer that death is bad, nor do i think pain is all evil. so yeah, i pray, but mainly just to "talk."