Do you believe in hate?

Discussion in 'The Hip Polls' started by Nebacanezer, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Nope, I'm the guy hiding in the frozen food section dialing 911. ;)
    I mean, he's talking about two kinds of ANGRY people. I'm not angry. At least not any more. My screaming-at-the-cashier days are long gone, which I'm quite happy about to be honest.

2. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

Nice to meet you, too. :)

Well, I should perhaps elaborate a little... I DO believe hate to be a very intense emotion that DOES exist. I just don't believe in RETURNING hate to those who are being hateful. Hence, my initial reply. Countering hate with hate to me doen't seem like a productive approach to co-existing with others in this world. I don't even believe there's such thing as SWEET revenge in real life. I guess more powers to those who can find it sweet, though...... :-/

3. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

yeah. i know he was talking about angry people, but i find it funny so used it as a comparable nonetheless :p

4. The Imaginary Being

i'm not saying hate is an emotion, i'm talking in generalities - hence 'emotions'.

ultimately, my point is - if you can't choose who you love, why can you choose who you hate?

5. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Hate does not occur without a guilty verdict.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hate is not always a choice, though I think it's good to avoid hating stuff and especially people as well. I find it difficult to believe some people are incapable of hating. They're probably lucky not to encounter it so far. It can be triggered in anyone if the circumstances are right (or wrong :p)

7. stonk

stonk Member

call it what you want I still hate having a knife at my guts, not that i ever have but the capacity to hate is there

8. thedope

Condition is a word meaning "to speak with", con=with dicere=to speak.

There is no human condition that does not arise on the breath.

We enter the ark of experience two by two, male and female each according to their kind.

A pursuit consists of the pursuer and the pursued. Take away either element and you no longer have a pursuit.

The ray of creation proceeds always in this order. Thought, word, and deed.
    This happens so quickly that we often do not recognize the order of the process, or even suspect that it exists. We imagine that feelings come unbidden and that they reflect conditions in the world at large, but they really reflect the mechanics of an individuals creative power.

Hate has two constituents, the hater and the hated. How did the hated appear? The ray of creation proceeds thought, word, and deed. With this in mind you can follow the progressions of your own creations. As it stands we generally do not recognize our own creations, believing instead that we had been the victims of external circumstances. No thing can be hated unless it was first judged or evaluated as unworthy.

To the extent that we argue against this principle, we depreciate the power of our own minds. The power to change our mind is the only power we have.
    People are way too lax in the regulation of their own minds and most of what they call "thinking", is watching thoughts arise by virtue of habitual associations, filing things to memory or seeing, only the past.

9. junglejack

junglejack aiko aiko

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways , but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom.

We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often.
    -George Carlin-
    -
    -I agree ,its takes so much negative energy- -and its not worth it.People hold on to hate" for way too long.- and life is way to short for that.
    Of course I hate what people do to other people- Bin-Laden,..the CIA...even my boss at times ... etc..
    you get the idea. But in most cases to hold onto the hate- of another human...it just isnt worth it-
    Someone once said (allegedly)- "forgive them they know not what they do"- -whether that was really said or the whole story is a fable- its still good advise

10. The Imaginary Being

much like love.

11. 7he4uthor

7he4uthor Member

Heres a thought on hate .........

12. thedope

Hmm, I think that is true of romantic ideal, but I think romantic ideal and love are not at all the same thing.

The romantic ideal is upheld by relative unworthiness. The "loved one" deserves treatment or consideration far in excess of that accorded to others. It is inherently prejudicial, and if you don't measure up to the ideal then you become unworthy regardless of any inherent qualities you may in fact posses.

The romantic fantasy is founded on guilt, not love. A romantic love requires proof or payment. All expressions of true love are maximal, that is they are not redeemable in any other way. A smile on a an elevator is seldom misinterpreted as evil intent, but if noticed at all, calls for at least a moments relaxation.

13. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i don't return hate..... if i respect the person that hates me i'll confront them about it.... but mostly it doesn't concern me, i don't automatically feel one way about a person simply because they feel that way about me

i've learned that hate (real hate, not the "i wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" or the "i'm gonna beat you up" hate.. but the "I really hope there isn't an afterlife, because it means that when you are dead you will really cease to exist" kind of hate) is a very useful (necessary?) tool for self preservation tho'......... hate is a force of repulsion that keeps people seperate for their own safety ... it's not known as the opposite of love for no reason :sunny:

14. thedope

I don't see hate as the opposite of love, I see hate as the call for it, (love).
    Repulsion as a physical response has nothing to do with hate, I don't think. Like throwing up when you see a dismembered body. That is a response of revulsion but not of hate. Anger and hate are deviants of fear.

15. Oz!

Oz! Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

are you telling me that my own interpretation of my own emotions is wrong?

thanks, your opinion has been duly noted

16. Charmed262

Charmed262 Member

I don't hate anyone. I strongly dislike some people, but I don't hate them. It takes to much energy to hate someone. If someone wants to hate me they can. Just don't expect me to return the hate.

17. thedope

I don't recall saying that. I said I make different distinctions. The results of the distinctions you make are yours to report. For instance you regard hate as the opposite of love. I observe that hate reflects a desire for it to be otherwise. Hate does not occur without the specter of evaluation.

However, You can really hate based on an incorrect description. The only indicator that hate provides is to indicate your own level of agreement with any situation. How can you benefit, as you say, from the presence of hate as protector if what you are being protected from is a nightmare or an illusion created by a false assessment.

I also made a distinction between the physiological response of revulsion and the induced response from judgment or classification.
    Another example of the physiological response of revulsion is the gag reflex.
    A burning sensation in the mouth is instructive toward identifying eatables.
    Hate is good at identifying your own level of enthusiasm toward any observation.

I can well see your point that hate provides a healthy service. My point is that it is a two edged sword that is certainly self defeating if it is applied inordinately.

18. political squaw

political squaw Member

For me hate is a feeling that derives from certain emotions. If someone constantly makes you experience negative emotions, eventually you grow to hate them. I don't remember ever reaching the state of hating someone, I have always tried to avoid the source of negative: people, jobs, places, if they caused me undue emotional strain. But I can imagine such situations like, let's say, someone has a job they cannot afford to quit, but they don't like it or their boss causes them everyday stress and strain, so they start hating. I don't think it's okay to actually suppress hate, but rather let it out in a safe for everyone way (beating a carpet, for instance :D)

Also, I imagine it is exhausting to hate, you really need to have the energy for it. I spend my energy on quite a few things so sometimes there is none left to love, let alone hate. And generally I like to enjoy each and every emotion (joy, sadness, serenity, anger) separately, without mixing them into one huge thing. Anger usually lasts a few seconds, were it to last longer I'd get overwhelmed and leave, without waiting until it turns to hatred.

Overall I have noticed that people who hate are usually those who are irrational and lack the ability to reason, as well as those who perform endless unconditional love lol I see love and hate walking side by side very often. I prefer the middle way

19. stonk

stonk Member

I am sure the guy who jabs you in the ribs with a gun and demanding money would love a nice calming conversation about how he is diminishing the worlds reserve of love by doing this, maybe he would go for a drink with you, who knows you may convince him to buy you one out of the money he stole off you

We all hate, theres no use denying it you hate the twat with a bunch of keys attached to his belt that is so proud the boss made him a junior manager, and that he can open the office for everyone and tell you what to do. You all know its because the guy is a spineless yes man but never-the-less you grimace through gritted teeth every time the wanker comes near you as you know the job should have gone to anyone but him. and six weeks later you lunch the job out as you cant bear going there anymore as its all too demeaning and its not long before you find a job where you arent confronted by some dimwit with a bunch of keys that thinks he will one day run the whole corporation

20. 7he4uthor

7he4uthor Member

do you be and live in hate ?

7he 1rish redheads are said to be hateful
    Ire means anger ... ireland the land of anger
    are you asking if im irish ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.