Do you believe in ghosts/spirits?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by interval_illusion, Jan 8, 2005.

1. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

You see something strange and unexplained on a photograph and rather than figuring it's either film imperfections or anything else that you simply don't know, you go and say it's evidence of something paranormal?

That is so unscientific it's laughable.

No wonder mainstream science does not even credit the "paranormal" with any believability, and doesn't wast time with it.

-Jeffrey

2. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

not always, even the most cynical get convinced.

3. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

I never had problems with my film until I took pictures of a grotto.....

so much energy hangs out at a place where people pray alot...

4. peacefuljeffrey

And I look forward eagerly to that day. I'd like to believe in something as cool as spirits and ghosts and stuff. It's fascinated me since I was a little kid -- I've always liked spooky stories. Back then I DID believe it was real -- because fictional stories paraded around as though they were telling the truth! Like such movies as The Entity.They put a little preface in text at the start of the movie that says, "based on true events," and even though they are under NO OBLIGATION to be telling the truth, people believe that. People, that crap is just to make the story more creepy -- it's part of the FICTION of it!!

But I grew up, and grew out of it. I came to realize that people were making these stories and claims only to get attention, and to entertain. There was nothing binding them to be the truth. I came to dismiss them, because there is no clear evidence or proof of them. It's like believing stories about leprechauns just because some people claim to have seen them.

If the scientific establishment ever found anything worth believing in the stories of the paranormal, I'd begin to give them credence. Not until then, or until I see something with my own eyes and mind.

-Jeffrey

5. peacefuljeffrey

Does it happen repeatedly, and to other people and their film? Can you go back there with perfectly new film and have the same thing happen, manifesting in the same way?

I doubt it.

-Jeffrey

6. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

hey jefferey...pull my finger.....

7. DoDaMan

DoDaMan Member

I did not believe in ghosts until I saw one. I am a very skeptic person as well Jeff. It took me being sober and witnessing the ghost with my own eyes to belive in them...............

~namaste~

8. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

I can tell you about some other things, besides the soap. That was just a bit out there, even for me. And as a follow up, I never did find that bar of soap. I've had my house re-wired twice now, and now matter what, lightbulbs dont last more than a week or two here. Furthermore, stuff disappears and shows up in odd places. For example, I went for my DVD remote one day, and I can't find it. I tore the damned place apart. Then I gave up. 3 days later, I was digging through some stuff in my storage room, and there it is, buried at the bottom of a box. I didnt get stoned and forget that I put it there, cuz even the most retarded person wouldn't intentionally hide his DVD remote, and I sure as hell wasnt in that room prior to that day for at least a month. I don't need any more proof other than that I just live with the bitch and ignore her.

9. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

Yes, i do. completely.

10. kindwoman

kindwoman Sista Golden Hair

There are those that will continue to doubt, however, I know for a fact they exist. One may not be able to photograph them or see them, but they are there. I had one try to suffocate me once & I was wide awake -my eyes saw nothing there! I felt something around my ankles & something over my mouth so I couldn't scream.

Another experience I had: I was sitting in the living room with the stereo on. The stereo was on the other side of the room. I heard footsteps & then a 'click' and the stereo turned off. How does one explain that? This happened more than once.

So just because you can't actually see the apparations/ghosts/whatever you want to call them, does not mean they don't exist.

11. peacefuljeffrey

Okay, now if you don't mind, please explain to me why the fuck ghosts would bother moving DVD player remote controls around, or making light bulbs last only two weeks? :confused:

You also forget that I first must BELIEVE that you have no reason to not wish to titillate with such a story, and also that you are 100% sane and undeluded. Then if I accept those things, I'm supposed to have to accept that the "paranormal" is the only explanation for this CLAIMED occurrence.

See, it is the height of "unscientific" to simply ACCEPT your story as undisputed FACT and then proceed from there. The first thing we would have to do if we were going to be acting rationally, and on a sound scientific foundation, is to prove unequivocally that you are telling the truth about the remote turning up where it did. We'd also have to exclude all possibility that you were deliberately committing a hoax.

And that's just the thing. NO CLAIM OF A GHOST OR HAUNTING has ever withstood this test. Either hoaxes were found outright, or there was too much room for humans to have caused the disturbances they were claiming were caused by ghosts.

Put a book on a table in a sealed, scientific lab and have a ghost flip the pages to a specific page, or something like that, and you might convince me. And you'd have to have some big-name scientists vouching for the whole experiment. (And even then, in our "SELL ANYTHING" world, there'd be no guarantee that the scientists themselves had not "come aboard" to try to profit off the hype of this supposed "proof of ghostly phenomena.")

Short of this, all we have are CLAIMS of people having "seen things."
    Is this really how low your threshold for believability is set??

-Jeffrey

12. peacefuljeffrey

I would think that if you truly do have a ghost living with you, you should watch how you talk about her.

I mean, if she can make your DVD remote disappear from one location and reappear in another,
    couldn't she make rat poison disappear from its box
    and reappear in your coffee as you're drinking it?

But really... please explain why all stories of ghosts seem to be about them doing pointless, stupid things like relocating remote controls...

And by the way, Kindwoman, not to discount your experiences, but what you described about being suffocated sounds a LOT like people's accounts of what is called "NIGHT TERRORS," and often involves the mechanism by which the body is paralyzed during the dream state so that we don't thrash around and hurt ourselves as we sleep...

I'm just saying that before any scientist would rush off claiming "it was a ghost!" ALL possibilities have to be exhausted first. It is the natural logical progression that we must first remove the SIMPLEST causes from the realm of possibility before we proceed to believe the most outlandish causes.

-Jeffrey

13. OSF

OSF SeƱor ******

I wonder, what effects do this belief in ghosts/spirits have on the religious/spiritual aspect of your lives?

14. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

because spirits cant kill people idiot.

15. Lodui

Lodui One Man Orgy

No... maybe if I saw one... but I don't think that'll ever happen.

I don't think I'd be too concerned if I did see one... whats he gonna do... boo at me?

16. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

aw man jeffrey,,, you a bit wigged out bout this stuff or what there lol,,,spirits dont harm,,,, least not in my world,,,,, ghosts tend to be the more mischievious, trouble causing buggers n basically tis cuz they be sorta kinda caught tween here n there n dunno that they are dun gone n dead n dont feel as tho they are,,, so often tend to behave in odd lil ways just because and so that folks notice them around ,,,,,, takin too much of me energy here splaining it n not worht a big long essay....

as far as what all this does to my spiritual/ religious beliefs,,,,, well it is part of my spiritual beliefs,,, a major part of it,,, as well as a major part of my day to day life,,,spirits are everywhere in my lil world and i have to deal with my being able to sense them,,, differentiate tween them and real and know to respect them ,,,, i dont communicate with them unless they do so with or thru me,,, but they also give me glimpses into past lives of other ppl..... yes my daughter does the same thing,,,, has a spirit guide that she has had since she was a baby.... as far as religious lol ,,,, mmmmm i dont do the religion thing,,,

17. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

yeah. no real trouble. i never actually saw one until my last house, and it just about shocked me right outta my skin the first time. it was just a little girl running through the house. saw it a couple times, thought it was my daughter at first, but it was too big, maybe 4-5 years old, and my daughter was accouted for.. no dad children in our house's history, though. so i got to thinking maybe it's just a happy memory or something. no troubles.

18. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I promise they exist, but I'm not going to argue it with people...maybe some people can't ever see them.

19. peacefuljeffrey

Ohhhhhh, I see.

And what movie was it that you learned this from?

If a spirit can move/throw stuff mystically, why would that spirit not be able move, say, a KNIFE across a sleeping person's throat? Or a heavy object off a shelf onto someone's head?

Or is this about some binding spell that prevents them from causing a person harm? Because for every person like you who claims spirits can't kill people, there are dozens who claim those spirits either did, or tried.

Is this anti-killing thing in the bible or something? "And the lord god did say that spirits shall be unable to kill the living..."

I mean, where do you get this stuff?!

-Jeffrey

20. dilligaf

dilligaf Banned

ah shit ,,, tis either something ya believe in or don't.... aint worth the energy trying to change ones mind when they be so closed minded to begin with ,,,, would be different if one was willing to be open to the other side of the argument and atleast listen n then make a more informed decision based upon the opinions and facts or what have you of others and your own mind,,,,,