Do Y'all Cover Up Your PC Camera?

Discussion in 'Paranoid?' started by tumbling.dice, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

We had. But not sure of the competitive element. If i think about such an aspect i sooner think of illegal immigration (of hijab wearing people alright)... and nobody won. We just had opposite stances and VG shared your view.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

someone on the internet is masturbating to this image as we speak.

RetiredHippie likes this.
  3. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

Thanks

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The girl who delivered my groceries yesterday wore a hijab and she was breathtakingly beautiful. She had beautiful eyes. She looked Iranian, maybe.

Also my friend brought me a really pretty hijab back from Iraq and I loved it so much I tried to wear it once but felt weird and felt like I was getting weird stares. So now it hangs on my wall. But I actually thought I looked pretty good in it. I did a dramatic smoky eye with it

Orison and Irminsul like this.
  5. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I tend to think of the practical aspects of clothing - I'm of the opinion that clothing should be optional and individual. Garb like discussed above was born of practicality; when sand is blowing, one's skin needs protection!

So yeah, cover the face instead of the camera... that ought to tweak those hackers!

6. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Videochatting. It's pretty handy these days for family and friends overseas. Or on the other side of the continent... whenever there's people we want to keep up with who can't just come over that often.

We do it mostly on phones lately. I haven't seen anyone cover up the front and rear cameras of their phones, but there's bound to be someone buying into the hysteria that they're being spied on and covering them up. Although those folks would be better served to power their phones down because there's a mic and speakerphone built in that may be challenging to cover over...

7. I remember now.
    It had to do with saying nonsense like "hijabis look....cleaner"...or something like that.
    I am sure someone implied men respect hijabis more.

It was so cringeworthy.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Irminsul likes this.
  9. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

They sell those little plastic things that can go over the camera and slide open when you want to use it. I've been meaning to buy one.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Pack of 100x sticky notes is cheaper. :p and you can use them for 100 weeks. :D

la Principessa likes this.
  11. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I believe they can be. I was in a building where cellphones were not allowed and accidentally brought mine in. I went to the bathroom to shut mine off, and within seconds, it booted back up again. Shut it off again three more times, then it came back on again! Then I just removed the battery to finally stop all that shit. Freaked me out.

12. Eric!

100 weeks and then some

Irminsul likes this.
  13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

so the point of this story is that somebody really wanted to see you in the bathroom?

14. Eric!

Nope, my point is, there's technology out there that turns your phone on remotely, in the hopes to eaves drop in private conversations and meetings. Government buildings that require security clearances for access, have strict rules about cellphone use in secure areas, and actually personnel can get reprimanded over the shit. I forgot I had mine on me, it vibrated during a meeting and the bathroom was the only nearby privacy I could run to and silence it.

15. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Good idea on cutting the mic wire but I've know since 1998 that camera's were being remotely viewed/ listening in ect. Always told everyone and no one believed me until they saw that one movie. Then they knew I wasn't lying after all☻

16. Holly1272

Holly1272 Members

I do! I cover it up, on top of this program I ran that disconnects all kinds of Microsoft services to ensure your privacy. It disconnects access to the camera, but I lose some other things as well, such as the Microsoft store and location services. But hey, that's fine for me! I bought this laptop for some games and leisure stuff!

17. Chuck Burns

Chuck Burns Members

Yes, to avoid any embarrassing moments

18. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

There's no doubt there's been hacks into viewing people's cameras in some amount, but what would they see? It would have to be 99.999% boring as hell. Like the table top or the ceiling, inside of a pocket, etc. Maybe some room if on a laptop and it were open and lighted. One in a million might be someone naked or having sex in front of the camera, and then big whoop, let em watch. They wouldn't know me and I wouldn't have any qualms about being naked and having sex with open curtains if I were somewhere nobody knew me like on vacation anyway.

If anybody wanted anything "juicy" they'd be listening, not watching. Covering the camera does nothing to prevent possible listening. And there's no way to know the internal mics aren't "on" without physical intervention or powering down the device. All this while gobs of people have those assistant devices constantly listening to everything in their homes within earshot.

19. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Certain Intell processors have a feature called "vPro". I think idea was supposed to be that corporations would be able to check out what they're employees were doing on company laptops, and control things remotely.

vPro can allegedly be (partially) deactivated in the bios, but there's still the possibility of your files being wiped out remotely.

If you are concerned about privacy, maybe look into whether you've got vPro or not

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My camera probably just shows me picking my nose or having a vape or sticking pens in my nose to make myself sneeze.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.