Do wraps help or hinder?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by amethystrse, Jun 4, 2007.

1. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

A few years ago a friend of mine told me that when she did her dreads she wrapped them and left them like that for 7 months while they tightened. After a lot of what I read I'm not sure if that's the way to go or not.

I'm wrapping one of my dreads because I like how it looks. I'm also debating about doing all of them in different colors. Do you think that would help or hinder the knotting process?

I'm curious to see what everyone on here thinks.

*hugs*
    Jess

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

it will help everytime ive seem wraps left in a few months they made dreads quickly & tightly but will result in thin dreads

3. hanaspana

hanaspana Member

I put a couple in, just cause I thought they looked nice. Left them for a couple of months, and when I took them off (which was a bit of a mission) and the dreads were much tighter and harder.

They definately felt like they had locked up much more.

I wouldn't leave them in indefinately though, possible mould magnet

Later days :)

4. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

Thanks guys. I still don't know if I'll do my whole head. If I do I'll only leave them in for a few months so they don't mold. I'm allergic to mold and mildew and don't want to chance that! lol

*hugs*
    Jess

5. hanaspana

hanaspana Member

I just picked the dreads that were a bit funky looking. Ones you think you'd like to neaten up a bit.

Personally wouldn't recommend your whole head. They're not very comfy sleeping on when you have 1 or 2, never mind a whole head!

Later days

6. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

Not to mention that it takes forever to wrap them the way I'm doing it. lol I sleep on my stomach so that's not a problem. But I'm probably going to just wrap the ones I'm having the most trouble with.

Thanks again!

7. abseeley

abseeley Member

so I got my hands on some needle-point string or thread or whatever it is, its pretty strong because I cant break it with my hands. I have...
    Neon Green
    White
    Beige
    Hot Pink
    Yellow
    Orange
    Red
    I'm thinking about doing a few of my dreads in good colors that match, to tighten them up and clean them up a bit, you might have seen the pictures the other day in a post, and yah they were messy! So do you guys think it will be strong enough? and can I still wash every so often with wraps?

8. egle

egle Member

i want more, they work realy well, Beige and brown is good, dono why

also as her hair growes at the top i found mine dreaded loads and when it got longer it just became a biger gap from head to rap, but realy dreaded,

9. abseeley

abseeley Member

Huh nifty-quick, I will give it a shot I think with the lighter neutral colors.

10. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

I'm using yarn for mine. I thought about using something like thread but that seemed like it would take even longer to wrap. *shrugs*

I say use whatever colors you like. I'm using brown and a few will be done in white.

11. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

But they don't fatten up if you have wraps...

12. amethystrse

amethystrse Member

I actually don't mind if they're skinny. I've seen skinny dreads and I like them. :) I like fat ones too actually. But, with my face I think the skinnier ones would be better.

13. abseeley

abseeley Member

So I wrapped one of my dreads in a beige color, and it does take a while! I actually did like three or four but, less is more apparently and just having one on the side is a nice accent, almost like an earing... But for those of you who haven't done wraps before Id love to point out the way I found it easiest to do:

1. Take a small disposable elastic and place it tightly in your hair where you would like the wrap to start.

2. Take the piece of yarn/thread/hemp and put the end through the elastic so there is about an inch or two through. At this point the thread should be attached to your head by the elastic.

3. Begin wrapping around and around and around until desired thickness, and length. Remember to wrap it nice and tight so it won't just slide off!

4. When you get done all the wrapping you want to do, cut a good deal down the thread if its still attached to something else, or just a loose end. Now comes the interesting part, tying the end knot, I left about a foot to a foot and a half excess thread.

5. First place a finger of your left (im right handed) hand down the wrap, now wrap the thread around your finger and the wrap. Wrap the thread around (while still having the big loop around your finger) the wrap two or three more times, but not on the part where your finger is. Now remove your finger and put the end of the thread through that loop where your finger was.

6. Pull the thread tight and repeat a few times as deemed necessary, and voila you have end knots. Cut away any excess thread that is left.

7. Presto you have yourself a wrap! And remember less is more!

14. lucyinthesky

lucyinthesky Tie Dyed Soul

my friend just put in a cute brown, green & pink wrap on one of my dreads. it's CUUUUUUUUUUTE. i love wraps.

15. hamish...

hamish... Member

im deffinitly gna wrap some of mine like the very bottom ones at the back are all congealing and coming apart, also the ones near my temple so ill do them and a few on the top=D

16. Mushgirl

Mushgirl Member

how exactly do you wrap dreads? cause it looks awesome and i wanna do it myself, but i dont know how...

17. hamish...

hamish... Member

from what iv read you tie a long piece of hemp at the top of your dread, then just wrap it round and round the dread until you get to the bottom, then you tie it again.
    so just wrap it round until you have covered the dread.

i dont know if thats clear but hey look around the forums the answer will be ther sumwer

18. soul_drummer

soul_drummer ~dready drummer~

i just took out the 3-4 wraps i had in my hear about 2 days ago. i've been told not to leave em in long, and i kinda left these in for a good while..lol. but what i do, is i actually Macrame the hemp in em. it's a bit harder to take them out when you're ready for em, but they stay longer and stay nice and tight too.
    only thing to think bout tho is when you wash, you'll have to pay more attention to the dreads that are wrapped so you get them dry FOR SURE, so they don't stay wet and get nasty^^

19. happiehippie

happiehippie Member