Do the Democrats have the balls?

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by Balbus, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Ok let us say the Democrats win the Senate and Presidency and remain in control of the House – do they have the balls -the will and foresight - to do what needs to be done to save US democracy going forward in the future?

It seems to me the progressives seem to get the urgency but it seems to me too many of the moderates seem to think that if Trump is removed then that’s job done and everything will return to ‘normal’.

2. Letlovintakehold2

Letlovintakehold2 Members

I don't think that the Democrats want real change any more than the Republicans do. There are a few individuals who do but the power structure within the party wants the status quo.

3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Time will tell. Back seat driving won't get you there.

FritzDaKatx2 likes this.
  4. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Here's a message for you to give to that Richard Cranium in the White House !!!

5. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

It depends on who is in the Cabinet. There is a push to get Warren, and Sanders in the Cabinet. Bernie has been mentioned as a possible Secretary of Labor.
    I have no problem with any of this.

scratcho, Tishomingo and Balbus like this.
  6. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They damn well better find the balls. Things won't get back to "normal" without a lot of work. We need to take measures to cope with the pandemic until we get a vaccine, reform the police and battle institutionalized racism. The current situation is not a status quo we should want to maintain, but sadly many do. They want herd immunity, giving the police free reign and putting minorities "in their place". The Dems need to stand up to such people and let them know the "good ol' days" they long for are over and they're not coming back. The key word in progressive is progress, people, and the Republicans and their supporters must stop standing in the way of progress.

scratcho and Balbus like this.
  7. wrat1

wrat1 Members

8. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Given the fact that the Republicans still control the Senate, and that even if the Georgia runoffs turn out well the Dem margin in that body would be razor thin, I doubt that they'll be able to do much to implement the grander Progressive visions (Medicare for All, Green New Deal, Defund the Police, etc.) But just getting rid of Trump will set Fascism back another four years! That will be a major step toward normalcy.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    scratcho and ZenKarma like this.
  9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

All I hope is that the new leaders will have the balls to stop the Chinese imports that are destroying the US economy.
    Unfortunately it will derail the parasitic import companies who are draining the economy without providing any jobs. These people are without doubt among the richest people in the US, so they will not go down quietly.

PS, we have exactly the same problem almost throughout western Europe.

ZenKarma likes this.
  10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

There is nothing specific to be done about that . May God protect us from Saviors .

wrat1 likes this.
  11. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I think there are a number of specific things that can be done about that: (1) cease and desist efforts to stop vote counting and challenging elections with bogus claims of fraud unsupported by evidence; (2) refrain from divisive rhetoric demonizing political opponents and unpopular minorities; (3) stop packing the courts with unqualified partisan hacks; (4) appoint cabinet officers, especially the Attorney General, who will apply the law impartially, instead of using it as a political weapon.; (5) govern on behalf of all the people, instead of just a minority of partisan supporters; (6) stop taking orders from foreign dictators like Vladimir Putin. Those would be good for a start.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    scratcho and ZenKarma like this.
  12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Well , Mayor , run a good meeting and be wise and wary of the partisan tinkering .

13. Gangster19

Gangster19 Members

Some do! I have to say that most of them are women! The ladies in the party are DO'ERS! I would not want to cross the Vice President Elect! She looks like someone who will do what it takes! No doubt it is going to be TOUGH! They are going to try to make it impossible but it has been done before! FDR faced some of the same uphill things while facing the Depression and WW2! It can be done!!

Tishomingo and ~Zen~ like this.