Do males and females think differently?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Handsinpants, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Handsinpants

Handsinpants Senior Member

As we all know, Males and females differ in some aspects of their brains, notably the overall difference in size, with men having larger brains on average (between 8% and 13% larger), but there are areas of the brain that appear not to be sexually differentiated.

Quoted from: Neuroscience of sex differences - Wikipedia

Do you think the same as I do? That male and female differ in some aspects of their brains.
    For example this situation:
    Car breaks down.
    Male - Tries to fix it first before phoning for help
    Female - Worries about her nails, and phones for help.

If you have anything to contribute to this. Speak out loud!

2. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

They do but you should not take that to mean one is better than the other. Each can compliment the other. The problem is the people who focus on this are usually men's rights activists who want submission from women. There was things I went to my mom with over my dad I just knew she would get it more. There were times when I needed my dad. For example when mom found my Playboys she did not know how talk about it. Dad said 13 was too young to have them, took them away, and tell your mother I yelled at you.

The main limit is I see on women is physical. No matter how many weights they lift it's harder for them to bulk up and genetically maybe she is always going to be 5'3. So if women can pass tests for things like the fire department go for it but they are going to have to work hard.

MeAgain, Handsinpants and Candy Gal like this.
  4. Candy Gal

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think there are differences but it's probably more difficult to discern nature from nurture than we might think or that any particular stereotypical/anecdotal example might lead us to believe. Take your example in the OP, how do we deduce that we can attribute those situational responses to structural brain differences rather than how females and males are raised to act?

Many of the morphological differences I've heard about have had some point of contention, such as the larger amygdala size in men mentioned in the wiki article you linked or women having a higher concentration of connections in the corpus callosum which consists of fibers that allow the hemispheres of the brain to 'communicate' with each other, where some have reached the conclusion that this allows women to be better at multitasking.

Hormonal influence might be overlooked as well, it's possible, even probable, that such influence alters brain structures to some extent but it also might just signal to the brain as to where to allocate responses which may manifest in different thoughts and behaviors without intrinsically different brain regions.

I'm pretty sure there are differences in grey matter and white matter among the sexes, which I think is probably a good reason to assume there are in fact different ways in which males and females think.

6. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I think this sums it up - :)

Men Women.jpg

7. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think the female wrroying about her nails is probably on the back burner in that situation. Truth is nobody teaches females mechanics unless they're specifically interested in it from a young in which not many are. So the car breaks down, she gotta call someone to fix it.

I've also seen plenty of men scratching their heads on the sides of the road too, so the question is absolute fluff as far as I'm concerned. Most men probably lift the hood of a car and hope they find a big red on/off switch that was switched off.

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

is that where that idea comes from? i never heard that theory until i started working where i'm at currently, but for the several years i've been here i keep hearing the women sitting around doing nothing but talking about how only they can multitask, while i've been too busy keeping up with 20 different things at a time to try and refute them.

to be fair, nobody teaches males mechanics unless they're specifically interested in it either. pretty much any mechanical knowledge i have comes from looking at things and following the parts until i figure out what they do and how they must help the whole engine function. there is a lot of head scratching involved, but if you spend enough time looking at the different parts, eventually it all starts to come together.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

ultimately, we're different in some ways, but largely the same. the only major difference that really drives me crazy is the "man flu". which is basically the term that women use to describe how women act when they get sick, yet they somehow attribute it specifically to men, even though we're too busy doing our jobs while sick to sit around and talk about what people do when they're sick.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think it's because the women's nurturing side means when she's sick she still has to keep pushing to feed the kids, look after the kids and man I guess whereas a man will just normally lay there feeling sorry for himself.

I dunno, I don't live with guys lol.

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm not sure where the idea originated. I'm guessing the conclusion actually applies to niche tasks but has become a distorted narrative.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The human mind is designed to determine and orchestrate patterns. I don't think this differs in genders.

Handsinpants likes this.
  14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are the results of being raised different, and even that different in different cultures.
    different roles from pregnancy to weaning, but a mind is a mind is a mind.

so the short answer is no.

when gender roles were more rigid, and that's totally a cultural thing, mental problems from being in a situation of dependence on a narcissist were common.
    so common as to be expected and taken for granted. that's one of those things like race. where we've come a long way but still have yet to entirely flush it out of common cultural assumptions.

Candy Gal and Handsinpants like this.
  15. Candy Gal

16. Candy Gal

17. Handsinpants

18. Handsinpants

19. Handsinpants

20. Handsinpants