do I believe in natural?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Luxiebow, Feb 12, 2009.

1. urbanhedgemonkey

urbanhedgemonkey Member

Come back and state your case when you do. Til then, a little more humility wouldn't go amiss.

2. heads you live

heads you live Member

cheers to that Urban!

god, i'm in such a fighting mood today. i feel the need to slay the monsters.
    must have something to do with having my heart ripped out of my chest on monday.... sigh.... :frown: hopefully my baby girl is in doggy heaven... chasing a bone or something... waiting.... :(

3. Dragonvine

Dragonvine I do Glass

I have to agree with the non naturals one this one... (Non natuals unite!! *Hi5*)

I'm positive the naturals have said 'just forget about you hair when you go natural, don't do anything to it blahblah' Which assumes you're trying to forget you're wanting dreads!! I reaLLy don't see how a mind set can control what you're hair is doing... I mean yes, forgetting about your dreads while they are forming does certainly help, but OBviously I think it's matter over mind in this case xD

I chose the backcombing route for personal reasons. Don't tell me I should have tried the natural way!! I love my locks, they are dreads no matter what. Natural does NOT Make locks any more awesome, at least aesthetically or theoretically, or to anyone else. No one cares how you got your locks... Its a personal journey, with personal choices.

Back to the subject xD There is no conspiracy with luxie's hubby's non-dreads... I can't believe some people would be so arrogant and almost eliteist as to say there is one. His hair didn't dread, end of. Tere are tonnes of people who's hair hasn't dreaded naturally, and a few of those have been mentioned in this thread already. In these cases, backcombing or ripntwist have shown it it a better method for some.

INDIVIDUALS

I think that is the word we are all missing ^^

4. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

I don't like this "us against them" that appears to be in the air over "non-natural" vs "natural" We are a dreadlock community that all share a common interest. I think there needs to be a little more respect regardless of whatever method is chosen. Sure I don't like this elitist air that seem to crop up now and again, equally I don't really like it when I see things that are totally pro do whatever and fuck natural.

Ahh I'm starting to ramble now I can feel it so I'll stop. Anyway I would just like to say all people with dreadlocks should unite and share their experiences nevermind the method..... :)

5. brayingdonkey

brayingdonkey Member

In my experience there's nothing wrong with using a method other than neglect. I tried neglecting my hair and after 5 months of no brushing/ combing and only washing once a week I did not have a single knot. I have very coarse hair and from what I've noticed people with fine hair tend to knot up a whole hell of a lot easier than the folks with coarse. I see nothing wrong with backcombing, waxing (in moderation) crocheting, all that business. Rubberbands on the other hand are one of the things I would advise against.

6. ChildInTime

ChildInTime Member

OKAY! Fair points fair points... but how do we know in the middle of the night the aliens didn't take him into their ship and comb his hair themselves! Without his consent or him knowing!

I'm all for all methods really, for me going natural isn't forgetting that you have hair for 6 months or a year, i'm well aware i have a bush on top of my head, i make sure i water that bush, and i'm going try and give it all the love and tender care it needs

AND HEY, if worst comes to worst, i can always rip n' twist or backcomb :p

7. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

I was thinking earlier on my way to my weekly Walmart-Hell run that I think I wouldnt go natural because of my personality. I am such a control freak, that I even have to manipulate my way into dreadiness. My ability to let go of "control" is even apparent in how I chose my method. Crazy!!!!

8. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

im with merrivale on this one .

9. amybird

amybird Senior Member

If this is how a dreadlock method thread can get....imagine something like a childcare thread! omg :p

10. Callie4Strings

just beat the little bastards!!!!

Kidding!!!!

11. Tzee Xicu the Manifest

Tzee Xicu the Manifest Member

If we don't agree with them, we are elitists. You weren't any more self-righteous than any of them (read the posts). The very title of this thread is anti-neglect; yet if someone starts an anti-backcomb or EVEN ANTI-WAX thread, look out- You are now an elitist and should be treated as such~ Note how they all lunge for your jugular vein in unison? :p

[​IMG]

12. Merrivale

Merrivale Senior Member

I do not believe the thread was intended to be anti-neglect at all. Luxi was merely making an observation that her husband's hair didn't dread and was looking for reasons. That was how I understood it anyway.

13. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

thanx Merrivale, your right. I was simply looking for an ansewr as to how my husbands hair didn't dread! I wish there was more respect here, I've answered this already but clearly Manifest, you aren't reading or picking it up. If someone has beautiful dreads from the neglect method then they have beautiful dreads, same as someone w dreads from backcombing/twist&rip/waxed/non-waxed whatever!

14. Tzee Xicu the Manifest

I believe you meant no harm, Luxiebow. But the title and tone of the thread has an anti-wax sediment. Imagine if I started a thread entitled, "Do I believe in backcombing?" or "Do I believe in wax?"
    Yes, you all know the general path those threads would take. I only ask that you not be so quick to point the finger and label anyone who doesn't agree with you an elitist.

I know you asked for reasons as to why his hair would not dread. When people made suggestions you said it wasn't the case. I am willing to believe that some hair simply cannot dread unless forced, but you say he's never run his fingers through his hair for three years, ever? With no intent to dread, it would seem odd to me that someone would not rub their fingers to their scalp, then raise through the hair while washing, especially rinsing. I'm not saying he did, just that it seems more likely than his hair being impossible to dread. If he didn't even want dreadlocks, he very well could have done this without thinking much of it, therefore, not telling you.

I never said otherwise.

Truth. I see so many people saying stuff like, "non-naturals unite!"

What if I said "Naturals, unite!!" ??? Oh boy, imagine the responses I'd get :p

15. artxinxlies

artxinxlies Member

this thread has literally encouraged me to feel more confident about future posts in this forum. I think for me personally, backcombing is the way i'm going to go, but love looking at how all the different methods mature differently and have different little quirks! I'm glad to be reassured that there are some people here who feel the same!

oh and maybe the term "work" i.e. "natural doesn't work" could be confusing. Sure, all hair might dread...eventually, therefore natural works. But some people want to see results in a timelier fashion, whether that's wrong or right is personal opinion too!

yay dreads!

16. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

luxie is this a joke

17. Callie4Strings

The very title of this thread is "Do I Believe in Natural".

Really right now what is annoying me more than the elitist attitudes are the antagonising ones.

18. brayingdonkey

brayingdonkey Member

I very much doubt its a joke. I had the same problem except I wanted dreads so its obviously not a subconcious decision made by your hair :rolleyes: . My hairwas 6-7 inches long and I tried to go natural for 6 months but I never got a single tiny knot.

19. Tzee Xicu the Manifest

Bu bu but, in the last thread I made it very clear my views were that of my own. My (I) opinion. That didn't stop the toxin. :p

20. Callie4Strings

yep just like assholes right, we all have one