do I believe in natural?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Luxiebow, Feb 12, 2009.

1. enayes

enayes Member

I have been going all natural for about 3 months, my hair is not even 6 inches long and I have knots forming and a few dreadish looking clumps. I can't wait until I get to a year,2 years+etc. Hair will dread.

Sounds like some backcombers are just looking for reassurance about there method of obtaining dreadlocks. Locks are natural guys, believe it.

2. Nico Bouie Freer

Nico Bouie Freer Member

i think it's like Luxie said, different strokes for different folks.

3. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

so how do you explain my husbands story and other peoples? if someone is happy w/ their dreads whatever method these used doesn't matter as long as they are happy and don't need any reassurance.

4. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

men is right!he's getting used to them now and touches them and things which makes me happy^-^he just doesn't like them that much on girls apparantly.I'm over it,I love my heair:)love your new sigpic by the way*swoon*

5. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

haha,here here! you are the perfect example as your hair has every method were talking about. you won't get no heat-were winning!x

6. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Good thread this Luxie :) It's interesting...
    Is there anyone here with "all-natural" dreads who has...I dunno, I don't wanna cause an argument, and sadly this medium doesn't convey tone of voice...I'm asking this out of genuine interest rather than looking to have a dig at anyone...is there some shred of...I dunno kinda like smugness or self-rightousness, but less awful-sounding lol. Ya know? If you aren't doing it for religion, and it seems a strange thing to choose specifically as a way of going on a spiritual journey...and all the months of looking kinda like a scarecrow, and surely it can't always practical...I dunno maybe I just don't get it because I'm very practical and pragmatic in my approach to things...
    Ok I've waffled right off my train of thought. If anyone managed to gleam any meaning or an actual question in there, feel free to answer. Alternatively, just ignore me and I'll probably go away eventually :p
    I guess, I understand why and how it is a special spiritual journey taking the long route...but I feel I got those things on my short route too. Oh blaaah. :confused:

7. mandyland

mandyland Senior Member

^^^
    well put....I think. lol. =]

8. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

haha,amy your funny&confusing^-^I think I know what your trying to say.a lot of people who have gone 'all natural' seem to look down on those who didn't no matter how shit their dreads look! I think it's all very nice and romantic to think, 'ok I'll just let my hair be and it will turn into beautiful dreads over time' that just won't work for some people and that's OK! There is no one way that is better than the other, like I said before it's what works for that person. but tbh, I think these 'natural' dreadies are doing something else than they're saying because I have proof that doing what they tell us(non-residue soap leave your head be,wear a tam)does NOT make dreads like they say they do!

9. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Oh thank fuck for that....I was expecting a barrage of insulted people, and I really am only curious and not judging lol (Don't get me wrong...I don't mind a fight...just wasn't after one on this occasion :p )

:D

Think I broke a personal record for failure-to-elucidate :p

10. windcriesmary

windcriesmary Member

uuuuuh normal shampoo has conditioners it it.
    and just not brushing it didnt mean he didnt run his fingers through or play with it at all. that can prevent the dreading process.
    i dont really understand how you cant "believe" that hair knots by itself...

11. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

As long as you like your hair dont worry, pretty lucky as my boyf has dreads too but he actually really liked my hair before I dreaded it secretly still thinks he does!

Woooo he touches them thats a good start anyway!,get him to dread his again your'd be a well cool dready couple :p

12. enayes

enayes Member

Sounds like your mad about not going natural, and now your trying to convince yourself and others that backcombing is the only way.

I don't know what your husband did to his hair, and neither do you. All I know is that he wasn't trying to get dreadlocks, even though you don't have to try. There's a lot more to your husband's story that your not telling or just don't know about. Try again:smash:

13. amybird

amybird Senior Member

My husband really likes dreads...and though he hadn't objected to my normal hair, when it came to the day of trying to section it and he discovered what a frizzy annoying tangly mess it was he said he didn't like it afterall :p I'm glad I don't have one of those men that Pantene would have us believe only like the very silkiest of hairs lol

14. amybird

amybird Senior Member

*popcorn popcorn*

15. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I already said,that he used non-residue shampoo and never ran his fingers through his hair uuuuuuuuuuh

16. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

knew this thread would cause some contraversay,why don't people read what I write properly before going off on one? I'm not hiding anything, there is no more to my husbands story. I was with him all the time during this time! we were at college together and I know him-he never touches his hair, he just doesn't care for it! I'm not 'mad' about going natural, if it works for you then that's amazing and I didn't backcomb myself so I don't know what that would have done to my hair or if it would have worked for me. All I'm saying is that there are a few ways to 'get' dreadlocks and natural clearly won't work for everyone!

17. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Quite.

18. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

I mean I'm realli just looking for an answer, I'm not trying to knock any one way or big up another. It's just like if someone told me the ingrediants to make great cupcakes and I used all the right ingrediants but the cupcakes came outta the oven as a freakin' quiche I'd be wondering whats up w/ the recipe, what did I do wrong? The point of this thread is that my husband used the 'recipe' thats given out here many a time to wannabe dreadheads but it didn't turn into dreads!

19. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

your husband maybe 1 of those whos hair is naturaly resistent to dreading althouggh it looksd like it should dread easily, perhaps its excessively oily

also..intention does play a part in it if he didnt want dreads then if they began to form even subcionceiscly hed do things to prevent them

also..natural dreads progress at different paces, he may just take much longer then most

i never tell people not to backcomb or rip n twist, i only strongly suggest they try natural 1st because it is a far better more rewarding methgod (mandy..come back in year, by then your naturals will be your faves)
    most ppl dont ever have to backcomb and shouldnht unless really is necasary well technicaly nobody will ever have to but for very few the length of time needed may outweaigh thye millits of theyre patience
    generraly though most will find theres not alotta difference in how long it takes to get mature dreads

20. mmg

mmg fish out of water

my dreads formed ALL NATURAL when i was lifeguarding this summer. without the intention to start dreads i was playing with my hair idly while watching the kiddies swim in the pool. after a while knots formed, and as i'd swim the chlorine made my hair courser, i through a hat on and forgot about it...a lil while later the knots got longer.

now let me say this is my second set of dreads. i back-combed my first set while I was in high school. the first time through i thought i internalized the patience, spirituality, discipline, and apathy that dreads supposedly represent. however now that i have nice natural locks with no wax and no conscious effort, hindsight 20/20, i did not have any of these qualities, just the appearance of them.

natural dreads ftw. i've got tiny baby locks poppin up all over my head, this never happened with my back-combed, wxy, crochet dreads.

so i dunno, luxie, why his dreads didn't come in and mature. but i only stopped combing in april or may of 2008 and since then jah has blessed me with beautiful locks and and all of those qualities i had once thought i personified.