Do healthy vegetarians exist?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

Actually - I would suggest that your continued need to attack and force a defence of my lifestyle would really be a good indication of your insecurity. The question is - why should it matter to you. or any meat eater for that matter?
    And as usual in these kinds of online debates / arguments - it's easier for the less informed to use things like sarcasm, insinuation of insecurity and inflammatory labeling like 'self proclaimed'. As well as false statements about 'intended diets'.
    I'd be willing to bet that you have absolutely no education on the matter beyond your own limited experiences, and based on your contents so far - that the issue really doesn't even matter to you that much.
    I get it. I've met a million like you. Keep flaming guy. I'll be waiting for that chess game.

2. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Haha. Yeah you are right, no point in arguing with a fundamentalist vegetarian.

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

A fundamental vegetarian. :D

4. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

There's actually no point in arguing at all if all you have to offer is stereotyping, labeling and one liners. I'm glad you bowed out. And I guess since it seems you are forfeiting the chess game, and you concede the argument/debate you started - that makes the score;

Vegetarian - 2
    You - 0

Hmmmm - adding a little credence to my first post ;)

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Yes!! My intent was to draw people like "Blue Meeets Green" out of the woodwork, and I succeeded. I love how he, like so many vegetarians, resorts to hyperbole (I do, too, except more often than not I am being sarcastic or ironic) and outright fallacious statements about blood clots, high blood pressure, etc. when it comes to attempting to make a point or refute an accusation. Yes, vegetarians will lump ALL meat, no matter how it is raised, in with the ill effects of eating dirty, factory-farmed meat pumped full of chemicals and hormones.

I know I did the same thing in my thread to an extent with regard to vegetarians, but I admitted it, and I admitted that there are healthy vegetarians who eat right. I never claimed otherwise, but like many vegetarians, you found it easier to react before thinking.

6. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

i'm not an idiot.. and for the record i used to be a vegetarian and my girlfriend is a vegetarian. i dont have a problem with vegetarianism or veganism whatsoever..

fake meat is bad for you. processed soy bullshit and wheat gluten.. haa.. you'd be much better off eating a nice piece of fish.. or if you're going to be vegetarian... a sweet potato, a portabello or king oyster mushroom, eggplant... list goes on

i dont feel threatened or inadequate. and what the fuck ever to the second half of all that bullshit

ok lets go :rolleyes: physical: i hold a top level cycling license.. got on the podium in several grueling mountain bike races this year including a 12 hour race half of which was in the rain as well as a 34 mile race which went over 6 mountains in freezing and snowing condtions. my 10k running time is 34 minutes 22 seconds, and my heart rate is 44 beats per minute.

mental: engineering student with 5 years previous relevant work experience. the name of the game is creative problem solving and critical thinking.

its not better for every person. you're making sweeping statements too so you're no better. no guilt or inadequacy here are you mental. reference above paragraph re physical challenges superman :rolleyes:

oh i wasn't aware that every single person that wasn't a vegetarian or vegan ate a crap diet.

many parts of the world people are vegetarian out of circumstance rather than choice

constipation are you kidding me? i take three shits before lunch, and its not because i'm full of it... its because i eat a fuck ton of fresh fruits and vegetables!

7. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

I don't have that.

8. Pressed_Rat

But that is what PETA says, so it is probably true.

9. Pressed_Rat

Hilarious... just go to Google and type in "erectile dysfunction, meat," and look at where the first couple of returns link to.

10. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Where do they get a good amount of protein from ?
    I don't eat red meat or pork since i find it disgusting, and even though I eat chicken, fish, cheese, milk I still find it hard to maintain protein levels without supplments. So how do you veggies get enough protein ?

11. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

Actually - I don't believe I made a single fallacious statement. And though I could post link after link to back up my claims - I suggest you type into any search engine any one of the health risks I listed in conjunction with the words 'meat diet' and see what you get.

I don't believe I did this either - but I do understand it is easier for you to continue to try to attack me rather than actually argue the facts. I simply stated that a vegetarian diet was healthier than a meat eating diet. Of course if you hunt your meat or eat free range it is healthier than McDonalds - but it is still less healthy than a veg diet. If you read my posts you'll notice I did mention the difference between industrial and non industrial societal meat trends.

Actually - I think I am the only one here so far who didn't resort to reaction and instead have answered every question and statement made against vegetarians with a well thought out and clear retort. But I do understand it's easier for you to attempt to spin my replies rather than deal with the fact that you have no real argument - and in fact are just looking to get a rise from folks. That's fine - but I am here to actually communicate and attempt to create a better world away from the mainstream ideas - including the idea of thinking its cool to make inflammatory remarks about a subculture which you don't believe simply for the sake of conflict.

I am stunned at the amount of mainstream views and tactics of communication which go on on this forum - but I guess that is to be expected when most people lack self reflection and are really better at quippy one liners than in depth and well thought out discourse.

12. Pressed_Rat

See, that's just the thing. Most vegetarians DON'T get enough protein -- esp. the men. That is why you RARELY see any strong, muscular looking vegetarians. Most of them are very skinny and weak looking, though I have known a vegetarian who regularly goes to the gym and is very much built. So again, I am not trying to say this is everyone who is a vegetarian, just most I have seen.

There are plenty of non-meat sources of protein like beans, nuts, whole grains, seeds, etc. but none of these are comparable to the protein found in meat.

13. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

true - veg proteins are not individually comparable with individual meat proteins - but - the veg protein is also missing the fat & cholesterol.

The fact is - todays standards tell us at that a woman over the age of 14 should have about 46 or so grams of protein a day - a Man over the same age btwn 52 and 56 grams.

This is easy to do with veg sources as mentioned - nuts, beans, some grains and some veggies.

As for an earlier statement about fake meats - true - some are processed BS - but many are not. Instead they are high protein - low fat, high vitamins. As for eating fish instead - good luck with that - all of the world's ocean fish have now been shown to have ever higher amounts of mercury - and farmed fish is full of hormones and chemicals.

As for the cyclist engineer guy using terms like 'retard' - sure bro - I'm in California.

14. machinist

I will kick your ass!

15. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

Yep - but you are not an idiot ;)

Like I said - I'm in Cal.

16. Pressed_Rat

Your body is made up of fat and cholesterol. Your nervous system is made almost entirely of cholesterol, and it needs cholesterol to function properly. These things are good for you, and very important. Most vegetarians have a deficiency of fat and cholesterol in their diets, and that is a HUGE problem with the vegetarian diet. Many vegetarians are deficient in many things humans need in their diets. Fat and cholesterol are just two of those things.

The fat found in organic, grass-fed beef is GOOD, clean fat.

17. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

Where is your evidence. Talk about making fallacious statements. It's absurd that in an age of heart problems, diabetes, obesity and a multitude of other ailments that can be directly linked to an excessive meat and processed foods diet that you would make these kinds of statements. Stop trying to misinform folks with alarmist statements that have no real bearing in reality.
    Sure - maybe you've met a few veggies who do it wrong - my question to you is - have you ever met any who do it right?

Your statements are total BS, you know it - yet for some reason you feel this need to attack. But oh yeah - we've already established that your whole intent for this thread was to provoke rather than inform. You've already owned your own contradictory statements and false intentions - Give it up.....

18. machinist

i just play one on the internet because i have a fucking sense of humor and come here specifically to be retarded after a long day.. btw i'll still kick your ass

19. Pressed_Rat

Processed foods, yes. Factory farmed meats, yes. They can be blamed for the ill quality of health of many people. Stop lumping this in with real food and meat that is raised organically and sustainably just because you have an agenda. Nobody here is defending processed foods or dirty factory meat. I don't eat that shit.

20. Blue Meets Green

Blue Meets Green Member

You may not 'eat that shit' but you are promoting it when you promote a meat based diet. Because that is what is abundant and available. It is all shit. And if you are able to actually have a meat based diet free of all processed and chemically enhanced meats - then you are the only person I have ever met who does that. You must live on an awesome farm in the middle of nowhere with no roads, spring water, and an amazing source of feed for your animals.

Let's talk about the realities. The majority of meat consumption in this world is unhealthy, chemically altered, earth polluting - produced thru exploitation of the local land and populace. Are you going to refute this.

Also - the majority of the first world meat eaters - eat an excess which can be directly linked to a multitude of health problems - which - amazingly have just become rampant after our extended experiment with a western meat based diet.

Thirdly - you can not live on a diet of meat alone - whereas you can live on a diet of vegetables alone.

Fourth - the amount of resources it takes to produce meat for one human is equivalent to the amount of resources it would take to feed a multitude of folks with a veg based diet.

Anything else??