DMT comparison

Discussion in 'DMT' started by Black_Lotus, Oct 20, 2011.

1. magic_rocks

magic_rocks ٱللهِ ٱلرّ

Lol. Considering DMT as mushroom crack is an accurate definition, and conceptualization, in my opinion. Absolutely. If this isnt immediately apparent... dare I say it? :D

I mean I realize we are all different and going to approach these chemicals in our own unique little way, but honestly, if the innocent humor in Writers analogy is going to rub you the wrong way, perhaps a key aspect of psychedelia is being neglected here?

2. Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus Member

Reading more about Albert Hoffman I didn't realize how far he went into the world of psychedelics. I was aware he had thousands of trips, but he also dipped into the world of mushrooms, discovering psilocybin as the potent ingredient of said mushrooms, he touched salvia and DMT trying to find the psychoactive properties as he finds them vary valuable.

Until his death bed he convinced the world that there are medical benefits for these psychedelics, and hopefully we will soon discover this potential and open our minds to psychedelia! One thing I don't understand is his first trip supposedly lasted only a few hours...? When he first ingested LSD via his fingertips from the lab

3. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

Perhaps only a few hours of primary psychedelic effects. I understand that his first accidental ingestion was not as strong as his first intentional ingestion of 250ug. If it was a low dose like say 50ug then there would only be a few hours of really noticeable psychedelic effects sandwhiched between merely subtle bodily effects.

4. theprosperone

theprosperone Member

Read DMT: The Spirit Molecule. This will clear up any answers you have about Dmt quite easily and it is a great read.

5. O.W.L

O.W.L Member

sometimes we just need to go off on some one...its in our nature....I did it this morning. lol

6. M3z!

M3z! Member

I've only done it once myself, The beginning of the trip did reminded me highly of a dream. it basically made me relive a self damaging experience I had in my past. It made me feel the physical effects I had felt at that time as well as this particular noise I was hearing then. After I resurfaced some from myself I was able to see the beauty all around me, I was seeing energy everywhere definitely plan to do it again :)

7. samson smith

samson smith Banned

Interesting topic!! Thanks for this nice post!!

8. theprosperone

theprosperone Member

Actually you're mistaken. It is proven that DMT exists in the human body and brain. It just isn't proven where it comes from, its a hypothesis that it is created in the pineal gland. That is the part that isn't fact, they haven't been able to prove where our endogenous Dmt comes from.

Its all in the Spirit Molecule. Anyone who ever wants to take DMT seriously has to read that book....its great.

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

He also discovered mescaline, as I recall. And invented at least one mescaline synthesis.

10. Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus Member

I thought mescaline was the cactus that native tribes in Mexico used for rituals. I know Aldous Huxley was really into mescaline in his years before LSD
    I wouldn't be surprised if Hofmann tried it however

11. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

The cactus contains mescaline. Natives had used the plant as a whole for vision quests but the actual discovery of the active compound mescaline and extraction of it is something else :)

it's like cannabis -> THC and mushrooms -> psilocin

12. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

that description gave me an image of like a scientific columbus...he "discovers" the active ingredient in something that had been in use for centuries.

i still see the value in identifying the active ingredient though, as a biochemist myself..

13. Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus Member

Albert Hofmann is like the king of psychedelics then... how the hell!? Salvia is like the only thing he failed at finding first!

14. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

Wouldn't say "king".

What about Richard Schulze who collected the samples of the plants to be sent to Hofmann, or Shulgin who synthesised a fuckload of new psychedelics. And then Grof, who did a load of studies on LSD and even came up with holotropic breathwork(would that be considered a psychedelic experience, along with sensory deprivation? Or just "exploration of the consciousness?). That's only a handful of the brains behind what we "know" today too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsh2TuVEytk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsh2TuVEytk
    Looks crazy as hell, but I'm up for giving it a go at some point.

Anyway, they all just contributed to psychedelics in different ways and none of em could have done there work without the other.. as with most things in life :p

15. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Sigh.... This post hurts my head.

My disappointment at the above aside, I also recall that he traveled through mexico and maybe other south/central american areas to find and try mushrooms, morning glory, cacti, and possibly salvia, first hand. And maybe datura and other such things that locals ripped them off with, what I was reading described some frustration that he had with a reluctance of locals to work with them, before underhanded locals would improperly guide them through weak trips using sketchy substances.

16. deleted

deleted Visitor

It must be nice not growing up in the ghetto..

17. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

It really is:2thumbsup:

And those I know who didn't have that luxury now have to listen to me drone on for days before I'll let them do anything from drop acid to light a blunt:sunny:

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Mescaline or 3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine is a naturally occurring psychedelic alkaloid of the phenethylamine class used mainly as an entheogen.
    It occurs naturally in the peyote cactus (Lophophora williamsii),[1] and the Peruvian Torch cactus (Echinopsis peruviana), and in a number of other members of the Cactaceae plant family. It is also found in small amounts in certain members of the Fabaceae (bean) family, including Acacia berlandieri.[2] Mescaline was first isolated and identified in 1897 by the German Arthur Heffter and first synthesized in 1919 by Ernst Späth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mescaline

Your usually pretty good with your facts Roor. Your oversite surprised me.

@BlackLotus
    Sadly most only remember Hoffman for LSD, but forget that he is responsible for many lives being saved and children being born.
    He discovered LSD while researching drugs/plants for use in obstetrics and the reason he was focusing on ergot is because it had been used by midwives for centuries as both a means to induce labor and stop uterine hemorrhaging during childbirth.
    The drugs he developed (don't recall the names) have saved countless lives.

But yes, after his experience with LSD his life/career took a different direction into studying these substances.

SAFETY NOTE: Because lysergamides do induce uterine contractions and decrease uterine blood flow, they should never be taken by a pregnant woman or a woman trying to conceive.