District 9

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Movies' started by hotwater, Aug 11, 2009.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

yeah.. but not going to see it,, but I do like what I see of it.. Ill catch it on dvd when the street dealer has it.

3. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

If the main character is South African then I don't think I will enjoy it.

4. Bonkai

Bonkai Later guys

I am pretty excited about it myself, surprised there isn't much buzz about it well compared to Transformers 2 and other summer blockbusters. Been waiting to see this for a while now, hope it's as good as the previews.

5. chajjohnson

chajjohnson Member

how can you not be fucking excited for this shit? im so pumped for it. Im going to see it as soon as i can

6. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

Of course I'm excited. It looks frickin awesome!

7. Shale

Shale ~

District 9
    Movie Blurb by Shale
    August 14, 2009

GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

OK, if you are a sci-fi movie buff you have probably already seen it or plan to see it this weekend. Even if you are not into a good sci-fi story but like action films with good FX and lots of things blowing up (particularly ppl), you will like this movie. It has all the trappings of a summer popcorn cruncher, PLUS a unique and feasible story.

The story starts out like Alien Nation, where a huge damaged extra-terrestrial spacecraft with hundreds of thousands of stranded aliens land and seek asylum. Only this time it is not LA. It hovers outside of Johannesburg and has been there for two decades.

Hovering Alien Ship
    [​IMG]

The story starts in documentary fashion, much like the news reports at the beginning of Alien Nation except that the aliens here are much different in appearance, resembling crustacean humanoids and are called prawns by the humans. Unlike the Newcomers in Alien Nation, our crustaceans don't seem particularly organized or intelligent and end up living in deplorable shanty town conditions, (Hmm, shades of Soweto?) being exploited by Nigerian gangsters.

Even tho they arrived in a technological marvel that defies gravity for decades and they have some really advanced weaponry, they aren't that organized and have been disarmed. The humans would love to use those weapons but it is tied to alien DNA - humans can't make it turn on.

Our main character is Wikus van der Merwe (Sharlto Copley) a bureaucrat in Multi National United, a private military corporation that oversees the confinement of the prawn. After 20 years of exasperation with these bothersome intruders who have had riotous rampages, it is voted that they be relocated to another ghetto further away. Wikus is to head up that relocation.

Prawn Gotta Leave
    [​IMG]

Of course things don't go smoothly and our bureaucrat ends up getting targeted himself by MNU and the Nigerian gangsters and has to align with one of the prawn. While that is a one sentence synopsis of the movie it makes one hell of a ride that you really ought to go see.

Bureaucrat Turned Warrior
    [​IMG]

I think part of the realism of this movie is how it shows the disturbing prejudice and callousness of some humans - maybe even a majority of humans. The story co-writer and director, Neill Blomkamp is under 30 but still spent his first 18 years in South Africa and has a sense of the tragedy of apartheid which comes thru in much of the prejudice and callousness of the humans toward the prawn.

This is a relatively low-budget movie ($30 million or one sixth of GI Joe) but it really delivers on the special effects and CGI. The aliens are believable - you see them as actual characters, not just effects and the characters tell a story.

This is a busy month for movies and I may not get time to see this again - but I am going to try. I will be getting the DVD when it comes out and put it in my collection next to Alien Nation and Enemy Mine.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

thank you shale..:cheers2:

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Actually that guy in the bottom pic looks a little like a younger Shale

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Well I finally saw District 9 and it wasn’t quite what I expected.

I was expecting the usual hollywood humans vs aliens slice and dice, but instead there was more to it including the unusual setting in Johannesburg, South Africa which allowed the storyline to develop into an allegory on apartied - Replacing the Afrikans with Aliens [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotwater

11. stacy lulu

stacy lulu yeeeaah buddy

Im excited to see it

12. SamanthaHazelEyes

SamanthaHazelEyes Member

I saw it. I didn't expect to like it at all (I normally dislike alien films), but I found it actually really good. Very well developed characters and a really intriguing plot. Johannesburg is an interesting place to have an alien invasion...

13. iloveit

iloveit Member

i'm looking forward to seeing it sometime soon. i think 90 percent of sci fi is garbage but i'm always looking for that 10 percent. when a sci fi movie is done well it's a lot of fun,uually good for repeat viewings!

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I fucking loved this movie

Real sink your teeth into concepts rather than the usual fluff

The Sth African thing was a good idea too, all the accents made it seem fresher, more real. Although fook doesnt sound as ballsy as fuck.

Aliens and sci fi, but like the best zombie movies had that shocking aspect that when it comes to the crunch life means nothing, that kind of takes your breath away.

Some scenes that are just plain nasty, soooo aint a date movie

15. danwo

danwo Member

This movie surprised the hell out of me. I walked into this not thinking much but when I walked out I was amazed at what I saw. I love it 5/5 stars.

16. ishikabe

ishikabe Member

This was a great movie.

17. Face Eater

Face Eater Banned

Howzit. I kent weet to see et.

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I just watched it...I liked it..

19. O.D.T.

O.D.T. Member

it was sick. i am eager for the possible district 10

20. jacknthebox

jacknthebox Member

For me, this was an absolutely horrible movie! There are so many holes in the story line and everything from the acting to the writing is was just awful for me. I wanted to walk out literally immediately but especially within the first ten minutes - instead I stayed for the sake of the person I was with, my brother - there's an hour and I half I won't be getting back! Incidently, my brother agreed that there were holes in the story but thought the movie 'ok'