Dissenter from Gab

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by 6-eyed shaman, Mar 1, 2019.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Gab.com, a free speech social media site has launched the browser add-on Dissenter :D

Dissenter enables a comment section for articles, movies, youtube clips, and op-ed pieces where the comments have been disabled! :tonguewink:

This is a huge breakthrough! Dissenter drives a wooden stake through the dark cold fascist heart of Silicone Valley :smilingimp:

Here's a quick tutorial:

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You know, thats exactly what we need. The world has truly been bereft of people spouting their opinions on the internet until now.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

not sure if sarcasm.. you have been paying attention to censorship by media giants and tech firms? ... Sorry I find shamans a video a little confusing. styx a little more straight forward.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I've heard of Gab; specifically, I've heard there are lots of anti-Jewish opinions circulated there. From Wikipedia:

The Gab platform itself has engaged in antisemitic commentary. In August 2018, in response to a post calling for the shutdown of the site, the platform's Twitter account responded with a post suggesting that it is unsurprising for a person with a Jewish last name to oppose "free speech," and followed up with a citation to a Bible verse (Revelation 3:9) that referred to Jewish nonbelievers of Jesus Christ as members of the "synagogue of Satan". On October 31, 2018, The Washington Post pointed to two messages on the Gab Twitter account and wrote that they "raise questions about whether they cross the line into impropriety." One captioned a photo of two men, one with Jewish sidelocks, with "I'm calling the cops on both and getting my shotgun ready, just saying" and another argued for opposition to immigration by saying "Let a bunch of Somalians migrate to your neighborhood and see if you change your mind." Torba alternately explained the tweets as possibly fake or doctored, later "clearly satire / comedy," and then much later, "a few edgy tweets posted by interns." The tweets were later deleted.

Gab (social network) - Wikipedia

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It was sarcasm, I just think its humorous because I feel like you cant get away from opinions on the internet

I dont really have an opinion on this, speaking of opinions, was just being a smart ass

Orison likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

so i can finally troll that little leukemia girl?

eggsprog, WritersPanic and Orison like this.
  7. 6-eyed shaman

Smells like a hit piece.

Gab was shut down temporarily and put under FBI investigation because the synagogue shooter had an account on Gab.

Ugly opinions are just a common side effect of a free speech society. This is the truth.

The speech you disagree with the most, is the very speech you should fight to protect.
    When the government and corporations become able to shut up your opponent, you will be next.

Mustard Tiger and WritersPanic like this.
  8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Pretty much what it boils down to.

If someone wants to disable comments on their video, why shouldn't they have that choice respected? Talk about it in person or on another venue if it is something worthy of discussion.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The sort of people attracted to this site will often be racist. I mean who is upset their views are "censored" elsewhere in today's world? Alt-right people for example our HF member who brings it to our attention. It's the people they don't like who control the system according to them.

This is not a site for brownie recipes .

Nice concept though. They are really doing it. Who needs Twitter right?

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't know much about the site GAB, but Dissenter seems like a decent idea. It's not anything I would use, personally, but if people want to discuss particular videos and articles that have had comment sections disabled, I don't see that as a problem.

If there is as much of an ideological angle to the site as some are purporting, I'm sure one could come up with another plug-in , that mirrors it with opposing idelogies.

It's a plug-in, it's not overriding the comment section of the main url, essentially it is another venue.

WritersPanic and Orison like this.
  11. deleted

deleted Visitor

I dont even know how it would be effective. Have you read any comments on BitChute is a peer-to-peer social video platform. . ?
    Its a comment section wasteland.
    I also dont find comments all that interesting beyond the first scroll on youtube.
    alt tech, steemit, bitcoin blah blah .. u will get a .000000000000000000000000002 satoshi if join, and earn bitcoin for comments in a ponzi scheme - collecting cereal toys will probably be worth more in the future. but thats another dumb subject..

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Gotcha. I should have put 2 and 2 together on that one.

Also, welcome back ;).

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't intently follow any comment sections on sociopolitical stuff really but I have heard some of these social media platforms draw alot of discussion.

It seems like the idea is in the spirit of Hacker Ethos, much of which networking through the internet was founded on. The only controversial thing would be is if they are using that to legitimize other ideology.

Orison likes this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Commenting on a site from another site is a huge breakthrough?

15. lode

lode Banned

Good. I was waiting for a plugin that mandates tracking my web history so I can bitch about Captain Marvel it comes out.

But however you need to get your alt-right safe spaces.

16. 6-eyed shaman

The fact that your voice could be censored for an unpopular opinion should trouble you. Let me know when the corporate oligarchs silence or deplatform you for wrong-think, and I will fight with you at your side to get your voice heard.

I know you won’t do the same for me as you’d be the first to throw me in front of a bus though

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  17. deleted

deleted Visitor

It doesnt work with those that use the internet anonymously ..

18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I get your sentiment here, and I agree that censorship is bad; but commenting on every video is a fairly new phenomenon. We used to be confined to speaking in person or in delayed print commentary since newspapers and TV news couldn't be commented on instantaneously. Do you feel like we were more censored in those days?

19. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Again this is the free market you love. No one can make you think or do anything. So on the business platform I create I as the business owner make the rules. Disney will kick you out of the park for any political shirt or statement for example.

You don't understand the limits of "free speech" and you show it again and again. Free speech is not the right to say anything anywhere and people just have to deal with it. It is only the right to not face a criminal charge for saying something unpopular.

What you ask for takes away from others rights.

20. 6-eyed shaman

Yes we are being censored by threatening force these days. For example, Youtube has demonitized some of it's most popular channels that speak controversial viewpoints. The media uses the scapegoat of radical Islamic terrorism to justify silencing all who criticize or satirize Islam. And more.

They can and they have been able to silence us by taking away people's platforms through force.

A theme park like Disney World is private property. You cannot hold a protest in a privately-owned theme park as easily as you can on public land. Do you support privatizing all parks and roadways to silence controversial speech?

With free speech there is consequences. Hurting your feelings is not a criminal charge. You getting upset and punching someone for saying something you don't like, is.

Huh?

Mustard Tiger likes this.