Discussion Thread for Covid-19 Treatment

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by newbie-one, Nov 18, 2020.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Hi @wilsjane . I'm quoting you here because it seems like Jen's thread ought to be reserved for her, and a general discussion about treatment methods would be off-topic
    It sounds like you're a smart and educated man. I'm not debating that. The point I'm trying to make is that whenever someone says "Action x under conditions y will lead to result z", that's a testable hypothesis. Unless there's a well-designed study with an adequate sample size that says that taking vitamin c in a certain dosage will prevent or cure Covid, I don't think it's something that should be recommended. Asking a doctor if it would be a good idea sounds reasonable enough, though some doctors might be inclined to give in to something like that if a patient seems gung-ho, just to avoid an argument.

I'm not also not saying that vitamins couldn't be helpful in treating Covid. This study suggests that a combination of vitamins, d, b12, and magnesium could help prevent the progression of Covid in older patients
    A cohort study to evaluate the effect of combination Vitamin D, Magnesium and Vitamin B12 (DMB) on progression to severe outcome in older COVID-19 patients.

That's a small study, but the results are pretty dramatic.

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, vitamin C clears heat, or has a cooling effect. If a person has already been infected, the nature of the invading pathogen is hot, and the patient's digestion is strong, a little vitamin C might make things better. However, if a person has not yet been infected, the pathogen is not hot in nature, or the patient's digestion is impaired, vitamin C might make things worse. This is because the Wei Qi, the primary defensive Qi of the body, is yang in nature, and cooling foods may tend to undermine yang. Also, if the patient's middle burner (the digestion) is impaired, ingesting something cool or cold would tend to further impair its function, and therefor exacerbate any deficiencies in the patient, including a deficiency in Wei Qi.

My point here is not to debate the particular merits of traditional Chinese medicine, but give an example how the same treatment, under different circumstances, could produce different results.