diper rash

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by elizabeth89, May 10, 2004.

1. elizabeth89

elizabeth89 Member

what do you all use for diper rash? especially when things like destin aren't working??

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

My mom says to use Vaseline....one of the best things is air, I think, so just let the kid air out for a few minutes each time you change his/her diaper. Noah got really bad poopies a few weeks ago that led to an awful diaper rash, but I couldn't let him dry out because we can't afford new carpet. :) That was a terrible week. All's well now.

Good luck!

3. TerrapinRose

TerrapinRose Member

I've used Weleda calendula baby cream,and Xander has never had a rash that didn't clear up right away.Also fresh air,if it's possible. We are fortunate to live in a climate where he can run butt-naked through the yard more often than not,and also fortunate enough to have a wooden privacy fence so the more conservative parents in the neighborhood don't see him doing it;)

4. Hippie_Muncher

Hippie_Muncher Member

use something that doesnt keep moister in like vasiline or anything greasy.

Powder and cornstarch are a no no as well because it can go into babies lungs. As for what to use I used this stuff called Ihle's Paste you can get it a shoppers it is the BEST thing ever for diaper rashes I found. I used EVERYTHING under the sun (including letting my son run around diaperless) and that was the only thing that got rid of his rash with in a day. its pretty much a paste version of powder I think. Its only 10 bucks MAX and I bought it over a year ago and still have alot left(I use it daily to prevent diaper rashes too)

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

well, it depends on the cause of the rash...

if it's a yeast infection rash, then you'll have to treat it with an antifungal cream. ask your doc or pharmacist which one to use. if you put a heavy cream on a yeast rash, it'll get worse.

if it's from skin being wet too long, then make sure that dipes get changed more often and leave the skin bare as much as possible. The zinc based creams help protect against overnight wetness. i liked peneten cream.

also, some babies are sensitive to the chemicals in disposible dipes. you might want to try cloth if you havent already.

6. Mari

Mari Member

I used to use Zincofax...worked great. Also don't do the new diaper up right away, let the skin dry, play with baby for a few minutes (make sure you have a little towel just to lay across if it's a boy lol), put the cream on and then the diaper. :)

7. Terelda

Terelda Member

I hope the rash is clearing up...

Another thing is if you are using commercial wipes, make sure they don't contain alcohol or perfumes, owie!

Letting them air dry really is the best thing I've found, I do use penatin (is that similar to Desitin??) Basically any zinc oxide cream works wonders...and changing the dipes frequently for a few days too. ETA: I meant to say MORE frequently!!LOL

8. MamaDee26

MamaDee26 Member

I swear by calendula, it clears my son's diaper rash over night. if that dosen't work try Aquaphor by eucerin, that work's pretty well too.

9. mmelody

mmelody Member

Fresh air is good...though someone told me of an old fashioned remedy once of painting raw egg white onto the rash and leaving it to dry before putting the nappy/diaper back on...I never tried it but think mabye it would work by adding a protective membrane over the sore bits...and would certainly do no harm.

10. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Yeast (thrush) diaper rash needs to be treated with an antifungal. A yeast rash is angry and red, raised with a defined edge. It it spotted with small bumps and is very uncomfortable, some babies even smell like bread. If the creams and ointments don't help, a round of Diflucan oral antifungal (for mama, too, if they are breastfeeding) is the best treatment.

For regular diaper rash, I always used brand name Desitin. (Why doesnt that look spelled right?) Sage complained that the "Creamy" type Desitin burned, so I don't use it. Regular Desitin always worked wonders with non yeast diaper rashes with my kids.

I love the smell of Desitin in the morning!

I used to make my own wipe solution. In an old baby wipe box I would place distilled water, a few drops of Dr. Bronner's Baby Hemp and Castile liquid soap, a teaspoon or two of baking soda (deacidifies the skin after stool) and a few drops of tea tree oil. I sometimes would put some gycerin in it also, just a drop, for softness. Don't keep anything cloth or paper in the box, just dip the washcloth into the water when you need it (keeping the cloth or paper towels in the water encourages bacterial growth.) Throw it away after two days or so in the winter and every day in the summer. You don't want to be putting bacteria on your baby, and even the tea tree won't keep it bacteria free for more than a day or so. This has a nice smell, has no chemicals and really cleans.

11. tom

tom Member

Aveeno butt rash cream works really good and it doesn't make the little guy scream. . Try changing the diaper the moment he/she lets one go, avoid acidic foods and juices,lay off the citrus drinks, apple juice and sauce especially if they have the squirts. You could also just let you kid go diaper free and air dry, maybe try hanging 'em by their ankles from a clothes line in the yard along with the rest of the laundry.